Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665884 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4680 on: February 10, 2011, 04:22:18 pm »

and dodging was draining XP that were supposed to go into swords, and I was keeping a wall of spammals on at all times anyways.

If your wall of spammals were working, then dodging wouldn't have been eating XP.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: February 10, 2011, 04:48:24 pm »

Hydras are fucking me up and I have 30 EV. I'm just gonna skip the little bastard for now.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: February 11, 2011, 05:50:07 am »

My wall of spammals WAS working. I just turn dodge off as a matter of course, pretty much every time I am playing a caster. At least until I have my spell chance and HP at the level I want them.

Besides, vampires get an evasion bonus anyway. It should train by itself.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:54:39 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: February 11, 2011, 09:13:09 am »

I just turn dodge off as a matter of course, pretty much every time I am playing a caster. At least until I have my spell chance and HP at the level I want them.

Besides, vampires get an evasion bonus anyway. It should train by itself.

I honestly consider this very bad advice except possibly for the very, very early game. For the most part, you do not want to turn dodging off (or armour, as the case may be). It's very important in Crawl to have good defensive stats, and if you're a long-range caster your HP is probably terrible because you aren't training Fighting.

I'm not sure what evasion bonus you're talking about for vampires (they're normal-sized), and even if they got one, that wouldn't cause dodging to "train by itself".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:47 am »

They got +1 aptitude in dodging. Which REALLY DOESN'T mean that you can just turn it off and still expect to have good EV. Even with a wall of spammals, seems you'd want to have EV just for those magic bolts that go right through everything. Or for when a hydra tears through the animal wall.

I think dodging is one of the skills that get very slow constant training, along with armour and stealth, so it makes sense to turn it off if you never intend to have to dodge an attack. I'm not sure how you're going to manage THAT, though. :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:41 pm »

I think dodging is one of the skills that get very slow constant training, along with armour and stealth

Nope. Dodging is trained by getting attacked (and the attacks missing, I believe). Armour is trained by getting hit for positive damage.

They got +1 aptitude in dodging.

That means it takes 2^(-1/4) times as much experience (relative to 0 aptitude, or a human) to raise the skill, so... 84% or so. Significant, but not amazing and not a reason to leave it turned off.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: February 11, 2011, 01:12:49 pm »

No matter how much EV you have, it's probably better to have more...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: February 12, 2011, 08:53:30 pm »

Yaks are the most overpowered bastards... EVER! I had a yak and a hellion fight in the arena and the yak won with barely any injuries.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: February 13, 2011, 01:33:50 pm »

Well, just tried the released version, and the insta-crashes have slowed, but it requires multiple clickings of the exe to get the program to come up and stay up enough for it to load. Is there a RAM spike when it loads up that maybe Vista closes by default? I cant even minimize the game because when I restore it, it crashes then too. I really wish I could stop it from crashing all the time. But I'm stumped.

Also, has anyone seen an actual crossbow in the game? I've played Crawl for years and I have yet to find a crossbow, only bolts.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:04:12 pm by budthespud »

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: February 13, 2011, 02:23:52 pm »

Is there a difference between being a Mountain Dwarf Chaos Knight for Makhleb and being a Mountain Dwarf Fighter who will go towards Maklheb when he can?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: February 13, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »

A Makhleb Chaos Knight starting with Maklheb means you'll gain faith (and so faith ranks) earlier, leading you to gain Malkleb powers earlier.
It can take a lots of time for a Fighter to reach temple (and lots of luck to find a Makhleb altar before that). And if you're unlucky, you'll have a corrupted temple with mostly Lugonu altar replacing most of the other altars, leading you into a chance of not finding a Makhleb one.

Additionally a chaos knight start with a +2,+2 weapon, can make a real difference in early fights.

The advantage for the fighter is him starting with shields and the appropriate skill, meaning you'll be able to block sometime attacks and increase your shield skill quicker.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: February 13, 2011, 03:34:33 pm »

Well, just tried the released version, and the insta-crashes have slowed, but it requires multiple clickings of the exe to get the program to come up and stay up enough for it to load. Is there a RAM spike when it loads up that maybe Vista closes by default? I cant even minimize the game because when I restore it, it crashes then too. I really wish I could stop it from crashing all the time. But I'm stumped.

Also, has anyone seen an actual crossbow in the game? I've played Crawl for years and I have yet to find a crossbow, only bolts.
Ya, yakaturs have bunches of them. Finding them hasn't been a problem for me (although i do prefer to use long bows instead).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: February 13, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »

Looks like it might have been the fact I didnt update my Geforce 8800 drivers in a couple months, it's running pretty good now. No crashes as of yet. Although I am a bit confused with the fact editing the tiles_options init file seems to have no effect. It has fullscreen = true, but it still runs in a 1280x1024 window. Even though the windowed settings has it at 1024x768. Just a little odd.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »

So...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've never had a spellcaster this successful before, and therefore have no idea what I'm doing. Any advice on what to do next?
I've only ever managed to grab a rune once before, with an MDFi before they got nerfed. So yeah.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: February 13, 2011, 09:12:51 pm »

Anybody know where I could find a recording of a (hopefully Tile) ascension?
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 990