Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2186 2187 [2188] 2189 2190 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3081832 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32805 on: October 27, 2023, 08:16:09 am »

Honestly know that feel. I remember reading the one where guy got turned into a tree and it was just 60 chapters of "tree gains new power but faces new foe who forces him to develop new power but suddenly an even bigger foe appears." Still ended up reading all of the chapters. It's like the LN equivalent of having 4,000 hours in a game and leaving a review "I hate this game"
Wait, which one? I'm aware of, like... three or four that roughly fits that description. Demonic tree's been popular over on royal road lately, but there's others in that ecosystem and I think at least another two or three in the LN one, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32806 on: October 27, 2023, 08:30:15 am »

Wait, which one? I'm aware of, like... three or four that roughly fits that description. Demonic tree's been popular over on royal road lately, but there's others in that ecosystem and I think at least another two or three in the LN one, too.
There's more than one treesekai? Honestly I had no idea they were branching out -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32807 on: October 27, 2023, 09:19:56 am »

There's several at this point, ha. I've seen at least two, and I think more, hit >100 pages on RR, and I'm about as close to certain as I can get without actually checking there's at least two more in the LN/WN ecosystem.

Alderly enough, it's one of the more common "reincarnated as something non-humanoid" scenarios around.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32808 on: October 27, 2023, 10:21:51 am »

There's several at this point, ha. I've seen at least two, and I think more, hit >100 pages on RR, and I'm about as close to certain as I can get without actually checking there's at least two more in the LN/WN ecosystem.

Alderly enough, it's one of the more common "reincarnated as something non-humanoid" scenarios around.
I suppose it is logical for it to gain traction. Trees are big and old, and have that kind of symbolism/importance that Stags, Lions and Dragons capture in fantasy. Maybe there's room for a "that time I was isekai'd as stinging nettles" or "that time I was isekai'd as dandelions." I'd be surprised if there wasn't already isekai'd as a mushroom mycelium god

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32809 on: October 27, 2023, 10:44:16 am »

There's at least a couple of "reincarnated as a flower" ones over on RR, checking, though I'm less sure about anything particularly lengthy. There's also more than one reincarnated as a mushroom and/or myconid out there (have a 1.2k page one). Could swear there's at least one that's actually heavy on the mushroom aspect, rather than leaning into the myconid route, too.

So, like. Yes. We live in a world where roomba and vending machine and fork (and spoon, iirc) isekai exists, relatively mundane things like flowers and mushrooms are a given, heh.

... quick check didn't turn up anything for stinging nettles, though. There's an untapped niche if anyone wants to have a go at it :V
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 10:45:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32810 on: October 27, 2023, 02:17:34 pm »

There's at least a couple of "reincarnated as a flower" ones over on RR, checking, though I'm less sure about anything particularly lengthy. There's also more than one reincarnated as a mushroom and/or myconid out there (have a 1.2k page one). Could swear there's at least one that's actually heavy on the mushroom aspect, rather than leaning into the myconid route, too.
That is a pretty cute mushroom cover. Though I read in the reviews they drop the mushroom conceit pretty early. I never get the ones like "reincarnated as a slime" where they stop being a slime pretty quickly. At least the spider one spends most their time as a spider before they start getting humanoid characteristics

So, like. Yes. We live in a world where roomba and vending machine and fork (and spoon, iirc) isekai exists, relatively mundane things like flowers and mushrooms are a given, heh.

... quick check didn't turn up anything for stinging nettles, though. There's an untapped niche if anyone wants to have a go at it :V
I wonder just how obscene you can get before your isekai story is just utterly unsalvageable. That time I was reincarnated as fiat currency. That time I was reincarnated as a windmill quernstone. I used to be a neet until I was reincarnated as my crush's printer ink replacement cartridge. I could definitely dig a stinging nettle one where instead of becoming some OP flower thing that just cultivates a billion OP magic skills, it is just the story of some guy who becomes a bough of stinging nettles and just cultivates all its seething rage at being a plant into vengefully stinging whoever walks over it. Eventually you do reach a point though where you must look in the mirror and ask "why am I doing this to myself?"

Which is of course the title of my next big hit. Reincarnated as my own reflection

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32811 on: October 27, 2023, 02:26:23 pm »

I wonder just how obscene you can get before your isekai story is just utterly unsalvageable.
I honestly don't think that point actually exists. Good enough writer can do something at least middlingly decent even from the most degenerate of starting prompts.

There's totes some slime ones where they don't drop the slime bit quickly, or even at all, though. Tensura's pretty famous for jumping the sharkslime ASAP, but there's like... well over a dozen slime MC stories out there these days, and some of them just stick to being a slime.

... dropping the gimmick pretty early happens a lot mostly due to a combination of it being easier to write humans, and it being an easy way to sidestep dysmorphia issues and whatnot. It's usually being kinda' lazy, basically, but hell, I ain't gon' blame someone for being a lazy writer if they're just doing it for fun, yeah? I get why folks do it, even though it's usually pretty disappointing, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32812 on: October 27, 2023, 04:42:15 pm »

I think I'm pissed off at all isekai for existing when Grimgar just got unceremoniously dropped.

