Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667293 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11670 on: February 03, 2014, 08:46:36 am »

DDHe is probably the strongest combo in the game, it's just kindof horrible to play.  It's definitely the best if you're going for a 3 rune speedrun.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11671 on: February 03, 2014, 10:08:45 am »

Huh, I actually didn't mind it! I admittedly started as a fighter and found an early altar to ely, so that probably helped quite a bit. Might have to take another swing at it sometime. Was having some permafood issues, just because I'm not used to using hunger cost god powers so often, but it's not like it's uncommon.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: February 03, 2014, 12:24:32 pm »

Ely has particularly high food costs, mainly because her heals don't drain your piety but give some, and are pretty much a kill equivalent (in term of immediate risks).

Tryrar => you may want some rMut if you wan to go further (Zin can help you with that, if you don't find some, maybe gifted by Oka).

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: February 03, 2014, 04:04:37 pm »

Already have an amulet of resist mut ^_^
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:30 pm »

First trip to shoals ended in disaster. I also found a unique no one knew anything about (on the wiki/bots). Hooray! Didn't evne have a tile.

On the bright side I'm now thoroughly convinced both Deep Dwarves and Elyvion are beasts. Admittedly Ely would likely fall off into late game with less natural creatures for easy piety, but still, you can switch into zin/TSO.

I'm actually interested now, what unique was it?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11675 on: February 04, 2014, 02:35:13 am »

I found it again on my first run that's gotten a rune (two in fact! While I'm here, I got the swamp and snake pit runes, I assume I should go for vaults next? My one complaint is right now I only have a war axe, as an orc jesus and I'm hoping the hall of blades will fix that), and his name is "Asterion". Minotaur, Seems to have a guaranteed demon blade, showed up near the start of... snake I want to say? Before that he showed up at the beginning of shoals.

He's a pretty beefy melee character with spectral weapon, I could see him being an issue if you can't nuke him down/go toe to toe with him but he doesn't really do anything terribly tricky either from what I saw. Although he does have major destruction from maklehbs abilities, so that's somethin.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:49:43 am by Seriyu »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: February 04, 2014, 04:35:17 am »

Got a warper going after a zillion times, and then I get totally owned by Nikola. And I killed Agnes with that character fairly easily with curare and blinking. In retrospect, I should've bailed out of Snake the first time I saw Nikola, but I couldn't keep diving the Lair because there was an excessive number of hydras on level 4 and I was using a non-fiery scimitar, and Orc 4 had a really dangerous looking pack of warlords and sorcerers. And I felt I wasn't ready to go deeper in dungeon yet (.13, so no Depths).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:30 am »

Well, when playing 0.13, the difficulty in the main dungeon increases by "little" steps, so it's supposed to be easier to go deeper to get some XP and loot.
By the way, when you meet uniques, try to go throw another stairs to avoid them, especialyl in Lair and its branches, which have very weird floorplans. It's not always possible, but given how Lair's (good) loot is mostly in the vaults, which are guaranted in the last levels...

- - - - - -
I am currently playing an Ogre of Xom. Begun as an Arcane Marksman but Hunters are good as well, even better I think, because those have a melee weapon at start, and a bonus large rock. Ogre of Xom are really fun to play, because their big HP pool means they can mitigate most of the harmful effects xom will inflict you, and their low AC (before dragon armors) and low number of armro slots mean they benefit from pretty much every "good" mutation.
Ogre of xom really feels like playing a demonspawn with +30%HP and Giant Clubs ! :D
Moreover, Xom gave me a Rod of frigid destruction (which include the Freezing Cloud) quite early, so I think I won't go for spellcasting for a while. Means less XP to spend on utilities, so more XP to spend on defences (as I already have 22 Maces :-° ).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: February 04, 2014, 05:47:56 am »

I actually deliberately engaged Nikola, because I figured Agnes was just as tough and YOLO.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: February 04, 2014, 05:58:29 am »

Nikola is one of the best damage-dealer uniques in the game.
Usually, you can "safely" engage him if you can deal damage from outside of line of sight (magic clouds), confuse him with Mephitic, or if you canget close to him and deal high damage in melee.
Most of the time, trying to kill him with ranged weapons/spells is a bad idea, because it's a gamble (even with rElec, he can still deal 50+ damage per turn if you're not careful with walls).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: February 04, 2014, 06:48:39 am »

Minotaur Berserker reached level 14, some nasty wands in inventory and nice enough Evocation skill to make them deal good damage.

Noticed Sonja, i remembered she has low HP and blinked a lot, but the big annoyance is that she had a chance to spawn with some distorsion weapon, so i decided to shoot her with the wands instead of risking a melee and get banished, her poison darts weren't big deal as i have rpoison and enough cure potion to deal with the possible overpoisoning.

shot 1 : missed
shot 2 : missed again, damn
shot 3 .. no shot 3, Sonja just blinked close to me and ... banished my character.

Goodbye minotaur, you were really promising, but surviving Abyss at level 14 proved of course too much.

edit : just tried a Formithing fighter , my first one to see what is that about.
let's start .. autoexplore .. a goblin is in view, i run to crush the poor monster , oh he had the time to hit me once, no problem, he's dead.
Hmm, what's that ? poison ?
Bah, i'm near full health even if formicids does not have high health, i'll wait until it's healed, i should be able to afford it.
Not like i have any choice, i have no curing potion.
.... You die...

What ?
Looking at formicid on the bot
Ant-people species with permanent stasis, digging and self-shaft abilities, antennae, low HP and -rPois . Medium-sized but can wield giant clubs, and all other weapons are one-handed.
Oh.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:07:23 am by Robsoie »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: February 04, 2014, 02:17:15 pm »

Yeah Formicids take the worst part of early-game and multiply it by 10. That's why I've not yet tried the antsy bastards. I have enough troubles finding stuff to punch after the rare deaths to poison on a regular character, let alone dying 5 times in a row to adders.

I hear Formicid Hunters and Venom Mages are top-notch though, if you want to get one going.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11682 on: February 04, 2014, 02:35:59 pm »

Formicids have the same advantage at ranged fighters as Ogres and Trolls : large rocks. Those one-shot adders (as long as they hit), so you don't have to worry about their poison. And they're even better against the early orc/gnoll packs, as you can usually get them in a corridor and hit everyone of them at once.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: February 04, 2014, 02:58:14 pm »

I'm not sure large rocks are that common in early game, in fact i don't remember the last time i saw one at that point of the game.

When a recent character i found a pack of formicids when exploring the main dungeon, they had the same "dig through walls" power as those deep trolls that are found in the Depths, making them more dangerous than they are, as changing the configuration of your carefully selected chokepoint can then leave you open to attacks from multiple directions.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: February 04, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

That's why you may want to strat as a Hunter or as an Arcane Marksman, when playing a Formicid or an Ogre.

And yeah, monster formicids dig while walking straight through walls. They're common in the Spider Nest and can be encountered rarely elsewhere. I had some of them in Lair, near a group of elephants who were really happy with the 3 tiles wide corridor the formicid made, attacking me :/
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 990