Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1667183 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #11520 on: January 18, 2014, 08:32:26 am »

Hey you two,

(wow, long post incoming :D )

I get the new races, lava orcs have a temperature mechanics, ant people have the handedness gimmick, gargoyles... as far as I can tell are just sorta tanky tengu, djinn have essence instead of normal HP/MP, etcetc
- Lava orcs : really like the Hill Orcs but less gifted with ranged weapons (a just a little less with axes, even if they're their favorites), with the temperature helpign a little gameplay change. Temperature increases with the number of ennemies on the screen (with "tension"), you have bonus AC at low temp, and more and more rF with high temperature, along with a fire magic enhancer (as if you had a ring of Fire) and some damage aura (never affect allies). Beware, though because even if at max temeprature they deal more damage around themselves, the fire also prevents them from reading scrolls, so you can't read a scroll of Blink to get away from a erally dangerous situation if you don't do it before it's too late.
 - Formicids (ant People) are realyl fun and weird to play : They can wield any weapons, and even a shield with a 2-hands weapons (except for Giant Clubs) and throw large rocks like the Ogres and Trolls, without any armor penalty, but they have a 20% HP penalty compensating this. They also have a intrinsic Stasis : it prevent them from getting slowed, paralized, or TPed by hostile monsters (and quaffed potions), but also prevents them to haste, blink or TP themselves. This means they rely much more on their god's abilities and on their own : they can dig as if they had a infinite wand of digging (powered by hunger), and can Shaft themslves. this second ability can put you in more trouble than expected, as it takes time to cast and will get you down 1 to 3 levels in the dungeon, potentially in more danger than before.
 - Gargoyles are an "easy" race, especially for beginners and 3-runes games : they have a really high AC bonus and some resistances. They have aptitudes making them good for classic fighters and for skald types using their bonus AC to compensate for a medium armor and still get to cast spells with their earth and conjuration skills.
 - Djinn are some weird thing and I am not used to them... I was told they make good Fire elementalists for players who know how to evaluate the challenges, as they consume their HP for spells but have really good aptitudes for Fire, Air, and Hexe, and generally spellcasting.

So I slapped together a MfGl, went DithBongos since I found an altar on D:2, and just got to the Lair in time to find a +6/+9 Randart Trident of Speed, which should keep me from falling apart for a while.

Not really sure on MongoBongos, the Umbra is nice, I have a shadowstep which I haven't been able to use yet, and apparently I bleed smoke, which actually saved my life. I ran into Erolcha, who nearly instagibbed me with a bolt of lightning, but I was able to fart enough gas to conceal me while I tele'd away. Of course he won't ever be a good god for my build, but I want to see all the new things, and MfGl with some charms should be enough for 4-5 runes anyway. He really does have a stupid name, though.
Dithmengos the Shadowed is the only new god since Ash, and only in trunk for now (and still changed quite often).
He is a good of shadows, improving your stealth (nearly doubled) and Evasion, and giving you passive and active abilities that should help you stay alive when monsters are aware that you're near.
I think he should be nice for a Merfolk as you often don't want to wear a heavy armor and thus benefit more from the stealth bonus than any other Gladiator.
The smoke bleeding activates when you take high damage (the chance increasing with piety), so you can flee a hard hitter more easily (as you did), and you also get a shadow Mimic that increases the damage you deal by roughly 50% from time to time (up to 50% of the time at full piety).
There is also the ultimate ability, the Sahdow Form, that is pretty weird : It lets you take only 50% damage along with providing you many resistances, but also halves your damage output by roughly 50%. It's a escape skill that you should not activate when you're alreay too low on HP (because if you're at 30HP, any high level spell will kill you, even with its damage halved), but hen the situation becomes critical in term of enemies present.
Dithmengos can be good with many characters (as long as they're not so armored taht they nullify the stealth bonus), even if he may not be the best for a stealth assassin, as some of his abilities will be realyl overkill (you don't need to double your stealth if you alreayd don't wake ennemies up when running to then).

