Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1666230 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #4455 on: December 28, 2010, 05:42:29 am »

Awesome job, Narmio! Congratulations on your first win :)

However, now it gets worse! You'll be thinking "Oh damn, I actually won, I'm a pro now! I gotta go for one of them DIFFICULT combos and win that!" and it'll bring much more suffering and misery unto the world. Or at least that's how I went /shrug. I've always wanted to do well on a KoBe, btw, it's a pretty fun combo to play.  All in all, nice :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: December 28, 2010, 06:05:56 am »

Awesome job, Narmio! Congratulations on your first win :)

However, now it gets worse! You'll be thinking "Oh damn, I actually won, I'm a pro now! I gotta go for one of them DIFFICULT combos and win that!" and it'll bring much more suffering and misery unto the world. Or at least that's how I went /shrug. I've always wanted to do well on a KoBe, btw, it's a pretty fun combo to play.  All in all, nice :)
Cheers. :) I'm sure Crawl will lure me back one day! But I'll give it a break for a good while, I think.

This was actually my first ever KoBe, I originally decided to try it as a joke then realised how well it worked.  I usually play elementalists/conjurers of various races (Usually DE and Kenku), crusaders (Merfolk, mostly) and paladins (I really like HOPa and MiPa).  So not exactly hard combos.  Some of them should really be easier than KoBe!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: December 28, 2010, 06:56:00 am »

Sticky Flame got nerfed quite badly. Now it has a range of 1. This makes it much harder to use, definitely a very weak level 4 spell. I think it should be dropped down to level 3 since it's clearly worse than Throw Icicle and Mephitic Cloud now.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: December 31, 2010, 03:17:07 am »

In my latest 0.8 trunk run, i had lots of fun with a vampire necromancer, purely using necromancy spells.
I had reached the point i could obtain the necronomicon, that i selected as my vampire was not built toward close combat, and as i just found a ring of wizardry (that increase your spell mastery), i learned Haunt from it and thanks to the wizardry ring i could cast it very reliably.

Always trying to get at least 4 large abomination (thanks to the Twisted Resurrection spell and Kikku "Send corpses" ability that was coming in handy to rebuild some large abomination when they were destroyed), i was very happy of that character.
And to get more "meat" shield, the Animate Undead to get fresh zombies was very good.
And the Recall Undead to get back next to me my slower undead hordes was just perfect.

At some point i found the Vault branch and decided to explore the 3 first floors to get more experience.
In the 2nd floor of Vault i met an army of Orcs warrior and Orcs wizards, with an Orc Knight.
And behind them was Saint Rokka.

As i was at +/- 80 hit point, i could easily use Pain without worrying about my health too, and it's always efficient at that point of the game, in combination to Vampiric Draining if things got too personnal.

My zombie and large abomination horde found a good challenge there.
I already faced Saint Rokka with various kind of characters, i know that he can easily "Smite" you to death from afar by repeating it several time if you're not using a health based character, and i know that he can tear your character apart in close combat when you're not very high level.

So i used 2 time Haunt on him, to keep him busy.

But it created a big amount of spectral troops, and Saint Rokka was broken in multiple parts in only a few turns, it's always very rewarding to destroy that unique that has always given you a hard time.
And the remaining of the Orc army was unable to deal with the remaining spectres and my undead horde that were surrounding and overpowering them.

On the same floor, there was Mara, another very annoying unique, but as my vampire is very stealthy, Mara was sleeping.
He never knew what was coming to him when he was assaulted by a bunch of spectral creatures, he tried to blink away, only to land in the middle of my large abomination troops.
Mara never stood a chance.
It reminds me of so much of my character deaths, when trying to teleport away, all i did was landing in worse situation :D

Good that sometime it happens to those damned monsters.

So confidence was building up, something very bad in Crawl as it tends to make you forget that random generation can kill your character very easily.

My vampire and its army while exploring the 3rd floor were finished with a fight with several centaur warriors, those always very annoying missiles users that can fill you in arrows before you even understand what is happening.
So i was not anymore at full health, but i was + /- at 70 health, more than 3/4 of my total hit points, so i didn't bothered with resting or use potions as i could always need them later after all.

And while exploring the surrounding at some point what did i saw appearing in range : Xtahua.

Xtahua is on my list of the uniques i hate the most, for a good reason, each time i met it i was always using a character that had never found any kind of fire protection item.
And when you don't have such thing and meet Xtahua, you understand that Crawl wants to kill your character.

Xtahua was fully awake, unlike most of the monster i was going around thanks to my high stealth. That's another hint that Crawl do not want your character to go further.

