Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665875 times)

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4755 on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:50 pm »

I'm having trouble trying to decide between several options for my KoAe's melee weapon. I'm somewhat familiar with the various stats but I'm just not sure about the intricacies:

The options are +7/+4 Quick Blade, +2/0 Sabre of Speed, +5/+4 Sabre, or +2/+4 Dagger of Speed.

The sabre of speed.

Is finding doors highly dependent on Traps and Doors skill? I always seem to find them easily (within a single search session) when there are obvious locations of secret doors in the dungeon.

Yeah. Anyway, that place just has a few demons, a portal to pan/abyss/hell, and an altar to an evil god.

Also, the pluses aren't just added to base damage and accuracy. I have no idea what kind of algorithm they use, but I'm pretty sure it's not quite that simple.

Weapon pluses are randomized.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: February 21, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

So I'm doing well with a MdCk of Mahkelb. I've cleared the hive, the orcish mines, most of the lair and the main branch through D18. I currently have a choice of several main armor pieces:

+3 dwarven chain mail of cold resistance (20 ac/14ev)
+1 plate (27/7)
+0 dragon armor (23/12)
+3 orcish ring of magic resistance (19/14)
Randard +0 ring mail with Rf, Sinv, and rage (16/14

I also have a ring of cold resist if I need it, although that would mean losing sustenance.

Char Dump
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any suggestions?

In other news,
where does the tile version char dump output to? I can't find it. On windows machines characeters are saved to C:\Users\$User\AppData\Crawl

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:45:56 pm by BishopX »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:42 pm »

I would suggest going with either the dragon armour, or the randart ring mail if you lack Sinv from other sources. It's really, really nice to have once you start running into unseen horrors.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: February 21, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »

I would suggest going with either the dragon armour, or the randart ring mail if you lack Sinv from other sources. It's really, really nice to have once you start running into unseen horrors.

My standard response to invisible creatures has been summoning demons. Most of whom can see invisible.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: February 22, 2011, 05:37:38 pm »

I'm having a great run with a mountain dwarf fighter following Okawaru
Great run because it seems luck is on my side (and i must say that the AC improvement in trunk proved to be a real improvement).

My latest Okawaru gift was that :

How great this can be, as my character is an huge AC tank.
Though at that point i don't need this as earlier i found an Orcish plate mail on that protect from cold which i used all my armor scrolls.

And i found some cold protection rings too along the way.

When i reached Swamp, the final Swamp floor had the cold ending for the rune, that was easy for my character that had found the exact equipment for going through that with lots of cold resistance, and so it could fetch the Swamp rune without much problems.

To me it looks like there's something very unusual as i'm never -that- lucky.
I can only guess that soon enough i'll run into a teleport trap that will throw my character in front of a dozen of ancient liches all using iron shot or crystal spear at the same time.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: February 22, 2011, 05:58:31 pm »

The game will just arbitrarily kill you. "You suddenly suffer a fatal heart attack! Xom thinks this is hilarious."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: February 23, 2011, 10:18:19 am »

My character is surprisingly always alive, and it has some very good items too (explaining actually why he is always alive, good items make really a big difference in crawl survival).

But he has lots of bad mutations.
I explored a lots of floors with dungeon+branches+portals (+/- 50 currently), found lots of shops too, but in all of this explored area, i found only 1 potion of cure mutation.
It helped me getting rid of one of the most annoying mutation (very fast metabolism), but there are a lot annoying left.

I'm considering now ditching Okawaru (as my equipment is now very excellent, i may not need more of his gifts) to Zin in the hope to get his last power quickly (lots of money to sacrifice, and enough food to keep waiting in temple for faith to increase).

But Okawaru's Heroism and Finesse powers have been extremely awesome in getting my character victorious of fights he would have been annihilated without, making me reluctant to ditch it now.

As i never did it, is it possible in crawl to switch back to a god you left behind ?

And i wonder, how playable Chei is for a fighter character, i never used it before ?
With the good equipment i have , i am currently at 40 AC, would Chei brand makes it way much more , or would it be just too small difference in term of damage reduction to be worth it ?

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: February 23, 2011, 10:37:35 am »

Chei is godly for naga's. Since you're one of the slowest moving things around.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: February 23, 2011, 11:53:04 am »

Just read that you can't make armour ponderous if they're artifacts already, so Chei is not good for what i have (as the non artifacts armours parts i found do not have that great of brands and bonus anyways, while my artifacts are top notch).

And just a quick test with a backed up save to see if it works, indeed donating money will make the faith rank rise up quick, allowing a cure all mutation power, and then i can rejoin Okawaru without Zin becoming angry.

Great. I wonder if i'll keep Zin for a bit then while exploring further before switching to Okawaru to get back my heroism/finesse usefull powers.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: February 23, 2011, 12:53:42 pm »

Worshipping Chei without high Translocations skill to blink around is suicide.

Every second you spend worshiping Zin is a waste of time. Get in, cure your mutations, get out.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:25 pm »

Worshipping Chei without high Translocations skill to blink around is suicide.

Every second you spend worshiping Zin is a waste of time. Get in, cure your mutations, get out.

Naga transmuter who worships chie.

Spider form.
Nuff said.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: February 23, 2011, 06:01:28 pm »

I had used a scroll of magic mapping while in antechamber and didn't see a door. Or do secret doors not show up through mapping?

This is in trunk, 0.8.0-a0-5207 (windows tiles). Probably not the most recent one, but fairly recent. Three weeks max

Magic Mapping no longer maps certain things. That might include hidden doors, but I know it no longer maps areas you can't go to without teleporting into. If I remember correctly, there should be like a path of trees leading to a stone wall. Unless there isn't, then I have no idea what vault you've got. Can you spare a picture? I'm 90% sure there's a hidden door, but I wouldn't fret it too much since all that's behind the door is an evil altar, a bunch of demons, and a portal to hell.

Unrealated, but your avatar really freaks me you

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: February 24, 2011, 02:47:05 am »

Aww, poison.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: February 24, 2011, 05:18:45 am »

As i never did it, is it possible in crawl to switch back to a god you left behind ?

I'm pretty sure you can, although I've never done it either. Once Okawaru gets bored of tossing monsters at you, he should be happy to take you back.

My MuVM is doing pretty well. REALLY well, in fact. A robe of the Archmagi, a ring of wizardry, decent spellbooks from both Sif and the dungeon floor. I'm probably going to end up torn to bits by my own demons. :P

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: February 24, 2011, 10:00:19 am »

If you know Abjuration, summons become a joke.

I've gained a level while asleep before. It was really weird since all of the text was in the same grey color all text appeared in while you're asleep... but that text really shouldn't of been. It's important since you player might not notice that they've gained a level up if it's in a dark grey. And I had to pick a stat gain, too, so I was sitting there mashing the space bar wondering why no time was passing. If you're wondering, I shot an orb of destruction off at Aizul, then he put me to sleep.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 990