Heard the dungeon's been restructured a bit, can't wait to see how that goes. Hopefully this dude survives long enough.
ah, that.
The "Dungeon" part has been reduced to 16 levels instead of 27 because the last ones were just boring (the last 15 nearly had the same monsters spawning over and over), and replaced by the "Depths", which have really harder ennemies (Fire and Ive Giants, Hell Knights, and Ogre and Troll Bands, mainly). The depths are only 6 levels deep but yield the same XP value as the previous 11 dungeon levels, so you can understand why it is harder :)
You now need to have a rune to unlock the Vaults (it's not consumed and still counts to unlock Zot), so you'll have to get it from the Lair or the Abyss, most likely.
by the way, the Abyss was transformed a bit recently, making it 5 levels deep. With depth, you increase the danger (more monster and more dangerous ones are generated), the loot, and the chances to generate both mini-vaults and an exit. By the way, you can't find the Abyssal rune in the first 2 levels, it's easier to find in the deeper levels (even if I haven't found anyone recomending going to Abyss:5, as it is more dangerous than Hell or Crypt).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: January 18, 2014, 09:00:31 am »

I think Dith is actually kindof insane for stabbers.  With my current SpEn I have somewhere in the region of 1000 stealth, and combined with shadowstep that means almost nothing ever wakes up.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:45 am »

Yes, but as a Spriggan, you actually don't need Dith for 90% of your enemies not to wake up, even acting the same, and could benefit from other gods' abilities, like Ash's passive knowledge of monster positions, of Nemelex's flexibility, etc ...
I feel like using Dith with a staber would be like using a fire-only Vehumet with a fire elementalist : it enhances you even beyond what is needed against monsters that are not specifically resistant to you, but doesn't give much for monsters that you natively can't do much against.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: January 18, 2014, 04:21:14 pm »

Thanks for the awesome effort-post Tompliss, pretty detailed information in there :)

This "Depths" thingie is honestly kind of scary  :( Fortunately I lucked into even more decent equip, though I wasted like 5 scrolls of acquirement or so. The absolute nadir was acquiring armour and getting a normal animal skin. Okawaru I know you're there leave me alone I'm not even worshipping you stop throwing your trash at me.

Cleared the Shoals and Spider, went through Elf, cleared all the way down to Zot, Vaults to 4. Guess I'll go do Vaults:5,  check out His Royal Jellyness and possibly the Abyss and be done with it.

Oh yeah, I have several enchant armour scrolls and all the dragon hides. Was considering FDA for Zot, since, you know. Orbs and stuff. But I sort of like my current armour, and I could get a PDA from Vaults:5 or Slime? I could also dump Dingobongos and go TSO -> Bless my demon trident -> THE GOD-EMPEROR OF MANKIND ZIN -> PURGE THE HEATHENS but I don't know if I have the patience for extended.

Here's mah boy himself :

Code: [Select]
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14-a0-2002-g23d0e90 (tiles) character file.

Gravenous the Slayer (Merfolk Gladiator)           Turns: 74461, Time: 02:42:34

HP 208/208       AC 23     Str 23      XL: 24   Next: 41%
MP  29/29        EV 24     Int 14      God: Dithmengos [******]
Gold 1810        SH 30     Dex 17      Spells:  5 memorised, 13 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     y - +7,+6 demon trident (pierce)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     k - +7 scale mail of Jauckej {Str+3 Int+4}
rNeg   + . .     Conserve +     u - +0 shield (curse)
rPois  .         rCorr    +     Q - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Acc+3 Dam+3 SInv}
rElec  .         rRot     .     O - +0 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     b - +0 pair of gloves {Str+3}
rMut   .         Warding  +     F - +0 pair of boots (curse)
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     h - macabre finger necklace {Ward}
MR     ++...                    V - cursed ring of protection from cold
                                H - +6,+6 ring of slaying
                                R - ring of protection from fire

@: wreathed by umbra, very resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: change form in water, swift swim, molten scales 1, blurry vision 1, clumsy 1,
cold resistance 1, dopey 1
a: Shadow Step, Shadow Form, Renounce Religion
}: 2/15 runes: barnacled, gossamer

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Dithmengos.
Dithmengos is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 8 branches of the dungeon, and seen 51 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 1 time.
You have visited 3 bazaars.

You have collected 5916 gold pieces.
You have spent 4106 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 y - a +7,+6 demon trident of piercing (weapon)
 E - the +6,+9 trident of the Girdle {speed, rC+}
   (You found it on level 9 of the Dungeon)   

Attacks with this weapon are significantly faster, but cause slightly less
   damage.