Result for my 70 health character in the turn following my attempt at retreating to a nearby corner :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xtahua is now higher than anything else on my "must kill that damned thing" list
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:21:22 am by Robsoie »

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: December 31, 2010, 01:47:32 pm »

Can anybody give me some advice on how to live past a few floors on this game? I am having fun but I'm getting a little frustrated by not being able to get past level 4 or 5 EVER. I've read some of the guides on the crawl wiki but they don't help when you see some powerful guy, start running and the next turn he's up against you murdering you

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: December 31, 2010, 04:31:39 pm »

I just lost a MDFi, because the latest development build is buggy. I tried an earlier build, but it crashed upon loading. :-/

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: December 31, 2010, 05:46:31 pm »

Can anybody give me some advice on how to live past a few floors on this game? I am having fun but I'm getting a little frustrated by not being able to get past level 4 or 5 EVER. I've read some of the guides on the crawl wiki but they don't help when you see some powerful guy, start running and the next turn he's up against you murdering you

If you aren't running away fast enough, try playing a spriggan. Spriggans have a faster move speed than most early powerful guys, and a Spriggan Transmuter can confuse any dangerous foes at a lowish level.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: December 31, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »

a Spriggan Transmuter can confuse any dangerous foes at a lowish level.

Why transmuter specifically? There are other classes that have access to Confuse and Mephitic Cloud, as well as various escape options. Spriggans work well as most of those.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: December 31, 2010, 05:59:44 pm »

That's just the nature of Crawl. If you're not going to cheat, you have to put up with the RNG bending you over 3 times out of 4.

I don't play many casters so I don't have experience in that area. But with fighter esqe classes, once you secure a few pieces of armor, your survival rate seems to go up pretty fast. (Uniques withstanding.) What gets you is that dramatic jump from rats and cockroaches to Orc Wizards and Priests.

My advice is just keep plugging away at it. Uniques you can do very little about, but the wizards and priests...my strategy is usually to go down the stairs into level 5 and scout. If I'm jumped by wizards and priests immediately, I go back up a level and hit them from another side. This usually has the effect that the clump of orcs spreads out a little, making them much more manageable.

I was having a ton of trouble in the beginning getting past level 4 and 5 with melee characters....but I dunno, a little drop luck and some familiarity with kiting and/or separating packs, and I don't have as much trouble with it anymore.

Also: throwing weapons. Do not underestimate the value of throwing weapons against piddly creatures. Lots of times I've used throwing weapons to kill important targets at range, run and hide, and come back later to ambush the remainder. Throwing also makes you a much more effective kiter, as you can kill while you flee.

Stealth is handy simply for the fact you can get a turn to react to a monster's presence rather than having them immediately aggro you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:03:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Candlejack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: December 31, 2010, 06:26:10 pm »

I have concluded that felids are totally overpowered. I can just breeze through large groups of powerful enemies without getting hurt due to ridiculous evasion and never have to be apart of a fight unless I want to because of high stealth and speed. They make great berserkers due to slow metabolism and carnivorous, and great transmuters due to high int, dex, and unarmed bonuses. Hopefully they won't get rid of blade paws.

Unrelated: I'm still huttburt about major balance issues, especially with ogres. Nobody cares about underpowered or counter-intuitive races because nobody ever plays them, it's all NERF NERF NERF until everything is equally useless.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: December 31, 2010, 06:47:25 pm »

it's all NERF NERF NERF until everything is equally useless. the devs question the need for the class at all and just remove it.

Fix't. I'm still bitter about the Thief.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: December 31, 2010, 08:28:39 pm »

To be fair, I'm not sure what Thieves were supposed to be. Now if you really wanted something that should've been tweaked rather than cut, look at Death Knights.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: December 31, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »

That's just the nature of Crawl. If you're not going to cheat, you have to put up with the RNG bending you over 3 times out of 4.

I don't play many casters so I don't have experience in that area. But with fighter esqe classes, once you secure a few pieces of armor, your survival rate seems to go up pretty fast. (Uniques withstanding.) What gets you is that dramatic jump from rats and cockroaches to Orc Wizards and Priests.

My advice is just keep plugging away at it. Uniques you can do very little about, but the wizards and priests...my strategy is usually to go down the stairs into level 5 and scout. If I'm jumped by wizards and priests immediately, I go back up a level and hit them from another side. This usually has the effect that the clump of orcs spreads out a little, making them much more manageable.

I was having a ton of trouble in the beginning getting past level 4 and 5 with melee characters....but I dunno, a little drop luck and some familiarity with kiting and/or separating packs, and I don't have as much trouble with it anymore.

Also: throwing weapons. Do not underestimate the value of throwing weapons against piddly creatures. Lots of times I've used throwing weapons to kill important targets at range, run and hide, and come back later to ambush the remainder. Throwing also makes you a much more effective kiter, as you can kill while you flee.

Stealth is handy simply for the fact you can get a turn to react to a monster's presence rather than having them immediately aggro you.

Great advice! I'll use it. I've also just finally got up to a level 7 deep elf necromancer. Once I got the hang of when to use what spell I got passed a little wall so far

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: January 03, 2011, 11:25:13 am »

I'm currently playing a TrHu, and its pretty fun. Trolls aren't bad at all at hurling death from afar in the form of boulders, javelins and etc. I think I'm going to join okawaru so I can have a rather reliable source of stuff to throw.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Artaud

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress <3 Cataclysm: DDA <3 Dungeon Crawl
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #4469 on: January 07, 2011, 07:55:30 pm »

I love this game. I really do. Got a Sludge Elf Venom Mage to the last level of the Orc Mines just now. I was on such a roll! Atleast it felt like I was. Dying is always so anticlimactic...
When the power of love overcomes the love for power, the world will know peace.
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 990