Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1665936 times)

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4635 on: January 18, 2011, 02:24:31 pm »

Ah, whoops. I seemed to remember it being done the hard way, but then, my experience mostly comes from 5.1

I did have fun in the swamps though: set some trees on fire. Lucky me, I can barely be touched by steam even though I have no particular resistance to it.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: January 18, 2011, 02:29:52 pm »

Did you test what happens to mutations when your food level drops after gaining them? I think I've heard that non-physical mutations stop working until you get yourself blooded up again, and the "non-physical mutation effects" field certainly suggests that, but it'd be nice to have empirically tested facts.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: January 18, 2011, 02:38:19 pm »

Physical mutations don't seem to be effected. Checked with a number of different ones. It seems stuff like poison spitting is counted as non-physical, though. Apparently, it just prevents you from using activated mutations. The mutations that no longer work will be greyed out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:40:16 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: January 21, 2011, 01:25:05 am »

I just tried playing their latest versions on the RSS feed, latest one crashes to desktop immediately upon opening, the second-latest one i had better luck with. one playthrough and an accidental exit, with crashing to desktops after starting it up again.

I hope they didnt add something incompatible with Windows Vista 32bit all of a sudden.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: January 24, 2011, 10:13:26 am »

I just tried playing their latest versions on the RSS feed, latest one crashes to desktop immediately upon opening, the second-latest one i had better luck with. one playthrough and an accidental exit, with crashing to desktops after starting it up again.

I hope they didnt add something incompatible with Windows Vista 32bit all of a sudden.

It's a good bet that most of the development happens under Linux, and that OtherOSes get test drove and crash fixed more toward the end of a development cycle. I imagine everybody tries to be as architecture and platform neutral as possible, but beyond 'it compiles' any builds that aren't on the main development architecture and platform will probably lag in a bit stability, until they start polishing it up for release. That's just the natural mechanics of the situation. I think it's cool that a lot of people play the development version of this game, and hopefully give feedback, report bugs, and report crashes, but if 'stable enough to ascend' is a priority PLAY THE STABLE VERSION.

budthespud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: January 25, 2011, 01:57:29 am »

Well I thought stable enough would mean it would not crash upon startup, like literally a flash of the window and the program is closed. Seems like its more a problem on my end, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: January 25, 2011, 12:42:28 pm »

The latest 0.8.x development build is updated very regularly on their website, so even if one is crashing for you, try a few days later there could be a new one that does not crash anymore for you.
http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/
There's one that have been uploaded just yesterday.

Additionally, you can always try to report your crash, if the newer builds continue to crash for you on their bug tracker  :
https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: January 26, 2011, 09:20:13 am »

Well I thought stable enough would mean it would not crash upon startup, like literally a flash of the window and the program is closed. Seems like its more a problem on my end, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Especially if it's a scripted or automated build there's not usually any such guarantee. As was said above, try back in a few days, or always keep the last version that mostly worked. It's not like it's a conspiracy by Linux based developers-- If most people develop under Linux, and it crashes out immediately after launch, it will get fixed very quickly simply because the developers will want to test their own changes. For the minority developer platforms you're usually racing along somewhere behind that. (I'm not sure, but in many projects the Windows build is done as a courtesy by a Linux based dev who has Visual Studio as well.)

For something like developer builds, there's probably just a script that goes: "OK, it built, throw it in an installer package." Just be happy, under Linux your expected to roll your own. :) (On .deb based distros: apt-get build-dep craw-tiles, then read the building / config instructions, then build but don't install system wide, is the way to go.)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: January 26, 2011, 01:54:09 pm »

Sapravore is an on-off switch, either you have it or you don't. Sapravore lets you eat rotten meat, Carnivore is the one that lets you eat meat even when not hungry.

Nope. Saprovore has 3 levels, although the third is only applicable to ghouls.

What I meant was you can't upgrade Sapravore. In fact, I don't think you can ever randomly get Sapravore.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:18 pm »

I can mostly confirm that. I have a sample of several hundred doses of mutation potion, and not once have I ever gotten saprovore.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: January 26, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »

Yeah, I asked around, and apparently you can't. A level of Carnivore does allow you to eat chunks when not hungry, though.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: January 27, 2011, 02:27:09 pm »

Quote from: mentioned wiki page
version 0.4 (I think)
up to August 3, 2009
statistics compiled by xyblor
:-\

Detect Creatures was third. We don't even have that as a spell anymore. Haven't for a while...

Not that haste and blink aren't still pretty powerful, but I somehow doubt that's indicative of actual usage... and I'd expect blink to be more common than haste, nowadays. It's more useful, I'd argue. Less needed investment, less downsides, and controllable blink is an item away and freakishly useful for escape.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: January 29, 2011, 07:34:46 pm »

So, my mummy venom mage was attacked by a bunch of yaktaurs in the Vaults, and they were kind of wearing on my health, so I teleported away.

Right next to a sleeping dragon.

How the hell am I supposed to survive this? There's no way I'll be able to one-shot the scaly asshole, and I'm a mummy! A dessicated corpse! And the stupid lizard shoots fire!

Here is the character dump. I guess I have a bunch of things I can try. Try to sneak away. Try to run away, stopping the dragon from following me with butterflies. Teleport away. Teleport the dragon away. Polymorph the dragon. Blink away.

So, any ideas on what I should do?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: January 29, 2011, 07:54:08 pm »

Sleeping?  Well, annoyingly, monsters can wake up, move and attack in the same turn.  So I guess all you can do is step away, cast butterflies, teleport and hope for the best...
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 990