It protects you from cold.
Armour
 b - a +0 pair of gloves of strength (worn)
 c - a fire dragon hide {Xtahua}
 k - the +7 scale mail of Jauckej (worn) {Str+3 Int+4}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Vaults)   

It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your intelligence (+4).
 u - a cursed +0 shield (worn)
 D - the +2 helmet of Perpetual Drought {Int+1 Dam+4}
   (You acquired it on level 7 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your intelligence (+1).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+4).
 F - a cursed +0 pair of boots (worn)
 K - the cursed +2 hat of the Bear Spirit {Spirit, +Rage rN+ MR+}
   (You bought it in a shop in a bazaar)   

It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It lets you go berserk.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
 O - a +0 cloak of preservation (worn)
 Q - the +0 mask of the Dragon (worn) {MR+ Acc+3 Dam+3 SInv}

It affects your accuracy (+3).
   It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+3).
   It enhances your eyesight.
Magical devices
 f - a wand of teleportation
 L - a wand of disintegration
 P - a wand of invisibility
 S - a wand of frost
 U - a wand of cold
 W - a wand of hasting (5)
 X - a wand of teleportation (3)
 Z - a wand of cold
Comestibles
 g - 4 pieces of ambrosia
 r - 3 bread rations
 x - 9 meat rations
Scrolls
 o - 7 scrolls of remove curse
 p - 2 scrolls of fear
 s - a scroll of fog
 v - a scroll of identify
 z - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 I - 4 scrolls of amnesia
 M - a scroll of blinking
Jewellery
 h - the macabre finger necklace (around neck) {Ward}
   (You took it off a deep elf fighter on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

[amulet of warding]
 j - an uncursed amulet of the gourmand
 l - an uncursed ring of teleportation
 q - an uncursed ring of regeneration
 t - an uncursed amulet of conservation
 w - an uncursed ring of sustain abilities
 A - a cursed amulet of resist corrosion
 G - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 H - a +6,+6 ring of slaying (left hand)
 J - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
 R - a ring of protection from fire (on amulet)
 V - a cursed ring of protection from cold (right hand)
Potions
 d - a potion of might
 e - 11 potions of curing
 m - a potion of restore abilities
 B - 2 potions of brilliance
 C - 2 potions of invisibility
 T - 2 potions of speed
Rods
 n - a +5 rod of warding (9/9)

Skills:
 - Level 21,4 Fighting
 - Level 14,5 Polearms
 - Level 2,0 Throwing
 * Level 16,4 Armour
 - Level 21,4 Dodging
 - Level 5,2 Stealth
 - Level 16,0 Shields
 - Level 3,0 Spellcasting
 + Level 17,6 Charms

You have 13 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ####......   1%          2    ##.....
b - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ####....     1%          2    ##.....
c - Haste                 Chrm           ######..     3%          6    #######
d - Spectral Weapon       Hex/Chrm       ####....     2%          3    ###....
e - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ####......   2%          3    ###....

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (16/16)            Temple (0/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:12
    Elf (3/3) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:9          Shoals (5/5) Lair:6
 Spider (5/5) Lair:6        Slime (0/6) Lair:8       Vaults (4/5) D:14
  Blade (0/1) Vaults:4        Zot (0/5) Depths:6     Forest (0/5) Vaults:2
 Depths (6/6) D:16       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Dithmengos
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Yredelemnul
Jiyva

Shops:
D:4 (   Orc:4 ([*   Vaults:2 (   Depths:6 *

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:3 Depths:4 Depths:5 Depths:6
Abyss: Depths:1 Depths:4 Depths:6
Pandemonium: Depths:1 Depths:3
Ziggurat: Depths:4

Annotations:
D:16 exclusions: hellion and 1 more exclusion
Lair:2 exclusion: ice statue
Lair:5 Nergalle
Shoals:3 exclusion: oklob plant, Nikola
Shoals:4 Jorgrun
Depths:2 1 exclusion

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You revert to your normal form in water.
You are very nimble and swift while swimming.
You are partially covered in molten scales (AC +1).
Your vision is a little blurry.
You are clumsy. (Dex -2)
Your flesh is cold resistant.
You are dopey. (Int -2)

Message History

HP restored.
There is an open door here.
There is a large open door here.
Things that are here:
a wand of slowing {zapped: 1}; a wand of paralysis {zapped: 2}
There is a stone staircase leading up here.
You climb upwards.
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
You see here a dart.
You see here 14 stones.
You see here a quarterstaff.
There is a staircase to the Lair here.
You climb downwards. Welcome to the Lair of Beasts!
There is a staircase back to the Dungeon here.
Items here: ????????
You drop a scroll of enchant armour.
Char dumped to 'morgue/Gravenous.txt'.
Save game and exit?

