Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666306 times)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #5985 on: July 01, 2011, 08:26:47 am »

i didnt see him
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

netbook

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • netbook2011
« Reply #5986 on: July 01, 2011, 08:29:18 am »

Once I reached floor 7, i kept dying.
 :-X :-X

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: July 01, 2011, 08:55:14 am »

Well, that was a promising OcVM.  I was pretty lucky clearing the Swamp then Shoals down to level 5 considering I only had an AC of 1.  But unlucky not to find a ring of poison resistance.  I opened the door to a vault prepared for whatever was inside: Siren, Mermaids, Merfolk, and a Snapping Turtle.  No big deal with my spells ;-)  I cast Mephitic Cloud, then the Siren sucks me into it.

Why didn't I consider that possibility?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: July 01, 2011, 10:50:25 am »

huh dont fight ogres?
Quite fucked indeed.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: July 01, 2011, 11:15:05 am »

Ogres hit hard, but are definitely beatable. Spellcasters might want to try mephitic cloud or simple nuking, while fighters that can survive a few hits can deal enough damage without any extra tricks.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: July 01, 2011, 11:41:49 am »

corrected. >.<  for the love of the dungeon, Grinder, stop mass enchanting pain! i don't want to have to roll a mummy or undead to kill you, then have to face the ghost of said mummy or undead!

I don't think that undead characters leave ghosts when they die  :)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: July 01, 2011, 11:43:50 am »

Yeah, there's nothing particularly dangerous about ogres except that they occasionally hit pretty hard (ie hard enough to one hit a low levelled or frail character - and since if you die it's game over, you can't afford to take the risk).  I find spell casters can usually gun them down before they come into melee range though.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: July 01, 2011, 11:45:30 am »

Yeah, and if one wants to be sure, mephitic cloud works miracles.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:38 am »

Usually, at the level a fighter character (i don't count berzerker in it, they can kill everything, unique or Ogre in front of them when going berzerk at low level)  is the 1st time he meets an Ogre, it is able to kill your character in 1 or 2 hits, so either use a wand to attack it from afar, or go away.

After gaining a few more levels, you should be able to kill Ogre easily, but the few first Ogres you may meet, if you don't have ranged attack (wand/sling/bow/spells/etc..), better run to not ruin your character.

With time i learned that to have a character surviving in Crawl, you must not take a risk, because the randomness of Crawl will bite you half of the time when you do so leading to a character demise.
Only take a risk when there is no other choice or if the reward is highly worth the risk of losing the character.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: July 01, 2011, 01:40:07 pm »

it was 3 tiles away, the first time i met one, i was pinned to the wall/in an corner. 3 hits. my hand in my face.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:47:53 pm by Ahra »
Quite fucked indeed.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: July 01, 2011, 01:44:07 pm »

Yeah, they hit hard, but are made of glass. It's a matter of killing them before they kill you, and this might be hard for a melee-only character.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: July 03, 2011, 01:37:45 am »

Pretty lame fate. Spend a long time grinding stats for an undead character, get interested in a certain aspect of monster generation, browse the code, after searching for a while, get the great idea that "hey, an IDE could help me find these!". Open the project with an IDE. IDE cleans and remakes WITHOUT asking for permission. A level 2 Hill orc crusader save replaces my glorious vampire!

EDIT: Vamp's back. And I'm backing up this save in 3 different locations, not for scumming but to avoid further IDE-induced mental blasts.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:39:57 am by Kay12 »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: July 03, 2011, 02:10:40 am »

I've spend some time playing fighter type characters. The most frustrating part of full-on melee classes is that at the outset you rely way too much on luck. Get a cursed weapon? For a mage, just invent to ways to troll with spells until you find the scroll. Get surrounded by 8 orc warriors, none of which any somewhat lucky regular fighter character could take. However, for a mage, just Spark or Meph or whatever you have away! You don't even have to touch tiles.

All sorts of situations like this. My normal approach: minmax my skills for both the moment and future, autoexplore and defeat everything, hit and run when too hard -- they're useless here. What am I supposed to do when stuck in a hallway in the early game between two enemies who I know I can't melee, who I don't have any spells to combat or weaken, and don't have the god superpowers to break through? I'm probably playing it wrong, but pure melee seems pretty tough.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: July 03, 2011, 02:14:04 am »

Mages have the most frustrating early game. Ice Mage? whoops, here come the Frozen Beasts! Don't have mephitic cloud yet? Gnoll feeding time! Etc., etc...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: July 03, 2011, 02:24:59 am »

Yeah, IEs and EEs certainly have the hardest. However, Air Elementalists have one of the easiest early games, due to certain races being optimized for them in general, and their first, overpowered spell you might see use of far into the midgame: Spark.
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 990