Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667242 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11625 on: January 31, 2014, 07:55:27 pm »

Thought so. To reinforce the point, Okaru just gifted me a large shield with +2str and +2 int. Time to get 25 in shields!

Edit: Swamp conquered and my first ever rune collected! Should I go take on orc now, or(since I have rP and unbreathing due to being a gargoyle) can I take on the snake pit?

Edit2: ....nvm, tried to take on orc, only to get banished by a high preist into the abyss. Goddamit, that was my best run yet
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:28:42 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11626 on: January 31, 2014, 08:52:22 pm »

Finally got a relatively successful halfling assassin off the ground. I managed to survive to Temple (which was all the way on D:7, mind you) thanks to finding a buckler on d:1 and branching into slings and making judicious use of throwables, slings, and needles.

Dithmengos is a pretty cool god, I don't know what the umbra does but it seems to make me stealthier. This is really the first time I got to play with him, and I like his powers. Shadow Step was pretty useful for getting stabs on dangerous critters, and the umbra's assumed stealth bonus is nice.

This was also my first try at a hybrid character, and I like the versatility I have. Plenty of escape options with Translocation spells which also let me get closer to sleepers for stabbing, and hexes helps me get more stab opportunities. I just learned invisibility, once I get it down to castable level stabbing sleepers should be even more viable. Stabbing is fun, and my +1+6 cutlass is fantastic for stabbing. Also, I really like the tomahawks. Way more common than javelins, and more effective than hand axes or stones for throwing. Tomahawks of returning came in handy.

mostly cleared Lair. Went back and cleared Orc without too much difficulty, it was pretty fun to stab entire packs of orcs in their sleep. Got the Book of Maledictions with invis and ensorcelled hibernation for my troubles, which is sweet. I'm like an assassin enchanter warper now. currently starting Snake with almost no resistances.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11627 on: February 01, 2014, 12:05:11 am »

Umbra is pretty much the opposite of TSO's halo. Your stealth is increased (by a lot) and enemy attacks are less accurate.

I've been playing lots of troll artificers recently. The combination of Troll Claws, Troll Regen and starting with 3 wands makes it easy enough to get to Lair at the very least.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11628 on: February 01, 2014, 12:13:01 am »

Fucking Orc Priests. They need to be nerfed in the early dungeon, or just moved to Orc. Finding three of them on D:3 who all nuke you for a one turn kill as soon as you wander into their range is bullshit.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11629 on: February 01, 2014, 12:31:01 am »

The problem with a Tr artificer is that you stick a very early game race on a very early game class and then you get to the lair and you're boned.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11630 on: February 01, 2014, 03:14:49 am »

The trick of it is to convert to Nemelex at the temple, then double back up the stairs and hoover up all the armour and weapons you couldn't wear due to being a troll. You'll end up with three stars of piety and 2-3 Decks of Destruction in short order. That will carry you through the first few levels of the Lair, in which you sacrifice all those big fat yaks and other heavy beasties for Summoning weight and piety. Once you've got a legendary deck of summoning and Deal Four, there's very few situations that are absolutely unwinnable.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11631 on: February 01, 2014, 03:26:27 am »

Thought so. To reinforce the point, Okaru just gifted me a large shield with +2str and +2 int. Time to get 25 in shields!
Attribute bonuses aren't really powerful. A large shield with +2str/+2int isn't really with going from 15 to 25 in shields, usually (a large shield of reflection or resistance will be much better). The bonus defence you'll get from putting this XP in armor, dodging, or fighting will give you much more survivability ;)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11632 on: February 01, 2014, 05:58:34 am »

Welp, trying a stealthy character for once, since I've never won one, and hey! Finally a thing Kobolds are actually good at so I don't have to feel bad!

By D:3 I have Troll Leather armour, 3 scrolls of ench armour, and a Deathmangos altar.

So... how do you play these assassin thingies?

edit : Welp I poly'd an ice beast into a fire drake and nearly died trying to poly it back into something killable. Got a glowing eye and spent a good 50 turns trying to stab it in my drunken confusion, but at least I'm alive.

Haha no fuck you, paralyzed by erolcha while trying to run away and uncurse my stupid dagger.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:09:02 am by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11633 on: February 01, 2014, 11:52:03 am »

Welp, died in Snake trying to get the rune. I shadow walked into a sleeping naga warrior only to find the room with the rune to be waaaaaay more full of nagas and snakes than I thought. Of course, they all instantly woke up, despite my 20 Stealth, and umbra.

I apported the serpent rune to me, then used Teleport Control before reading a scroll of teleport. By that point I was surrounded by sea snakes, a couple naga warriors, and various naga mages and greater nagas who were zapping spells at me. In retrospect I should have used my control teleport on Blink to get me away from the mob, then recast Control Teleport and run until my tele scroll activated and let me tele to stairs. Instead I cast regeneration and cause fear and prayed that tele would trigger before my health hit zero.