Worth noting this is my first ever character on this version, and since the tourney. I'm sort of proud I've gotten so far.

edit : Whoa just noticed this Charms stuff has gone pretty high, need to stop training that. I probably don't have enough XP left  to reasonably get 25 Shields, do I. I just love Large Shields... sigh.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:26:47 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: January 18, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »

+0 shield of nothing ?
You should be able to get at least a buckler an Ego, from Elf, and checking with the Find command may tell you about some runed shield you missed...
Other than that, I would say that I usually don't go for a dragon armor if I can't get a good amout of the opposite resistance : a simple rC+ will halve the ice damage you take. and with draconians and dragons, it's clearly useful to have at least 1 pip of each resistance (even if yeah, rF is more improtant).
By the way, I think that your EV is REALLY low, for a merfolk about to have to dodge some Lich's spears... (oh you got rpl missiles... well that may be enough, then ...)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: January 18, 2014, 05:46:51 pm »

Other than GDA every dragon armour is better than its equivalent metal armour.  Unless you get a good artifact/CPM it's generally better to use them.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: January 18, 2014, 06:33:57 pm »

Other than GDA every dragon armour is better than its equivalent metal armour.  Unless you get a good artifact/CPM it's generally better to use them.

Other than GDA? Is gold dragon armour not as good as I heard it was?
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: January 18, 2014, 08:59:54 pm »

For a while it had way too high an EV penalty to be worth using, but it seems to have been buffed recently.  It seems to be fine now.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: January 19, 2014, 10:27:10 am »

So I just got into a ...pickle. Having only the Abyss and Zot left, I decided to go clear up Zot.

For the first 4 floors, things were going really well, no hickups at all.

Then on Zot:5 I run into my first Orb of Fire. "Hey", I think "I should put on my amulet of Resist Mutation so I don't get mutated to high heaven!".

Two turns later I have 50 hp left from about 210. Because in the mess of things I forgot that my amulet was the Macabre Finger, and my single pip of rF+ was on the ring that was hanging off the amulet.

Two quick blinks later I'm still in full view of the orb of fire, with like 15 hp left.

I have no idea how I lived through that. My Spectral Weapon ended up behind the Orb, and confused it for a turn, but I was meleeing it with the absolute knowledge this was the final thing I was doing on this character. Somehow, I lived, then grabbed all my stuff and went to get the Abyssal rune [which was in a Beehive minivault, first I've seen there].

That was nearly heart-attack-inducing.

Edit : Yeah, no, peace out fuckers I'm taking my ball and going home.

Code: [Select]
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14-a0-2002-g23d0e90 (tiles) character file.

2546332 Gravenous the Acrobat (level 27, 171/211 HPs)
             Began as a Merfolk Gladiator on Jan 18, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Dithmengos.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Jan 19, 2014!

The game lasted 03:43:15 (98991 turns).

Gravenous the Acrobat (Merfolk Gladiator)          Turns: 98991, Time: 03:43:15

HP 171/211       AC 34     Str 20      XL: 27
MP  44/44        EV 22     Int 10 (11) God: Dithmengos [******]
Gold 3976        SH 29     Dex 15      Spells:  5 memorised, 43 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     y - +7,+9 demon trident (pierce)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     u - +13 chain mail "Chyu" {Int+1 Dam+3}
rNeg   + . .     Conserve +     q - +0 shield
rPois  .         rCorr    +     Q - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Acc+3 Dam+3 SInv}
rElec  .         rRot     .     O - -1 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     r - +0 pair of gloves {Str+3}
rMut   .         Warding  +     c - +0 pair of boots {Fly}
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     h - macabre finger necklace {Ward}
MR     +++..                    N - ring of protection from fire
                                R - ring of protection from fire
                                H - +6,+6 ring of slaying

@: flying, wreathed by umbra, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: change form in water, swift swim, molten scales 1, blurry vision 1, clumsy 2,
cold resistance 1, deterioration 1, dopey 2, herbivore 1, frail 1
a: Shadow Step, Shadow Form, Renounce Religion, Stop Flying
0: Orb of Zot
}: 5/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, abyssal, gossamer

You escaped.
You worshipped Dithmengos.
Dithmengos was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 10 branches of the dungeon, and saw 63 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 2 times.
You visited 3 bazaars.

