Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666041 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4830 on: February 28, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »

How about whatever base level piety you start with when you normally start worshipping in the temple, or just like 2-3 peity.

Granted, I don't think there are ANY gods that would be an issue if you started with 1 piety with them. 2 would give a nice buffer, and would probably be optimal.

Plus, if you start past any more then 1 or two, you remove the benefits from starting with a god specifically like as a chaos knight. I'd think they should get a bit of a buff if this went in.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: February 28, 2011, 06:51:26 pm »

After my mummy died, I was inspired to try a deep elf ice elementalist. I've found an amulet of Gourmand and a ring of sustenance, making food a non-issue. Plus, Gastrowhatshisface had a hat of Pondering that boosts my already considerable INT score even further, which combined with my great spellcasting aptitude means that I can cast sixth-level spells without hunger. Yeah, okay, this IS easier than the mummy.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4832 on: February 28, 2011, 06:52:54 pm »

No, that is just Luckier then your mummy.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: February 28, 2011, 06:55:01 pm »

Be VERY aware that that hat slows down your MOVEMENT speed, but not casting.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: March 05, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »

Just had my first stat death.
You really shouldn't put on any unidentified randart you find.
Because it may be cursed and set your intelligence to -1, rendering you unable to remove the curse.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: March 06, 2011, 01:45:23 am »

Okawaru just gave me a badly named randart.

Because it may be cursed and set your intelligence to -1, rendering you unable to remove the curse.

Which is, frankly, bullshit. Right now if you put on something cursed that reduces your Int below 0, there's nothing you can do to solve the problem outside of drinking a potion of brilliance or put on a +int item powerful to get it back above 0. Don't have either or they're not powerful enough? You die.

The only defense is to always use ?oCD. Granted, that's optimal play, but it's also kind of tedious gather as much stuff as possible into your inventory. At the very least, allow ?oCD to detect curses of stuff on the ground. A better solution would be to not generate cursed items at all. Really, what benefit do cursed items bring to the game? With the crazy amount of ?oRC and ?oDC, cursed items are rarely relevant. And the only times they are relevant are when they're stat-deathing you. Not fun. I want to be killed by a monster, not a magic ring that made me too stupid to read a scroll to remove said ring.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: March 06, 2011, 02:17:09 am »

How much int did it drain, and what was your int before you put it on (sounds like you already had some stat damage)?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: March 06, 2011, 02:31:40 am »

Which is, frankly, bullshit. Right now if you put on something cursed that reduces your Int below 0, there's nothing you can do to solve the problem outside of drinking a potion of brilliance or put on a +int item powerful to get it back above 0. Don't have either or they're not powerful enough? You die.

Here's an idea: If you have stats that are hideously low, don't put on random artefacts that you find on the ground.

Seriously, it's pretty rare for a single source of stat drain to bring your stat below 1 unless you're playing a Troll and your Int is 3, or something else silly like that. And if you do, act accordingly.

Stat death isn't that easy to come by. It takes a while for it to actually kick in, and it's easy enough to avoid.

A better solution would be to not generate cursed items at all. Really, what benefit do cursed items bring to the game?

An incentive not to wear-ID everything you find, especially because of items with negative modifiers.

With the crazy amount of ?oRC and ?oDC, cursed items are rarely relevant. And the only times they are relevant are when they're stat-deathing you.

If there's a crazy amount of Remove Curse and Detect Curse, then why are you complaining about it being hard to remove cursed items that lower your stats?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: March 06, 2011, 02:36:57 am »

With the crazy amount of ?oRC and ?oDC, cursed items are rarely relevant. And the only times they are relevant are when they're stat-deathing you.

If there's a crazy amount of Remove Curse and Detect Curse, then why are you complaining about it being hard to remove cursed items that lower your stats?
Because if you have negative int, you can't read remove curse to get it off.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: March 06, 2011, 02:41:21 am »

Oh. That is a bit harsh, yeah. Of course, you could quaff Brilliance, but that requires you being pretty lucky.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: March 06, 2011, 02:48:01 am »

Well, it used to just kill you, no questions asked. I think the current slow and arduous stat death is pretty much there to rub it in the player's face. "Ha ha", the game is saying. "I'm going to kill your character and you can't stop me!" And, I guess, to offer an opportunity to use any brilliance potions. Suffocating under your load of potions of might sounds even more cruel. :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: March 06, 2011, 02:51:04 am »

Well, it used to just kill you, no questions asked. I think the current slow and arduous stat death is pretty much there to rub it in the player's face. "Ha ha", the game is saying. "I'm going to kill your character and you can't stop me!"

No, it's there to let you actually survive. The only time it's unavoidable is if the item is cursed and you have no Remove Curse scrolls (or it's Int being drained and you can't read them) and no items that raise the stat in question, and can't find any within time.

This is why you try not to have stats below around 6-8, and why you try not to equip randarts without Remove/Detect Curse available.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: March 06, 2011, 04:51:37 am »

Well, it used to just kill you, no questions asked. I think the current slow and arduous stat death is pretty much there to rub it in the player's face. "Ha ha", the game is saying. "I'm going to kill your character and you can't stop me!"

No, it's there to let you actually survive. The only time it's unavoidable is if the item is cursed and you have no Remove Curse scrolls (or it's Int being drained and you can't read them) and no items that raise the stat in question, and can't find any within time.

This is why you try not to have stats below around 6-8, and why you try not to equip randarts without Remove/Detect Curse available.
Or mummies. I hate mummies.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: March 06, 2011, 04:59:15 am »

Mummies are dicks.

Granted, normal mummies don't cause stat rot at all, but the higher-tier ones can. Or do they just cause regular HP rot? I forget. Either way, they're dicks, but they're also avoidable, and it's part of the danger.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: March 06, 2011, 05:03:44 am »

Mummies are dicks.

Granted, normal mummies don't cause stat rot at all, but the higher-tier ones can. Or do they just cause regular HP rot? I forget. Either way, they're dicks, but they're also avoidable, and it's part of the danger.
Mummies auto curse your equipment when you kill them. I think they might be able to curse normally too, but not sure.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 990