Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665869 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4740 on: February 19, 2011, 08:32:03 pm »

Why should lore get in the way of gameplay enhancements?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: February 19, 2011, 09:27:23 pm »

Thats why I said limit the level of favor you can get. Plus, part of crawl is making really "stupid" choices out of the gate and seeing how far you can take them. I mean, a spriggan berserker is one thing, but a spriggan berserker of Trog and Sif Muna? THATS a challenge.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: February 19, 2011, 09:29:22 pm »

It'd actually be impossible, since Sif Muna requires spells and Trog doesn't let you learn them.  I guess you could learn one spell, get Trog, then get Muna, but it would be impossible to get Muna piety without getting Trog penance.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: February 20, 2011, 10:36:27 am »

I'm having trouble trying to decide between several options for my KoAe's melee weapon. I'm somewhat familiar with the various stats but I'm just not sure about the intricacies:

The options are +7/+4 Quick Blade, +2/0 Sabre of Speed, +5/+4 Sabre, or +2/+4 Dagger of Speed. Learn says base damage is king, so probably the dagger isn't viable, but is base damage functionally different from +damage (e.g. the dagger is essentially 6/6, whereas the saber is 9/11)? Learn says sabres are the best common blade, but I guess quick blades aren't considered common, and that even if I heavily enchant the sabre of speed, the quick blade would be better? Is the best option the quick blade and permanently vorpalize it with freezing or fire, presuming I can find a book with one of those brands?

I guess the question is pretty moot. I only melee things that are relatively easy or confused, the rest of the time I'm using a staff of wizardry or a rod of destruction.

Edit: Unrelated note: On Lair:8, in the lower left corner of the map, is a stone-walled area with some water, an altar, and a shop (or so the map shows, could be a portal). Since I'm not an EE my earth skill is not nearly enough to dig or LRD the wall, and apparently I can't Passwall through it either (what a waste of amnesia). Wands of digging and disintegrate obviously don't work. How are you supposed to get in there? Is it intended only to be accessible with high earth skill/Lugonu's Corrupt?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:48:55 am by Niveras »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: February 20, 2011, 11:31:35 am »

There's a hidden door somewhere. I think they completely removed that vault from trunk at some point, I can't find it in my des files anymore. I've seen that vault before, though.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: February 20, 2011, 12:16:30 pm »

I had used a scroll of magic mapping while in antechamber and didn't see a door. Or do secret doors not show up through mapping?

This is in trunk, 0.8.0-a0-5207 (windows tiles). Probably not the most recent one, but fairly recent. Three weeks max

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: February 20, 2011, 04:59:54 pm »

I am absolutely terrible at this game. The farthest I've gotten is I built up a level 4 Draconian Fighter, wielding a +2/+2 mace, a +1 shield, a runed leather armor (turned out to be +1), and +1 dwarven gloves. I still got utterly crushed by Edmund. 
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4747 on: February 20, 2011, 07:18:25 pm »

So I found a ring of magical power and a ring of wizardy
on the first and second level. Normally with my kobold
summoners my problem is having enough magic. This of
course means that on level 3 I will most likely have something
weak and harmless get the killing blow on me.

And a temple to Sif Muna on the second level as well...

I keep expecting to open a door and find a centaur hoard
or something behind it.

And a miscast summons a green death which was my death
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:41:26 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: February 20, 2011, 07:42:56 pm »

I am absolutely terrible at this game. The farthest I've gotten is I built up a level 4 Draconian Fighter, wielding a +2/+2 mace, a +1 shield, a runed leather armor (turned out to be +1), and +1 dwarven gloves. I still got utterly crushed by Edmund.

Try playing a troll berserk. When in doubt rage. Eat at least every other (non poisonous corpse), sacrifice the rest.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: February 20, 2011, 10:01:08 pm »

Just wanted to give a test to the latest trunk version.
I hesitated between a Mountain Dwarf to see if the AC improvements would make it more fun, or a Spriggan to explore more of the dungeon without dying too soon.