You collected 8082 gold pieces.
You spent 4106 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 y - a +7,+9 demon trident of piercing (weapon)
Missiles
 T - 2 throwing nets (quivered)
Armour
 c - a +0 pair of boots of flying (worn)
 q - a +0 shield (worn)
 r - a +0 pair of gloves of strength (worn)
 u - the +13 chain mail "Chyu" (worn) {Int+1 Dam+3}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Pits of Slime)   

It affects your intelligence (+1).
 O - a -1 cloak of preservation (worn)
 Q - the +0 mask of the Dragon (worn) {MR+ Acc+3 Dam+3 SInv}

It affects your accuracy (+3).
   It enhances your eyesight.
 S - the +0 helmet of Iddo {rElec rN+}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Abyss)   

It insulates you from electricity.
   It protects you from negative energy.
Magical devices
 a - a wand of digging (7)
 f - a wand of teleportation (6)
 F - a wand of magic darts (14)
 L - a wand of disintegration (6)
 P - a wand of invisibility (4)
 U - a wand of slowing (13)
 W - a wand of hasting (5)
 X - a wand of teleportation (3)
 Z - a wand of cold (12)
Comestibles
 g - 4 pieces of ambrosia
 i - 2 apricots
 k - 2 slices of pizza
 x - 4 meat rations
 A - a pear
 D - 3 honeycombs
 V - an orange
Scrolls
 d - 2 scrolls of fear
 o - 7 scrolls of remove curse
 v - 2 scrolls of identify
 z - 5 scrolls of teleportation
 E - a scroll of summoning
 I - 5 scrolls of amnesia
Jewellery
 h - the macabre finger necklace (around neck) {Ward}

[amulet of warding]
 j - an uncursed amulet of the gourmand
 l - an uncursed ring of teleportation
 p - the ring of Stramali {rPois rC+ Str+2}
   (You took it off a frost giant on level 5 of the Vaults)   

[ring of poison resistance]
   It affects your strength (+2).
   It protects you from cold.
 t - an uncursed amulet of conservation
 G - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 H - a +6,+6 ring of slaying (on amulet)
 J - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
 M - the ring of the Ladybird {rN+ Stlth+}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Pits of Slime)   

[ring of positive energy]
   It makes you much more stealthy.
 N - a ring of protection from fire (right hand)
 R - a ring of protection from fire (left hand)
Potions
 e - 3 potions of curing
 m - 2 potions of restore abilities
 s - 3 potions of resistance
 B - 2 potions of brilliance
 C - 2 potions of invisibility
 K - a potion of speed
Rods
 n - a +5 rod of warding (9/9)

Skills:
 - Level 23,1 Fighting
 - Level 14,5 Polearms
 - Level 2,0 Throwing
 - Level 20,1 Armour
 - Level 26,1 Dodging
 - Level 5,2 Stealth
 - Level 16,0 Shields
 * Level 16,7 Spellcasting
 - Level 19,0 Charms

You had 43 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ####......   1%          2    None
b - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ####....     1%          2    None
c - Haste                 Chrm           #####...     1%          6    ######.
d - Spectral Weapon       Hex/Chrm       ####....     1%          3    None
e - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ####......   1%          3    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (16/16)            Temple (0/1) D:5             Orc (4/4) D:12
    Elf (3/3) Orc:3          Lair (8/8) D:9          Shoals (5/5) Lair:6
 Spider (5/5) Lair:6        Slime (6/6) Lair:8       Vaults (5/5) D:14
  Blade (0/1) Vaults:4        Zot (5/5) Depths:6     Forest (0/5) Vaults:2
 Depths (6/6) D:16       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Dithmengos
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Yredelemnul
Jiyva

Shops:
D:4 (   Orc:4 ([*   Vaults:2 (   Depths:6 *

Portals:
Hell: Depths:1 Depths:2 Depths:3 Depths:4 Depths:5 Depths:6
Abyss: Depths:1 Depths:4 Depths:6
Pandemonium: Depths:1 Depths:3
Ziggurat: Depths:4

Annotations:
D:16 exclusions: hellion and 1 more exclusion
Lair:2 exclusion: ice statue
Lair:5 Nergalle
Shoals:3 exclusion: oklob plant, Nikola
Shoals:4 Jorgrun
Depths:2 1 exclusion

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You revert to your normal form in water.
You are very nimble and swift while swimming.
You are partially covered in molten scales (AC +1).
Your vision is a little blurry.
You are very clumsy. (Dex -4)
Your flesh is cold resistant.
Your body is slowly deteriorating.
You are very dopey. (Int -4)
You digest meat inefficiently.
You are frail (-10% HP).

