Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667622 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11985 on: May 23, 2014, 02:58:14 pm »

For those interested by this dcss variant, i just noticed that Crawl Light got new builds in April
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5602#p162712

some of the difference from Crawl Light :
https://github.com/dtsund/crawl-light/blob/cl-trunk/crawl-ref/docs/changelog.txt
The basic changes are actually scaring me away, but that Zin overwork is just glorious.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: May 23, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »

I really like the fact enemies can track you through stairs in Crawl Light, there lots of good ideas.
And the overall shortening and removal of the to-me boring food game make it a great coffeebreaker.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: May 25, 2014, 11:32:28 am »

Urgh, this is getting worse. Corrosion can just be waited out, there are no longer species diet differences (metabolism/herbivore wise) and sickness attacks have been removed.

urghhh.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: May 25, 2014, 07:48:28 pm »

Huh. I don't mind the diet shenanigans/sickness going away (they mostly jut amount to a little bit of extra tedium) but corrosion as equipment drain is... weird.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: May 25, 2014, 08:19:31 pm »

These changes are all in trunk, right? Trunk is for testing ideas, right? So there's no guarantee the changes will make it into the final version, if players don't like the changes and are vocal enough about it.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: May 25, 2014, 08:49:55 pm »

There are people who like item corrosion?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11991 on: May 25, 2014, 09:17:25 pm »

I don't like item corrosion in much the same way I don't like horrible mutations; it sucks, but it's an obstacle to be aware of and it's hardly irreversible/unavoidable, especially since most of the things that corrode live in one particular branch of the dungeon. I don't recall ever having significant item corrosion to Purple Ugly Things, since usually by the time I encounter them I have a decent smattering of artifact gear and/or gear enchanted to the point of immunity.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: May 25, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »

Item corrosion is annoying when overdone. This isn't the case for most of the dungeon, but then there's an entire branch devoted to item corrosion (among other annoying things). That much is just too far - it's okay for a somewhat uncommon obstacle, but not as a basic mechanic of a multi-level branch.

Otherwise I dont mind it too much. Basic jellies could probably have their chance to corrode toned down, though. They spawn a bit too often and a bit too early.

How do you play Vine Stalkers? I've found them pretty bad at melee because of their bad HP, but then I've also found the "mana=hp" mechanic makes spellcasting annoying too. Take a bad hit and you're suddenly losing half your mana.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: May 25, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »

If the only good thing you can say about a mechanic is "it isn't in the game much" then it might not be a good mechanic.

More seriously though I think jellied are mostly an annoyance rather than a serious threat (you can go away and put on disposable equipment before fighting them).

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11994 on: May 25, 2014, 11:13:28 pm »

You can also carry rocks and optionally a sling and just chunk rocks at it 'til it dies.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: May 26, 2014, 10:22:03 am »

Wow, lots of Crawl dev hate. Mountain Dwarves and Evapourate? Can we have a post bewailing the lack of victory dancing next please? (Seriously, evaporate really was massively overpowered, I loved that spell, and MD really were kinda Mounotaur Dworcs, so no loss there (I mean, if you still care, why not just rename the Minotaur race Mountain Dwarves and recompile? Added bonus: the resulting endless forum wars with all those Minotaur fans)).

I have to admit, outside the tournaments and the occasional startup screen typo, I only play Trunk. I don't mind testing ideas that turn out bad, I didn't even mind loosing a couple of pretty strong characters to the new Depths when they were first introduced (really really brutal, rather than the just brutal they are at the moment). I like Trunk because if I really hate something (like nausea), I have the opportunity to say so, and sometimes if enough people dislike stuff, the devs will listen. Overall, I like Crawl a lot, and would say its got considerably better over the past few years.

/the current implementation of the temporary corrosion thing is a bit weird mind - another reason to mash '5' after a fight? It does make Zot a lot more tolerable though - I used to really hate yellow Dracs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:25:12 am by vogonpoet »
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: May 26, 2014, 11:02:54 am »

disagreeing with devs choices does not mean "devs hate"

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: May 26, 2014, 11:40:07 am »

These changes are all in trunk, right? Trunk is for testing ideas, right? So there's no guarantee the changes will make it into the final version, if players don't like the changes and are vocal enough about it.

Most mechanical things (non-god/race additions) that go in trunk stay in really, I know it's not fixed and there have been some renegs, but it's mainly fixed if it's stayed in for a few days.

Again, it's not individual stuff, it's just as a whole it seems that they're removing everything that has ever been called annoying. I don't find hardly any of these things annoying, they're just challenges to overcome and it seems to be going the way of 'any mechanic that isn't blasting or slashing something is annoying' whereas I like the more strategic elements.

More than this though, effects like corrosion, item loss (through freezing and burning) and sickness (with stat drain) were all things that gradually wore your character down, whereas now it's becoming a more linear curve to victory/defeat, which I think takes a lot of my enjoyment out.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: May 26, 2014, 12:00:57 pm »

Halflings now get +1 Armour aptitude in trunk! Hurrah, my favorite race <3

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11999 on: May 26, 2014, 02:09:12 pm »

i think its a good idea to check if features in the game actually have a purpose, and remove them if not.
with the exeption of the removal of elven ring mails, i realy dont miss anything that got removed. and branded elven ringmails where so rare they had been almost non existent anyway, so thats not a big loss neither.

Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 990