Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666194 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4950 on: March 11, 2011, 11:48:09 am »

But you're a spellcaster monk! Just bash them with your hands! Later, you can upgrade to the BLADE HANDS SPELL. IT'S LIKE QUADDAMAGE ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME BLADE HANDS WOOOOOO
WHO NEEDS TO BASH WHEN YOU CAN SLICE!

If only there was a way to do both at the same time... Or dual-wielding capabilities...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: March 11, 2011, 12:08:34 pm »

Seriously, using weapons as a transmuter is a waste of perfectly good experience, since later on you will be fighting unarmed all the time. Blade Hands are just that good. And you can kick some serious butt with unarmed even without any transformation when you're a sludge elf. Last game I found a staff of crushing on D2, and fists were still killing stuff faster.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: March 11, 2011, 01:15:18 pm »

Vorthon: Next time, don't pick up a weapon.  Unarmed combat kicks butt...

... for SeTms, at least. I just wanted to clarify that most classes do want to use a weapon, but in the case of transmuters (and especially sludge elves, who have a high aptitude for unarmed combat) not using a weapon is better. I don't know if that still applies in the very late game when you find a particularly juicy randart.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: March 11, 2011, 01:16:52 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just use the mace I found in my latest attempt as a throwing weapon.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: March 11, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

What is a juicy randart compared to hasted dragon form?

Anyway, I just got banished into the abyss, walked some tiles to the right, and found the abysall rune of zot? Holy crap.

Now I just need to get out alive :P
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: March 11, 2011, 04:40:11 pm »

After reading the bot :
Level 8 necromancy spell from the Book of Unlife. Gives you the temporary status of "channeling the dead" (check it in @ or %), during which all things you kill come to life as permanent spectral thing friendlies, but leave corpses too. Pretty kickass if you like using pets. Never use this without recall.
I was happy as in an extremely rare occurence for my necromancer games, my current character just reached a state in which it can cast it very reliably without miscasting itself to Abyss.
But then after several turns, in the middle of a large battle, oops no more spectral things ... letting the horde of enemies then coming for me.
The hell ?

Looking up google and the mantis in case if it was a known bug or if i should report it.
No it was indeed a nerf :
http://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/commit/ee1e90a520876fa73b6b2bea0bc56c6964ff8806
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:42:00 pm by Robsoie »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: March 11, 2011, 05:48:37 pm »

I cleared Elf, mostly by sneaking up on people and stabbing them to death and then tossing confusion potions on anyone who woke up. The bonus stealth is surprisingly useful. Had some demon problems here and there, but I could usually confuse the summoners before they managed to call up anything nasty. Alistair's Intoxication was a tremendous help in the bottom vault. Anyway, none of the elves had any branded bucklers. Not a single one. I picked up a plain +2 buckler, but I'm a bit disappointed. I think I'll be cleaning up Lair:8 next. I could definitely clear swamp with my current power level, but frankly, I think Swamp is BORING. Maybe I'll try the ninja route, sneaking to the bottom, grabbing the rune, and running.

Any tips for a new player? I've mucked around with a bit already. Highest experience level I've got a character to is 7.

I'll repeat the earlier suggestions of troll berserker and spriggan enchanter. Especially the troll. Any troll, really. They're badass enough to survive the early game regardless of what starting skills they get. For good time, start a troll chaos knight of Xom and see how long you'll survive Her hilarious pranks. :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: March 11, 2011, 05:57:43 pm »

I had a question about trolls.  Namely, weapons.  Is there any weapon, artifact or otherwise, that warrants switching to it over claws?
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: March 11, 2011, 07:37:44 pm »

They're not too awful with maces & flails, and sometimes a randart one will be decent enough to warrant switching over (resists, Speed brand, etc.). It really depends on the situation.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:34 pm »

A particularly good hand and a half weapon will do more damage than claws. It might be worthwhile to switch to a great randart weapon if it's well enchanted and has good resistances. Even without the claws unarmed combat is incredibly competitive with regular weapons in the late game.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:49 pm »

A particularly good hand and a half weapon will do more damage than claws.

Claws can be faster, though, although it really depends on the individual weapon (a weapon of Speed will definitely be faster unless it's really slow and you're low-skilled).

Unarmed combat also get your UC skill added to base damage for your primary attack, and trolls get an extra +6 on top of that. That's a lot of base damage! Plus you get auxiliary attacks, but nobody really cares about those very much.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: March 11, 2011, 09:55:39 pm »

I think only giant spiked clubs may merit switching.  They're the biggest stick in the game!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: March 12, 2011, 02:27:19 am »

If an ogre drops a giant spiked club, pick it up. At worst, you can use it to smack hydras and avoid using your claws to take off its heads. If you come across a good randart giant spiked club, I do believe that it out powers claws at that point.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:48 am »

Did swamp. Just went down as fast as possible, avoiding monsters, grabbing what loot I could reach with apportation, used magic mapping at the bottom and headed for what looked like the rune vault. It was the ice ending, and after fighting a few hydra simulacra, I used a ring to turn invisible, flew into the rune room, apported the rune and flew out. The ice dragons will never find out just what happened. >:]

UPDATE:
Vaults:8 had two shadow dragons, who are now prowling around Vaults:7. I think I'll go explore dungeon proper for a while. See if I'll find something that can actually hurt them. :/

I also found Mara in Vaults, and she woke up before I had a chance to stab her. Ran away. Maybe she'll have gone back to sleep if I return later.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:48:29 am by Soadreqm »

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: March 12, 2011, 11:53:27 am »

Made a Minotaur of Mahleb. Got 3 scrolls of enchantment II and an amulet of faith on the first level. Got 2 scrolls of enchantment I on level 2. Died on level 4 of the dungeon, because I decided I want my spear to keep its enchantments and summoned a demon to fight that jelly. It decided it didn't want to be friends. Think of the potential... -_-
 Thats Crawl for you. *sigh*
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 990