Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665960 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4815 on: February 27, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »

It is not that I could not cast it but that it was lower
then I would bother trying to cast in combat. I did not
know that it was high enough level that it could just say
screw you. I had as I said only managed to miscast myself
into some 5's so I thought it was fine to keep trying.

Really what is to blame is that I had always been at it
from the other side where I had the summing skill to cast
it but not the Earth skill so this time I thought nothing of
it but summoning miscasts are a little worse then the earth
ones for it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:46:14 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: February 28, 2011, 12:17:06 am »

Memorisation adjectives and success-rates as follows: Very Challenging (useless 0%, terrible 0-5%); Quite Challenging (cruddy 5-10%, bad 10-20%); Rather Challenging (very poor 20-30%, poor 30-50%); Somewhat Challenging (fair 50-70%, good 70-80%, very good 80-90%); Not That Challenging (great 90-95%, excellent 95-99%, perfect 100%).

"Fair", despite the wording, is actually rather unreliable. You want at least "good" and preferably "very good" for things you'll cast often.
Anything less than excellent is just asking for it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: February 28, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

I've casted and used Mephitic Cloud and, more importantly, Sticky Flame at success levels as low as "Fair". I had to cast 'em, it was either cast them or die. Translocations miscasts are worse, it only takes severity 2 translocations to get banished, take 31 damage, or get confused and teleported. Even a fumbled blink can cause 12 damage if you're unlucky.

Granted, you have to be really unlucky to hit those miscasts at low level, but it's still bullshit. The devs agree that dying from a trap is bad, so why is dying to a miscast any better? I can accept dying to a miscast if I'm already damaged, for instance, or better yet if the miscast eventually leads to death with a chance to mitigate it. Those are fine. It's a risk you take, but failing a spell directly causing you to die is unfun since you HAVE to cast the spell or die anyway. It leads to one of those situations where a player didn't feel like they could of prevented their death.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: February 28, 2011, 06:46:37 am »

At 80% success rate, you'll still fail 1/5 of the time. Which makes Sif Muna's miscast protection super awesome. Speaking of spells, I'm not sure what I should memorize/forget. I got seven levels left at the moment.

Spoiler: spells I have in books (click to show/hide)

Whoah, that's a long list. I've also got two Necronomicons that I can't read, and I've seen some book stores. And Sif keeps giving me more books. I've been thinking of learning Dig, because messing with the dungeon architecture is just so much fun.

EDIT: No, never mind. Fireballed by Margery. :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:14:56 am by Soadreqm »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: February 28, 2011, 11:14:36 am »

Any opinions on Makhleb vs Okawaru for a MdFi in the latest trunk build? I've been enjoying playing a chaos knight of Makhleb in .70 and now that they've removed that option I'm trying to figure out something similar.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: February 28, 2011, 11:23:59 am »

Along the increased severity of miscast that never needed such increase, the removal of chaos knight of Makhleb in 0.8  is another change i don't understand considering it was a very fun class to play, especially as a mummy.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:47 pm »

Any opinions on Makhleb vs Okawaru for a MdFi in the latest trunk build? I've been enjoying playing a chaos knight of Makhleb in .70 and now that they've removed that option I'm trying to figure out something similar.

Okawaru's new abilities are actually very, very nice, and his gifts can be useful if you're sufficiently lucky.

On the other hand, Makhleb's HP/MP on kill is extremely useful, and his destruction/summoning powers are quite handy for characters in heavy armor who otherwise wouldn't be able to use effects like that due to not casting spells.

Keep in mind that Okawaru's wrath isn't that bad, so you can use him at first, try to get some gifts out of him eventually, then switch to Makhleb or TSO later on.

Along the increased severity of miscast that never needed such increase, the removal of chaos knight of Makhleb in 0.8  is another change i don't understand considering it was a very fun class to play, especially as a mummy.

I don't believe miscasts have been changed except for air miscasts getting a bit of a buff.

Regarding Makhleb, he's a Temple god. You can get him early game, so what's the big problem?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: February 28, 2011, 12:46:58 pm »

Their reasoning was that if you want to play with Makhleb, you can join at the temple.

