Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665886 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4725 on: February 18, 2011, 04:03:18 pm »

Dungeon has 27 levels, plus there are a bunch of branches. It's hard to quantify how long it is, but the game can be longer or shorter depending on how you want to play, as there are something like 15 unique runes and you only need 3 to get into Zot (the last area, where the Orb is).

The tutorial suggests a minimum of 8 in all stats to avoid stat death. Basically, if effects cause any stat to go below 1, you'll eventually die if you don't cure it, and will suffer other effects from it as well.

That, and strength/dex honestly don't matter all that much anyway. Not that you'll be using Int either, if you're going with Trog, since you can't use spells.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »

Yaks are the most overpowered bastards I have ever seen. One yak can easily kill a hellion.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: February 18, 2011, 09:21:12 pm »

Just wait till you see death yaks...

Or Yaktaurs...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:44 pm »

Just wait till you see death yaks...

Or Yaktaurs...

Already seen Yaktaurs.

Jesus! They are tough!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: February 18, 2011, 10:41:50 pm »

I think most of my characters who make it into the mid game die to them. I like playing fighter types...often berserks. Not having repel missiles when you run across a yaktaur mob is really rough.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: February 19, 2011, 01:56:22 am »

I've run spellcasters who don't have deflect or even repel missiles that still dodged and blocked full yaktuar herds well enough to basically laugh at their ineffectiveness. Then the captains showed up. They weren't tough or anything, but I was getting hit for noticeable damage by them fairly consistently despite having 20+ EV and 20+ SH.

I also tend to do D and Vaults really late compared to what most would consider normal, so that's part of it. By the time I get around to finishing off the dungeon I find all the nasties down there to be a breeze. One time I did Vaults so late I just went straight into Vaults:8 and finished it with little issue.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: February 19, 2011, 04:43:56 am »

At the level you are when you run into Blink Frogs, they are very dangerous and never to be underestimated : they hit your character very hard, and they have enough EV to be very difficult to hit, when they just don't blink away from you while another Blink Frog take his place to finish you.
The answer to Blink Frogs and The Hive is to worship Chei. Not that it helps with much else, but still.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: February 19, 2011, 08:50:44 am »

At the level you are when you run into Blink Frogs, they are very dangerous and never to be underestimated : they hit your character very hard, and they have enough EV to be very difficult to hit, when they just don't blink away from you while another Blink Frog take his place to finish you.
The answer to Blink Frogs and The Hive is to worship Chei. Not that it helps with much else, but still.

The answer to the hive and blink frogs is poison...they can't run from poison damage.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: February 19, 2011, 04:30:32 pm »

Hey guys! I started a Crawl LP here. Come check it out. :)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: February 19, 2011, 07:36:31 pm »

what's with the downstairs to a temple of a god Ecumenical

"a place of refuge and peace from the insanity of the dungeons"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: February 19, 2011, 07:39:59 pm »

Ecumenical is not the name of a god in the game.  The temple is there so characters who want to worship a god will always have the ability to do so early on in the game.
Shoes...

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: February 19, 2011, 07:56:57 pm »

Oh I know I've seen temples; this is a downstairs that leads to some place with that description.  I'm afraid to go there (this is on level 7 in the dungeon or so )

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: February 19, 2011, 08:01:16 pm »

what's with the downstairs to a temple of a god Ecumenical

"a place of refuge and peace from the insanity of the dungeons"

It's a peaceful level with a whole bunch of altars there. You can find a god or just use it to stash stuff there.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: February 19, 2011, 08:06:48 pm »

Oh I know I've seen temples; this is a downstairs that leads to some place with that description.  I'm afraid to go there (this is on level 7 in the dungeon or so )
It is THE safest place in the entire game. Think Grand Church to all the gods in the game, cept none of the monsters are religious so its just you.

Also, I just had a thought for a feature. Dual godding. Worship a pair of gods, but can't get full bonuses and favor only accrues at 1/4 speed. Maybe a few synergy bonuses depending on the gods chosen.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: February 19, 2011, 08:29:48 pm »

The choice of gods would be very limited though. Maybe the three good gods would support it and with a bit of shoehorning Sif Muna and Vehemut and Vehemut and Makhleb would be viable combinations. Maybe Xom and Nemlex Xobeh as well, but frankly I can't really see any other god support a follower who follows another god.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 990