Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665933 times)

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4650 on: January 29, 2011, 08:49:08 pm »

So, my mummy venom mage was attacked by a bunch of yaktaurs in the Vaults, and they were kind of wearing on my health, so I teleported away.

Right next to a sleeping dragon.

How the hell am I supposed to survive this? There's no way I'll be able to one-shot the scaly asshole, and I'm a mummy! A dessicated corpse! And the stupid lizard shoots fire!

Here is the character dump. I guess I have a bunch of things I can try. Try to sneak away. Try to run away, stopping the dragon from following me with butterflies. Teleport away. Teleport the dragon away. Polymorph the dragon. Blink away.

So, any ideas on what I should do?

Try the scroll of fear.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: January 29, 2011, 09:54:00 pm »

Things to keep in mind: If the dragon hits you with its breathe or in melee, you're dead. Dragon breathe can do 80 damage to a player with no rF, and you have rF-! Second, the dragon can breathe in melee range even if that melee is with butterflies, and the breathe travels through things like a bolt of fire. In other words, you need to get away from it as soon as possible. I'd blink then run to the stairs. When the dragon wakes up, sputterflies then put up a repel missiles and walk to the stairs. The repel won't make a huge deal to something that accurate, but you never know.

You could try polymorphing it, but that would definitely wake it up. The most realistic scenario there is an ice dragon, which still sucks since it'll still be at melee range and get a free hit. Still capable of one-shotting you, so blink first. Pretty much anything you do except try to kill it should involve blinking first. If you want to kill it, stab it, then Venom Bolt it, but that's perilous at best.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: January 30, 2011, 12:33:00 am »

Whatever spell or wand will be used, with spell noise it will certainly wake up the dragon considering the distance between the mummy and the monster.

A dragon having a good MR is not good news in regard to the chance of effect of whatever is thrown at it, so using a spell would mean counting a lot on luck, and luck is usually failing in crawl when you really need it.

A polymorph other, even if by chance it works against the dragon MR would probably just give another dragon, and even if by luck it's an ice dragon, being at close quarter it would just use his claws and teeths that do not care about the cold resistance.

Walking is out of question as the character has no stealthy mention on the dump text, so it will wake up the beast that will be at 1 range and then will use the fire breath.

reading the teleportation scroll or self use of the teleport wand would take too much time to make effect, the dragon would tear the character apart in no time.

The scroll of fear would be great to buy time for another teleportation, but again it is said that MR can save, and dragons don't have small MR.

The scroll of summoning, resulting an abomination, could lead the dragon to have a chance to target the abomination for its 1st attack, but is the current crawl system always targetting the player first ?
And even if Crawl do not have the monsters always targetting the player first, if the summon does not appear next to the dragon, the player is lost to the claws and teeths.
So again, luck involved.

Personnally, i would try the scroll of fear, of course if it does not work the dragon will wake up and the character is dead in the following turn.
But other possibilities seems to involve even more luck.

Crawl has been a huge sadist in where the teleportation sent that mummy character.

Dramorez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: January 30, 2011, 03:13:33 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, mainly looking for a place to vent about Crawl and ask for advice on occasion. :)

I've played Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup in the past, but recently started playing again and this time I hope to actually finish the beast. Currently I'm playing a lvl 18 Spriggan Stalker, but after a near death experience I figured I'd cool off playing something else (I tend to get panicky and do stupid things, not the best trait to have in Crawl :P).

So now I was playing a deep elf conjurer, and somehow picked up this amazing mutation that gave me + 5 AC, - 1 dex and the ability to control teleport. I was overjoyed of course, having 14 AC with my other equipment would really boost my odds at survival, as well as being able to choose where I teleport! After facing a necrophage however, I got stuck with rot, so I though I'd try the one potion in my inventory that was still unidentified... Turns out it was a potion of cure mutation.

My girlfriend somehow can't understand my frustration, so I figured I'd go out and vent it to people who might. :D

While I'm venting, I might as well tell you about my other conjurer, a kenku who loyally decided to follow Makhleb, only to summon one of his servant and have him turn on himself, and get killed. I liked him too.