Personally I disagree. It's looking like the only starters are gonna be Beogh (nope, getting scrapped as a starter in place of earlier Beogh altars), TSO (nope, getting scrapped because he's not useful in the early game, only in the late game, so the solution is to add more demons/undead in the early game and reduce the number of demons/undead in the late game), Ely, Trog, Zin, Xom, Yredy, and Lugonu. That's frankly not enough. At the very least, Okie makes a good starter since you'll get access to Might at about the time ogres show up. If Trog's acceptable as a starter god, I can't imagine why Okawaru isn't. (I know Might was renamed, shut up)

Starting with an early god is like starting with spellcasting, if you want it, you want it from the start. Nobody walks into the dungeon thinking "oh, I'll learn how to cast spells when I get there!", so why do people walk in thinking "I'll start worshiping something when I get there!". I can see undecided classes, that's perfectly fine. I don't want to shoehorn anyone into worshiping a god they'll just drop as soon as they hit Temple. But if I'm gonna worship Okawaru, I might as well save myself some time and just begin with him. Giving up some early skills/items to gain a head start on piety is a very interesting decision for the player to make. Why the devteam wants to remove that, I'll never know. (For those that don't know, god wrath is going to be nerfed, especially for lower level players).

I can understand not wanting every god available at the start, and that's fine. But if the god has usefulness between D:1 and Temple, it should be a starter. Makhleb had use to at the very least DD and at most invokers actually using minor destruction to kill things. If the problem was that everyone was using Makhleb only to get HP+mana on kills, then maybe, just maybe, the problem was with Makhleb and could be fixed?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:14:08 pm by Mr.Person »
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: February 28, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »

Regarding Makhleb, he's a Temple god. You can get him early game, so what's the big problem?
So why not remove Berzerkers, Priests, the existing Chaos Knights variants (xom, the dead thing, etc...) , Paladin .... after all those gods are in temple, what would be the big problem ?

I agree with Mr Person there, if the devs have a feeling that Maklheb was overpowered in some way, why not fix it instead of plain removing a starting and fun class using it.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: February 28, 2011, 02:24:25 pm »

I'd rather see the temple removed and give players the choice of starting with any god. Give the classes that start with faiths now a bonus to piety, everyone else starts at zero. There are a few that make sense to not be able to start with, such as Lugonu and Jivya.

Maybe split the gods up between surface gods and dungeon gods. After all, all the gods except Jivya have an abundance of worshippers, and we never see any worshippers save those for Beogh in the dungeon.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: February 28, 2011, 02:47:56 pm »

A few uniques are given flavor as worshippers of various gods and all the angelic being are at least affiliated with TSO, but yeah, I see what you mean. I'd move the Temple to D:3-D:5. It's a little silly to have ogres and other nasties spawning at about the same time as the temple when many players use divine powers to kill said creatures.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 28, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »

I'd rather see the temple removed and give players the choice of starting with any god. Give the classes that start with faiths now a bonus to piety, everyone else starts at zero. There are a few that make sense to not be able to start with, such as Lugonu and Jivya.

Maybe split the gods up between surface gods and dungeon gods. After all, all the gods except Jivya have an abundance of worshippers, and we never see any worshippers save those for Beogh in the dungeon.

Starting at zero piety is a really bad idea with some gods since you need to kill quickly to gain favor or face the gods penalty.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4827 on: February 28, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

Maybe instead of zero piety you just do not gain or lose
piety till you reach some condition like a certain level or so
many turns.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: February 28, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »

The only way you can possibly lose piety faster than you gain it is if you're a Troglydyte and scum (AKA, are a mummy waiting for absurd amounts of time). Starting with 0 piety is actually ridiculous since I think fresh converts in the dungeon start with 10 or 20.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: February 28, 2011, 06:17:33 pm »

The only way you can possibly lose piety faster than you gain it is if you're a Troglydyte and scum (AKA, are a mummy waiting for absurd amounts of time). Starting with 0 piety is actually ridiculous since I think fresh converts in the dungeon start with 10 or 20.

It's more than possible to lose piety with, say, Okawaru, every now and then. I had trouble keeping six stars, I know that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 990