Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665938 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4665 on: February 06, 2011, 04:34:02 pm »

Curse you Mara :(
This has been such a nice run.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: February 07, 2011, 11:58:58 pm »

Have a level 14 Halfling Hunter of Okawaru now.

So I'm a bit confused about the elemental slings.
What exactly happens to the bullet fired from it? Weapons with elemental brands normally just add elemental damage, but in this case "it turns into a bolt of frost".
How much damage do they do?
And elemental slings stack with elemental ammo, or am I wrong?

The ammo management is being quite a burden as well.
I can't find enough of the normal shots for enchanting and thus creating a nice, long lasting stack. Okawarus gifts tend to be branded.

I turned of Short Blades at 12, thus reaching the speed cap, but leaving Slings turned on. Is there some sensible cap I should target?

And I would appreciate any other hints you can give for anyone playing a hunter.

IIRC if you use a frost branded launcher with a flame brand missile, the brands cancel each other out and it just shoots a normal missile.  In older versions I seem to recall poison being able to stack with elemental brands (it fired a bolt of 'flaming venom' or something like that), but according to the wiki now only one of the two brands is effective.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: February 08, 2011, 12:51:07 am »

In older versions I seem to recall poison being able to stack with elemental brands (it fired a bolt of 'flaming venom' or something like that), but according to the wiki now only one of the two brands is effective.

You haven't been able to stack brands for a long time, if it was ever the case.

Also, the wiki is terrible and contains a mixture of information that was true several versions ago, is true in the current stable release (0.7), is true in the current trunk (0.8), and was never true at all. It's pretty much a laughing stock on the IRC channel; use the learndb and knowledge bots instead.

Regarding ammo brands, I think either the weapon or the projectile takes precedence, but I'm not sure which.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: February 08, 2011, 01:07:19 am »

In older versions I seem to recall poison being able to stack with elemental brands (it fired a bolt of 'flaming venom' or something like that), but according to the wiki now only one of the two brands is effective.

Also, the wiki is terrible and contains a mixture of information that was true several versions ago, is true in the current stable release (0.7), is true in the current trunk (0.8), and was never true at all. It's pretty much a laughing stock on the IRC channel; use the learndb and knowledge bots instead.

Regarding ammo brands, I think either the weapon or the projectile takes precedence, but I'm not sure which.
Ammo takes precedence. The weapon is secondary (so if you have a +6+6 bow of flame and a arrow of ice and a arrow of reaping, your choice of ammo would determine what type of attack you do). But if the arrow is non branded, then the weapon would take effect.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:05 am »

Well, It seems I can get the game to work fine on my laptop, but it's a smaller resolution, and seems to not have all the clickable tiles extras because of that. I wonder if it's the size of the window it's creating that causes it to crash instantly on my desktop.

And yet strangely enough I managed to get it to work by forcing it to go 640x480 in compatibility mode. Of course that was horrible looking on my 1920x1080 monitor. So I exited out of it, and somehow it worked for a good playthrough. Then it crashed again, and continues to crash instantly upon clicking the tiles exe's again. This has me stumped. Could it be Vista-related?

EDIT: Defintely works in fullscreen 640x480 mode somehow. Is there some way to set it to a higher fullscreen resolution? Or alter the windowed size?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:57:59 am by budthespud »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: February 08, 2011, 02:28:05 am »

Stupid question, but you are running Tiles and not the console build, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: February 08, 2011, 09:01:56 am »

Poison brand can, at least, stack with flaming for ranged attacks, and was able to quite recently (either in 7 or the 8 trunks, not quite sure which). I say this because in one of those two versions I very specifically remember getting wrecked by a Nessos whose arrows both poisoned me and nailed me with fire damage. Whether that happens with anything else, I'unno, but flaming poisoned arrows is possible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:34 am »

At least flaming poisoned arrows when fired by enemies. :D

I seem to remember getting hurt by Nessos' doublebranded arrows as well. I think I managed to take him out with some mephitic clouds, though.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: February 08, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »

Stupid question, but you are running Tiles and not the console build, right?

Yep. Tried multiple versions of the installer on the RSS feed.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: February 08, 2011, 02:10:05 pm »

I say this because in one of those two versions I very specifically remember getting wrecked by a Nessos whose arrows both poisoned me and nailed me with fire damage.

I'm fairly sure this is an ability unique to Nessos.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: February 08, 2011, 03:27:24 pm »

I say this because in one of those two versions I very specifically remember getting wrecked by a Nessos whose arrows both poisoned me and nailed me with fire damage.

I'm fairly sure this is an ability unique to Nessos.
The knowledge bot agrees with you on this
A unique centaur, generated with a longbow of flame, poisoned arrows, a centaur barding, haste, and animate dead. In 0.6+, is generated sooner and also blinks away from you. Fires bolts of poison flame. No, you can't. His magic resistance is considerably low, so he's susceptible to slowness, paralyzing, etc.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: February 08, 2011, 03:40:20 pm »

Goddamn cheating Crawl monsters.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: February 10, 2011, 02:39:39 pm »

Spoiler: So far, so good... (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: February 10, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »

Why do you have Armour and Dodging turned off? If I've ever seen two skills that should pretty much never be turned off, it's those two. Your AC and EV are alright for the level you're at, but they could definitely stand to be improved since Yaktuars will fuck you up at the moment.

Also, does your sword sparkle in the sunlight?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: February 10, 2011, 03:21:27 pm »

urk. Stupid hydras.

Still, my experience with Jivya was pretty good. My next character will follow the same lines

As for Armor and dodging: armour wouldn't have been that good anyway, and dodging was draining XP that were supposed to go into swords, and I was keeping a wall of spammals on at all times anyways. Till a many-headed hydra ate through it, that is.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 990