Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666096 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4860 on: March 06, 2011, 08:56:39 pm »

I think that I've discovered why everyone likes this game. I like it a fair amount, and play it about that much, but the wonderful part of Stone Soup is that both the difficulty and the fun start really ramping up midgame. I have a DeAe (or something) currently and putting all those skill points into the right places really paid off, as well as getting used to the fighting style.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: March 06, 2011, 09:03:31 pm »

My SeTr found a book with Swiftness AND Boots of Running. This can't end well, but it's really fun while it lasts. Anyway, I found a shop with some interesting books, got one with Statue Form and one with Necromutation. I'm using Petrify to grind up some Earth magic, since I figure Statue Form will be easier to get.

Careful. Statue Form makes you really slow (it raises the base cost of every action by 50% or something), and those boots will probably get melded into it, so you won't exactly be walking fast.

Anyway, there's some deep water in the Hive 2 that I can't cross. From what I read this should be a wasp vault. Is it worth memorizing Flight for it? I never really used that spell, how useful is it overall?

Flight is a handy spell to have anyway if you can spare the spell levels. For the record, if you have Flight on, Swiftness's speed bonus is doubled (bringing you to maximum walking speed for most characters, although Swiftness + boots of running probably accomplishes the same).

Scrolls of Amnesia aren't too rare, so if you really need the spell levels back you can get them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »

I think that I've discovered why everyone likes this game. I like it a fair amount, and play it about that much, but the wonderful part of Stone Soup is that both the difficulty and the fun start really ramping up midgame. I have a DeAe (or something) currently and putting all those skill points into the right places really paid off, as well as getting used to the fighting style.

Agreed. Once you know how to beat the early game reliably, early in this case being basically between D:1 and getting to your first branch, it becomes a very tactical game. Early on, not so much, assuming your using a decent combo and don't get something like a D:4 hydra or something, but past the temple it becomes a game of choices. I mean, Nethack is great, but its basically linear with no real choices involved.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: March 07, 2011, 12:24:58 am »

I know I'm probably late to the Felid party, but damn these things are fun to play. Felid berserkers in particular are just.. awesome.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: March 07, 2011, 02:04:23 am »

I know I'm probably late to the Felid party, but damn these things are fun to play. Felid berserkers in particular are just.. awesome.

Felids got nerfed yesterday. They lost aptitudes for fighting and UC. Sure, they got some conjurations aptitude back, but it's still a FeBe nerf.

Devteam says, "Suck it!"
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: March 07, 2011, 08:09:49 am »

Now this is just bollocks. I had both Swiftness and Boots of running on, and Rupert berserked and outran me with roughly twice my movement speed. I take it that enemies don't have speed caps? God, if there's one thing I hate about Dungeon Crawl, it's all the bloody double standards. Seriously, is there *any* rule that works the same for the player and the enemies?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:26 am »

When you reach zero health, both the PC and all NPCs die. Heck, the PC has the advantage since they can be Felids and get 9 lives, AFAIK no NPC has that yet.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: March 07, 2011, 08:23:04 am »

Hehe, got me there.

Anyway, reviewing the wiki, it seems that Berserk is indeed faster than Swiftness + Boots of Running, 5 vs 6 movement speed. But that still doesn't mean he should be able to run twice as fast as me  >:(

Seriously, what the hell am I supposed to do against Rupert? It seems to me that if he spots you you're dead, there is no escape.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: March 07, 2011, 09:48:23 am »

Boris can and will come back after you destroy him too, fortunately it takes a bit of time usually but if you survive you'll meet him again and again, like if he was not extremely powerfull enough :D

Rupert is very annoying if you don't have a powerfull character at the time you meet him, hope that you have teleport scrolls then, he has a high MR too making him a pain for casters.
He's very similar to Snorg, that is a weaker version of Rupert, but that you can meet usually earlier too.

I too dislike the double standard regarding the advantage of powers and spells effects that gives monsters a much better version of most of what the player can do.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: March 07, 2011, 09:52:30 am »

I actually burned 1 blink and 3 teleport scrolls trying to escape him, somehow he always ran into me before I could reach stairs. Killed me just when the last teleport was supposed to kick in. He was on Liar 3, I was a level 13 SeTr :(

The worst part is that I've never had a character with such good gear, and I most likely never will again. I even found a shop with an amulet of clarity when I had a book with Alistair's Intoxication :( Hmm, would that spell have done anything to him? I didn't have levels to memorize it yet :'(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:54:47 am by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: March 07, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »

Hehe, got me there.

Anyway, reviewing the wiki, it seems that Berserk is indeed faster than Swiftness + Boots of Running, 5 vs 6 movement speed. But that still doesn't mean he should be able to run twice as fast as me  >:(

Seriously, what the hell am I supposed to do against Rupert? It seems to me that if he spots you you're dead, there is no escape.
I believe that haste+swiftness+boots>berserk>haste+swiftness.
You run up against the move speed cap with boots+swift, but haste/berserk makes you even faster, especially if you combinde them.

I actually burned 1 blink and 3 teleport scrolls trying to escape him, somehow he always ran into me before I could reach stairs. Killed me just when the last teleport was supposed to kick in. He was on Liar 3, I was a level 13 SeTr :(

The worst part is that I've never had a character with such good gear, and I most likely never will again. I even found a shop with an amulet of clarity when I had a book with Alistair's Intoxication :( Hmm, would that spell have done anything to him? I didn't have levels to memorize it yet :'(
The teleport scrolls should have let you escape though, bad luck that they all failed to get you far enough away from him.

Yes, it would have confused him (and when it runs out, you could have cast it again), and if you had the amulet on, you could have escaped.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: March 07, 2011, 03:29:25 pm »

Looks like I'm headed back to the Crawl.

Is there any mods out there? I've tried looking but haven't really come upon anyone trying anything. I expect there'd be something equivalent to Soundsense for DC, by now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: March 07, 2011, 03:35:16 pm »

The tile version has been greatly improved in both visual and its specific interface, 0.8 is very enjoyable regarding this. There are even 2 additional game modes : Sprint and Zot Defense that are very refreshing way to play Crawl.
And an Arena for you to spawn creatures from Crawl and observe them destroying each other.

But as far as i know, there's no mod available.
Though as Crawl is open source someone interested and coding competent could always create a complete conversion/modification but none has done it yet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: March 07, 2011, 03:38:38 pm »

Oh I'd played .7.1 or something, but reading a change log always makes me want to get back into it.

Though as Crawl is open source someone interested and coding competent could always create a complete conversion/modification but none has done it yet.

And I'm amazed that no one has really done so, after it going this long. Most I saw was someone's Youtube video of some ghetto sounds they applied using RPGMaker or something.

---

Woah. Talk about an overhaul!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:59:05 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: March 07, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »

The first thing you should do is never trust the wiki. The Crawl wiki is full of advice and content that ranges from very bad to very good, and also ranges from years-outdated to trunk-current. You can't trust what you read there. Use the learndb instead.

Anyway, Berserk and Haste affect speed differently from Swiftness, Running, and movement speed mutations. The latter group affects your movement delay, which is 10 for most races and has a minimum of 6 (which spriggans start at). Berserk and Haste affect the speed of all actions, so they'll stack with the move speed modifiers, although they won't stack with each other. Just for reference.

I have no idea why Rupert would have moved that much faster. It's possible he got free moves by taking some low-delay action at some point, or by you doing the same (like doing something that wasn't walking).

At any rate, it's surprising you weren't able to escape him.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 990