Message History

The blizzard demon is severely wounded.
You block the blizzard demon's attack. The blizzard demon hits you.
You hit the blizzard demon.
The blizzard demon is severely wounded.
Your shadow attacks!
Your shadow barely misses the blizzard demon.
The blizzard demon gestures at you.
The bolt of lightning misses you.
You puncture the blizzard demon!
The blizzard demon is almost dead.
You puncture the blizzard demon!
You kill the blizzard demon!
Dithmengos accepts your kill.
No target in view!
Magic restored.
Your skin stops crawling.
You start resting.
A Shadow Fiend comes into view.
There is a staircase leading out of the dungeon here.
You have escaped!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:34:25 am by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: January 24, 2014, 04:55:47 pm »

Well I don't have anywhere else to post about DCSS so I'll just have to post here  >:(

You know what's really hard to get going? KoTm. It's a greyed out start, and for a good reason.

I'm on my best one yet. Xlvl 8, almost got Blade Hands going. Cleared up a Sewers which is my absolute best achievement on this thing. Can't help it though - I love kobolds. In all games. If I get the friendly kobolds on my DF map, the first thing I ever do is wall them up so the big bad world doesn't hurt the poor things  :(

My strategy has been gunning straight for Transmutations, to get Spider Form online [since it would seem to be my best bet at surviving the early game]. When I get Blade Hands semi-reliable I'll switch to some Dodging, then get some Unarmed going. Spider form should be able to keep me alive until lair [or until hubris, whichever comes first], then... not really sure. Never played a transmuter, and Kobold certainly doesn't appear to be the strongest possible race for one.

edit : Whoops confused and murdered by a orc mage. Oh Crawl.

edit : OHMIGOSH LAIR IM IN THE LAIR YOU GUYS

edit : And Okawaru's first gift - a +10/+9 Bastard Sword of Speed, rElec, MR++

FUCK YOU OKAWARU
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:46:18 pm by Graven »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: January 24, 2014, 07:15:33 pm »

Never played a transmuter, and Kobold certainly doesn't appear to be the strongest possible race for one.
Yeap, clearly that.
The only transmuter I personally did good with were Merfolks. They've got good apt for that (really high dodging and Transmut), and are not bad globally.

As far as playing them, I would recommend you to keep a good focus on the Unarmed skill since the begining, with just a bid in transmutations and dodging to help you keep your spells castable and your defences high enough.
You need to remember that Transmutaters aren't spellcaster but mainly fighter without weapons nor armor but the occasionnal transmutation to help them. You don't really need Spellcasting (because you shouldn't cast many spells at each battle, and can easily not use them for easy battles).
As far as transmutations go, I was told to get enough skill to be able to cast with a 20% fail rate those you want to use (helping your Tm skill with a bit of Ice and Poison). And those usually are Spider form pretty quickly, and blade hands for the medium-hard encounters by Lair.
About Lair, use your wands on the hydras. Blade hands (your main attack form for threats that big) won't help you against them and spider form has too low AC to do anything. Even if Ice form should help you tank them a bit (well 2 rounds maybe 3), remember that they're not fast so you can simply walk away to stairs when the situation is too risky.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: January 24, 2014, 07:56:49 pm »

Why are you going with Kobold?  It has poor HP and not very good transmuter apts.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:59 pm »

I like Kobolds ._.

Also I'm not, at least anymore. Tried a few [tens of] HEGls, but High Elf melee starts are horrible and I do not know how to keep them alive until the first god gift. What I want is to cast tornado, then run in with a huge two-hander and slap dudes, but I can't even get HEGls to the two-hander part.

I guess I could go berserker and dump trog at some point, while still pumping int and stockpiling blink scrolls and books, but that's kind of meh. Also Trog wrath is horrible and I'm not sure I want to chance it.

Of course I could start an air elementalist, but screw those guys.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: January 24, 2014, 09:14:32 pm »

On the topic of Transmuters, I'm partial to Felids of Nemelex. Sacrifice a bunch of permafood right away for a deck of wonders, draw until I get XP, dump it all into Transmutations to get Blade Hands online early and become ten pounds of crazy in a five pound fursuit. I've only gotten to Lair a handful of times with the build, but it's great fun when Orc Wizards aren't blowing you up.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: January 25, 2014, 01:01:00 am »

FeTm of Nemelex sounds like good combo, but just a word of caution that blind drawing from deck of wonders can be very dangerous. Sometimes they don't even contain XP card too. Better to focus on destruction and summonings decks so you can actually kill stuff. If you get deck of wonders, use triple draw and stack five to hopefully avoid shuffle and wild magic.
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 990