Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666138 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4905 on: March 08, 2011, 07:15:21 pm »

Nifty, thanks. I've been leaving trails of horrible potions behind me as I work on Necromancy. I guess that's one explanation for how dungeons get full of nasty drinkables :
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: March 08, 2011, 07:17:54 pm »

Is there any practical application for Fulsome Distillation, or is it purely for skill raises?

Why would they implement a spell that's completely useless?

Evaporate lets you turn negative potions into clouds.  With that one level 2 spell, you can basically cast Mephitic Cloud, Poison Cloud and several other spells if you have the right potions.  Distillation gets you the right potions.

To be fair, you can turn positive/neutral potions into clouds too... you just wouldn't want to. Also, Poison Cloud (the spell) functions fairly differently, lasting a much longer time and dispersing differently (it flood-fills 9 squares from the starting point, instead of being restricted to a 3x3 area).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:04 pm »

Is there any practical application for Fulsome Distillation, or is it purely for skill raises?

Lessee... potions of water can be used to make clouds of steam to block vision, and they also give a tiny amount of nutrition, which might be useful if you're a spriggan or something. Turning mutagenic corpses into potions of mutation gives you three mutations per corpse, instead of one per chunk, and they last forever while corpses and chunks rot. It also lets you get the delicious mutations even while playing a race that can't normally eat chunks, such as a spriggan or a vampire.

Potions of poison, confusion, slowing, degeneration and decay have obvious combat applications. Bottling corpses and turning them into murder clouds is basically what all my transmuters do before getting spider form with its formidable melee capabilities. And what several of my transmuters do after getting spider form.

You mean like projected noise? :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:32 pm »

Projected noise is sorta-useful as a distraction, which is the point. It's not very useful outside of particular circumstances, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: March 08, 2011, 07:27:25 pm »

Have you ever used projected noise, or seen anyone use it? Or heard a story of someone using projected noise? I certainly haven't. If the monsters haven't seen you yet, and you don't want to just fight them, it is pretty much always better to just run away.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: March 08, 2011, 07:27:49 pm »

Have you ever used projected noise, or seen anyone use it? Or heard a story of someone using projected noise?

Yes, especially in ziggurats.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: March 08, 2011, 07:45:47 pm »

*ahem*

Scroll of Random Uselessness.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: March 08, 2011, 08:11:36 pm »

Except it requires no resources of the player to use those, and after the first time you identify them (which means using them a maximum of one time), you know they're useless. They're basically there as a red herring.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: March 08, 2011, 09:08:16 pm »

You can also use them to train spellcasting relatively painlessly.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: March 09, 2011, 12:01:49 am »

If your a vamp transmuter, evaporating potions of blood gives you a cloud of poison, steam, or fire, each at a 1/3 rate. Very powerful and a much better use of clean corpses then making water potions out of em.

But yeah, as a spriggan, its a source of minor food, which is massively effective as a spriggan thanks to each point lasting far longer, and evaporating confuse potions lets you train fire magic instead of air magic for mephetic, which is something you may or may not want later for fire storm.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:51 am »

I could use some advice for playing earth elementalists.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: March 09, 2011, 07:14:53 am »

If your a vamp transmuter, evaporating potions of blood gives you a cloud of poison, steam, or fire, each at a 1/3 rate. Very powerful and a much better use of clean corpses then making water potions out of em.

You don't need distillation for that, and can't use it for that; vampires have an innate ability to do that once they reach a certain level.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4917 on: March 09, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »

I could use some advice for playing earth elementalists.
   I do not know about non-kobold EE's but I know
one thing. Early on stones are worth there weight in
gold.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: March 09, 2011, 12:48:19 pm »

I'm playing a kobold earth elementalist and I must say they're weak early on but get more and more powerful as it goes. Bolt of iron is an awesome early game alternative to crystal spear, which you'll be getting later, and shatter is just awesome. Even better, while poison becomes useless and necromancy and fire lose their power on the late game due to all the torment and fire resistance, earth spells remain useful through the whole trip.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4919 on: March 09, 2011, 12:50:42 pm »

I find as long as I find a good number of stones early
on I can survive till the good spells come. Without stones
its amazingly harder. Being able to hit something 2 away
instead of 1 is an amazing boost in survivability.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 990