Phew. What a load of my chest. My psychiatrist was right, talking helps.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: January 30, 2011, 03:39:04 pm »

Tried blinking. Dragon fireblasted the crap out of me. Nothing I wasn't expecting, really. :(

Anyway, the Sif Muna energy channeling rules when you don't have a food clock. A++ would die again.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »

I guess if we made a thread for everyone to post on how unfairly the random number have killed their character, we would have it reaching a hundred page in no time ;)

That said, i then wonder, is there someone that actually won the game since 0.6 by being a Xom Chaos Knight, and never changed to any other deity at any point of the game ?

Must be totally insane and so much luck involved that anyone managing such feat would certaily have used all the luck of his lifetime in a single game run :D

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: January 31, 2011, 12:03:54 am »

From what I understand about Xom, his random problems tend to be short term issues, while when he does something nice, it tends to last a long while. So the essence of a Xom run would be to maximize survivability as fast as possible while avoiding as much of his jokes as possible.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: January 31, 2011, 12:25:37 am »

Pretty much, yeah. Don't wield a weapon as long as you can help it, don't EVER let Xom get bored, and try to stay in combat as much as possible. Xom does bad stuff in combat far less often, but the longer you go out of combat the more likely Xom is to get bored and banish you or stat drain you to death or give you shitty mutations or do something else particularly nasty.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: January 31, 2011, 03:57:36 am »

I remember having a semi-successful Xomitect a while ago. Started as a troll chaos knight, eventually died in the Abyss. Got stuck in an enclosed space, and was overwhelmed by demons. I don't even think it was Xom who sent me there. It was pretty cool, because I managed to find the Armour of the Dragon King, and actually had the strength to wear it without additional penalties.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: February 01, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »

I nearly won with a SpBe of Xom. I think it's harder than a CK, since you have to survive Trog's berserkers for most of the game along with Xom's insanity. Get teleport control and blink as fast as possible and you should be fine.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4660 on: February 06, 2011, 12:20:39 am »

So yah, I lost my akrasiac password and my laptop
where I keep a backup of it is broken. Is there a way
to get it or get it reset?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: February 06, 2011, 12:33:26 pm »

Have a level 14 Halfling Hunter of Okawaru now.

So I'm a bit confused about the elemental slings.
What exactly happens to the bullet fired from it? Weapons with elemental brands normally just add elemental damage, but in this case "it turns into a bolt of frost".
How much damage do they do?
And elemental slings stack with elemental ammo, or am I wrong?

The ammo management is being quite a burden as well.
I can't find enough of the normal shots for enchanting and thus creating a nice, long lasting stack. Okawarus gifts tend to be branded.

I turned of Short Blades at 12, thus reaching the speed cap, but leaving Slings turned on. Is there some sensible cap I should target?

And I would appreciate any other hints you can give for anyone playing a hunter.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: February 06, 2011, 12:35:27 pm »

Have a level 14 Halfling Hunter of Okawaru now.

So I'm a bit confused about the elemental slings.
What exactly happens to the bullet fired from it? Weapons with elemental brands normally just add elemental damage, but in this case "it turns into a bolt of frost".
How much damage do they do?
And elemental slings stack with elemental ammo, or am I wrong?

They don't stack, and I'm pretty sure they have the same effect as a normal brand.

The ammo management is being quite a burden as well.
I can't find enough of the normal shots for enchanting and thus creating a nice, long lasting stack. Okawarus gifts tend to be branded.

Yeah, ammo management is hell, which is why it's rare for players to use ranged weaponry anywhere near exclusively.

Not sure what to say about the rest, really. I've avoided playing ranged characters for those reasons.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: February 06, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »

Started playing again yesterday. 7,1, because I dont fancy the proposed changes for 8 at all.

Had a very successful (maybe most successful ever) run with a demonspawn wizard of Xom, which ended abruptly because of a YASD. Playing a kobold berserker now
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: February 06, 2011, 12:50:26 pm »

Started playing again yesterday. 7,1, because I dont fancy the proposed changes for 8 at all.

Any feedback in particular? I'm curious.

The changes to heavy armour are definitely a good thing, regardless. Now it's actually viable!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 990