Spoiler: Spoiler Alert (click to show/hide)

I'm kinda dissapointed. I went to a lot of trouble to pick off Roka's orc pack over a really long course of turns after I found them sleeping, and attempted to stab them all after shadowwalking to them...only for shadowwalk to wake them all up. After that I retreated for a while and killed some more Dungeon, then came back and slowly sniped them one by one.

Oh well, I learned a bunch this run, and hopefully now I'll be more cautious and think my actions through. I had to do that a bunch this run.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11634 on: February 01, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »

Made it all the way to Elf:1, for once. Cleared the Lair, got several Oka gifts with a MiGl-Staff user, found a crystal plate...

and died to being careless while fighting while poisoned. ;_; YASD.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11635 on: February 01, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »

Ok peoples, I need your advice.

Here's my latest stabby dude. This is possibly the furthest I've gotten with a pure stealth/stabbing dude, and I'm sort of unsure of what to do. Considering going for evocations, since evocables are always great, but I've yet to find anything except a rod of inaccuracy.

Code: [Select]
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14-a0-2328-g18f63ac (tiles) character file.

Gravenous the Spry (Kobold Assassin)               Turns: 11423, Time: 00:26:37

HP  62/62        AC  9     Str 11      XL: 12   Next: 24%
MP  12/12        EV 29     Int 11      God: Dithmengos [****..]
Gold 543         SH  0     Dex 21      Spells:  0 memorised, 11 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis .     o - +3,+4 dwarf dagger (elec)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     f - +3 leather armour {rF+}
rNeg   . . .     Conserve .     (no shield)
rPois  +         rCorr    +     (no helmet)
rElec  .         rRot     .     d - +0 cloak
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     (no gloves)
rMut   .         Warding  .     (no boots)
Saprov + + .     Stasis   .     F - amulet of resist corrosion
MR     .....                    (no ring)
                                r - cursed +2 ring of protection

@: very slightly contaminated, wreathed by umbra, not resistant to hostile
enchantments, uncannily stealthy
A: disease resistance, talons 1, carnivore 3, clever 1, poison resistance,
saprovore 2
a: Shadow Step, Renounce Religion

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Dithmengos.
Dithmengos is greatly pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and seen 11 of its levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth, Sewer and Ossuary.

You have collected 543 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 b - a +0 blowgun
 o - a +3,+4 dwarven dagger of electrocution (weapon)
 B - a +0,+2 whip of venom
Missiles
 e - 53 poisoned needles
 x - a curare-tipped needle
 M - 4 needles of sleeping
Armour
 d - a +0 cloak (worn)
 f - a +3 leather armour of fire resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 E - a wand of frost {zapped: 1}
 G - a wand of flame {zapped: 1}
 H - a wand of frost {recharged}
 P - a wand of lightning {zapped: 2}
 T - a wand of digging {zapped: 1}
Comestibles
 g - 5 meat rations
 z - 5 beef jerkies
Scrolls
 c - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 k - 2 scrolls of random uselessness
 t - a scroll of identify
 y - 2 scrolls of amnesia
 N - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 Z - a scroll of fog
Jewellery
 r - a cursed +2 ring of protection (left hand)
 F - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
 S - an uncursed amulet of rage
Potions
 m - 12 potions of curing
 n - a potion of resistance
 v - a potion of agility
 I - a potion of might
 J - a potion of restore abilities
 X - a potion of heal wounds
Rods
 V - a +0 rod of inaccuracy (8/14)
   (You found it in a labyrinth)

Skills:
 - Level 2,1 Fighting
 - Level 10,1 Short Blades
 - Level 2,6 Throwing
 * Level 15,9 Dodging
 + Level 14,4 Stealth

You have 11 spell levels left.
You don't know any spells.

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (10/16)            Temple (0/1) D:7            Lair (1/8) D:10
   Orc: D:9-12     

Altars:
Cheibriados
Dithmengos
Nemelex Xobeh
Trog
Xom

Shops:
D:8 }

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You recuperate from illness quickly.
You are small and have problems with some larger weapons.
You are carnivorous and can eat meat at any time.
You can eat rotten meat.
You have sharp toenails.
Your mind is acute. (Int +2)
Your system is resistant to poisons.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11636 on: February 01, 2014, 08:31:29 pm »

Every stealthy character I won with had spells, even my assassin, so I my advice is limited. For a spell-less stabber I'd probably use needles of sleep and paralysis with high throwing skill.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11637 on: February 01, 2014, 10:05:47 pm »

Ok peoples, I need your advice.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11638 on: February 01, 2014, 10:08:03 pm »

Welp, I know the game is about to rape me. On D:4, it gave me a randart PLATE ARMOR with +11 AC, and +3 str!

Edit:...Maybe not. Okawaru just gifted me a rantdart +8,+3 great mace with crush, +rN, and see invis. Welp, guess I'm not using shields anymore :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:18:35 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11639 on: February 02, 2014, 01:17:01 am »

Okay, well I suck at this game in general(don't think I've made it past level 7-8ish, even with Orc Fighter which aparently is babby mode). But I have a question concerning Necromancers, is there a way to skellies to follow you floor to floor? I assume not, since they're standing right next to me and not moving.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 990