After making my choice, i went into the dungeon, and what do i find on floor 6 :

Yes

Amazing , since i play Crawl i found this only 3 times ! and the 2 last times i was playing a character that couldn't wear it at all !

... wait a minute ... i decided to play ... a Spriggan ...

I'm sure there's a special piece of code in Crawl that just hate the player, hate him very strongly.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: February 21, 2011, 01:14:30 am »

I'm having trouble trying to decide between several options for my KoAe's melee weapon. I'm somewhat familiar with the various stats but I'm just not sure about the intricacies:

The options are +7/+4 Quick Blade, +2/0 Sabre of Speed, +5/+4 Sabre, or +2/+4 Dagger of Speed.

From what I've heard, a sabre of speed is better than an unbranded quick blade (assuming that the bonuses are equal, which they aren't), but the quick blade can gain new brands. If you worshiped Lugonu, you could turn it into a quick blade of distortion. With TSO, holy wrath. With just the stuff you find in the dungeon you can get permanent fire and ice brands, as well as vorpal. Or just keep casting spells to brand it whatever the situation requires. Assuming you can spare the levels.

Also, the pluses aren't just added to base damage and accuracy. I have no idea what kind of algorithm they use, but I'm pretty sure it's not quite that simple.

I'm sure there's a special piece of code in Crawl that just hate the player, hate him very strongly.

Xom is always watching over you, even when you don't worship Her.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: February 21, 2011, 03:46:12 am »

I had used a scroll of magic mapping while in antechamber and didn't see a door. Or do secret doors not show up through mapping?

This is in trunk, 0.8.0-a0-5207 (windows tiles). Probably not the most recent one, but fairly recent. Three weeks max

Magic Mapping no longer maps certain things. That might include hidden doors, but I know it no longer maps areas you can't go to without teleporting into. If I remember correctly, there should be like a path of trees leading to a stone wall. Unless there isn't, then I have no idea what vault you've got. Can you spare a picture? I'm 90% sure there's a hidden door, but I wouldn't fret it too much since all that's behind the door is an evil altar, a bunch of demons, and a portal to hell.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #4752 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:04 am »

Xom is always watching over you, even when you don't worship Her.

Literally!

I have had Xom Intervene and fuck me over when I had had nothing to do with him.

Damn, my latest run was going so well to...
Was a human wizard, and found an alter to Xom, and decided to become his plaything.
Xom decided to be rather generous this time around, gave me a spellbook, and polymorthed a golden orb(?) into a unarmed human :)
he also teleported me out of a sticky situration at two different occations, and even mutated me to have poison resistance!

alas, I did not find any way to see invisible, and so I was hunted down by unseen horrors.

Literally. "unseen horror" is their name.

the spellbook turned out to have lvl 9 destruction spells in it! DAMMIT.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4753 on: February 21, 2011, 06:40:22 am »

You do know that this has always been true for EVERY
SINGLE ROGUELIKE? If you have something lucky happen
to you then you need to start being super carefull or you
will die quickly. All praise the RNGod for he is mighty!
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: February 21, 2011, 12:48:54 pm »

Magic Mapping no longer maps certain things. That might include hidden doors, but I know it no longer maps areas you can't go to without teleporting into. If I remember correctly, there should be like a path of trees leading to a stone wall. Unless there isn't, then I have no idea what vault you've got. Can you spare a picture? I'm 90% sure there's a hidden door, but I wouldn't fret it too much since all that's behind the door is an evil altar, a bunch of demons, and a portal to hell.

That does sound like what I've got (image), although when I've gotten this vault before on previous characters I had searched along each tile for a secret door and didn't find one. At this point it doesn't really matter, mostly I just wanted to see what was in there. I need to make another trip to the lair to drop off all my junk, so I will go back and do another round of searching.

Is finding doors highly dependent on Traps and Doors skill? I always seem to find them easily (within a single search session) when there are obvious locations of secret doors in the dungeon.

Edit: Ah hah. I had to clear some the trees. Luckily the rod of destruction has Bolt of Magma for that purpose.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:57:05 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 990