Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667273 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11655 on: February 02, 2014, 01:57:36 pm »

One thing that I do to reduce the chances of mobs waking up early is to get as close as I can before getting in their line of sight. Skills like shadowstep or Control Tele+Blink would help when there weren't walls or obstacles I could abuse. Spot a sleeping enemy in the open, go back a space to leave their sight, then CTele+Blink in their general direction, then shadowstep to close the gap further if necessary and I really don't want it to wake up *cough*HYDRAS*cough*. Takes less time than walking up to it, which could be the difference between it waking up or not.

It's kinda hard for me to explain it further, since it depends on the situation. Generally, just keep the sleeping enemy out of your vision as long as possible while you sneak up on it. Packs of sleeping enemies have a higher chance of someone waking up because there's more in your sight, so you'd want to keep as few in your sight as possible and get as close as possible as quietly and quickly as possible.

Sometimes though, shit happens...like blinking into the middle of Roka's sleeping orc pack and stabbing one orc only for everyone to instantly wake up. Or shadowstepping next to a naga only to find way more nagas (and greater nagas, and sea serpents) than you thought, and having shadowstep somehow wake them all up. That's when you use a backup plan.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11656 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:55 pm »

Ye, I've been doing exactly that and just... didn't really like the whole playstyle. Stealth by itself is a wonderful defensive stat, but a pure stealth char - not for me.

So I occassionally play Elementalists and train only the elemental skill and conjurations. The supposed purpose is to make me better by forcing me to play with worse defenses. In practice I just cackle as I Tornado Orc:4 and then die at D:15.

This time I got lucky, and this happened :

edit : and of course I use my newfound powers of defense to melee an elephant herd after cleaving through Lair completely unopposed. Why, Graven, why do you do these things.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:52:47 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11657 on: February 02, 2014, 04:55:20 pm »

I feel like Enchanters are strictly better than Assassins now that needles got nerfed.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11658 on: February 02, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »

Except hexes can get really bad as enemies' magic resistance increases. Corona can help that in early game, but any early mobs with extreme magic resistance would laugh at your hexes. The only hex worth keeping in end game would be invisibility, and even that loses value against monsters w/ see invis.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11659 on: February 02, 2014, 05:34:50 pm »

Well, there's also Darkness and Tumika's Dance for the end game. Especially if you get good branded weapons.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11660 on: February 02, 2014, 06:59:05 pm »

I've never gotten an enchanter to live long enough to find a book with darkness. Sounds like it would be great for stealth characters though.

I've never tried Tukima's Dance. It seems like it would be kinda expensive, you'd have to carry the weapons around with you, taking up space and weight in inventory, and to cast it you'd have to wield each weapon separately, then cast the spell, which would take time and mana for each weapon. It sounds really interesting though. Spectral weapon would probably be an easier and faster alternative, and would require only one weapon, but you'd only have one ally to help you then.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11661 on: February 02, 2014, 07:04:42 pm »

Question: When should I drop my whip of electrocution? When I find a good flail?

Edit: Blargh, even with a ring of fire resist, sun demons are deadly. Goddamit
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:47:01 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11662 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:21 pm »

Too bad you lost your character.

My whip (it was a demon whip, so better than a simple whip) of electrocution served my gargoyle berserker very well for getting 2 runes from the Lair branches (swamp and snake pit) and even for getting the one in Vault, then as i just reached enough mace/flail/whip skill to hit the min delay for it, i switched to my more damaging antimagic eveningstar.

That put me to level roughly 22 , before i started clearing the Depths.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11663 on: February 02, 2014, 08:29:50 pm »

Lesson of the day: Lugonu retribution is awful.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11664 on: February 02, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »

banished to the abyss? :P
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11665 on: February 03, 2014, 12:41:15 am »

Doublepost to ask a question: Is having all three elemental resists on a ring worth the cost of hunger?(keeping in mind I have slow metabolism due to being gargoyle)

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11666 on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:00 am »

Doublepost to ask a question: Is having all three elemental resists on a ring worth the cost of hunger?(keeping in mind I have slow metabolism due to being gargoyle)

Yes.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11667 on: February 03, 2014, 06:47:42 am »

Best char yet, I just cleared Vaults for my third rune!

Char dump:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm thinking of trying for more than a basic clear, though I'm waiting on some source of corrosion resist before clearing Slime. At what point should I switch from Oka to TSO, and go for things like crypts and the Abyss?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11668 on: February 03, 2014, 07:43:28 am »

Yes.
Oh fuck yes. I'd take teleportitis AND hunger for that.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #11669 on: February 03, 2014, 08:06:49 am »

First trip to shoals ended in disaster. I also found a unique no one knew anything about (on the wiki/bots). Hooray! Didn't evne have a tile.

On the bright side I'm now thoroughly convinced both Deep Dwarves and Elyvion are beasts. Admittedly Ely would likely fall off into late game with less natural creatures for easy piety, but still, you can switch into zin/TSO.
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 990