INJECT THAT GORGEOUS PAINTERLY LOOKING CRACK INTO MY EYES MOAR PLZ!

Also there is of course the other isekai direction: Overlord and Goblin Is Too Strong.

Also, Reincarnated As My Own Reflection sounds kinda awesome, like a reverse Jojo or that one series with the vaguely horror themed reincarnation/stand type abilities that I thought was called something like Aiki but that's the jujitsu perv master one.
This is not a signature.

Maximum™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL_SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32813 on: November 01, 2023, 11:56:34 pm »

Ajin!
This is not a signature.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32814 on: November 02, 2023, 03:46:35 pm »

Toei Animation released the entire Digimon Adventure 02 series on Youtube to promote the reboot movie. As far as I can tell, they did not release the first series.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32815 on: November 03, 2023, 09:27:07 am »

There's totes some slime ones where they don't drop the slime bit quickly, or even at all, though. Tensura's pretty famous for jumping the sharkslime ASAP, but there's like... well over a dozen slime MC stories out there these days, and some of them just stick to being a slime.

... dropping the gimmick pretty early happens a lot mostly due to a combination of it being easier to write humans, and it being an easy way to sidestep dysmorphia issues and whatnot. It's usually being kinda' lazy, basically, but hell, I ain't gon' blame someone for being a lazy writer if they're just doing it for fun, yeah? I get why folks do it, even though it's usually pretty disappointing, heh.
Yeah I don't blame them. It's a lot easier to savage and criticise something than it is to create, and if a writer isn't having fun writing then there's not much point. It just seems a bit self-defeating how many isekai stories basically just have a two sentence mention of "oh yeah I was from Japan now I'm not" and then never bring it up again, or jump the slimeshark and abandon their core premise to tell another story entirely almost immediately. Or worse still - when the actual story is AMAZING and then they just kill it to basically make another Harry Potter goes to Hogwarts/Adventurer's Guild story.

She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man and The Reincarnation of the Strongest Exorcist in Another World both kill me for delivering an absolutely killer premise in their backstory and then pulling the rug out from under my feet to deliver standard isekai. Not boring shows or bad shows by any measure, it's just a pity for them to show they are capable of telling an awesome story about an elder merlin sage founding a kingdom or a freaking dragon rider terrorising the spirit world before being betrayed by his own government and protege... And then deliver a moeblob adventure guild ranking up story or Harry Potter goes to magic school (even though they are already an apex spellcaster?). It's a bit like making a movie where Oppenheimer gets isekai'd into primary school and spends hours detailing Oppenheimer's struggles to build a nuclear bomb whilst trying to not stand out by deliberately failing elementary mathematics or navigating the school politics of Susie, Sally and Billy

It's seriously good advice I heard from a writer once; if you look back and realise your backstory is a better story than your story, write that story instead

I think I'm pissed off at all isekai for existing when Grimgar just got unceremoniously dropped.
I'm sure it'll come back... Any time soon...

Also, Reincarnated As My Own Reflection sounds kinda awesome, like a reverse Jojo or that one series with the vaguely horror themed reincarnation/stand type abilities that I thought was called something like Aiki but that's the jujitsu perv master one.
Now that I think about it; I can't think of many horror isekais where they point out just how horrifying being isekaid could be

In other news I finally watched eminence in shadow s2 and kingdoms of ruin. New season of eminence in shadow understands it's a parody now; first season had that one punch man adaptation problem in that it really struggled to understand if it was a standard battle shonen or a parody of standard battle shonens. Kingdoms of ruin on the other hand is like someone taped a bunch of razor blades onto a tennis ball for ultimate high stakes tennis. It's quite as edgy as something like redo of healer but it is pretty edgy nonetheless. Every character is a jaded asshole or passionate arsehole; if they're a good person, then they're going to suffer terrible terrible death 1 minute later. I don't know where the hell the show is going as right now it's this weird mix of an overpowered amoral protagonist drifting through plot, great world building, incredibly high edginess... And I think the first time the protagonist is actually going to make a decision which affects the story is episode 4 or 5.

Eminence in shadow s2; edgy overpowered protagonist accidentally creates a secret organisation to kill a demon organisation he isn't aware actually exists. Whereas in season 1 it took me a long time to realise the protag wasn't aware the org existed, s2 makes it abundantly clear he's just winging it and essentially larping (and assuming all of his "friends" are larping too). It's got the same joke as Overlord where everyone assumes he's 300 IQ seeing the future but really they're just projecting intelligence onto someone living in the moment. S2 definitely a considerable improvement in quality to s1, both in terms of animation and comedy. The protagonist ends up adopting a fake alias "John Smith" and going to war with his own organisation. Everyone assumes this is 5D chess but really he's just having fun

Kingdoms of Ruin; edgy child is mentored by his adopted witch mum. Humans discover science and realise with science they can look eye to eye with witches. Emperor of humanity awakens a massive inferiority complex in humans and they decide the most logical thing to do is exterminate all the witches. Kid watches as his adopted witch mum is executed. Kid is imprisoned for ten years in isolation.
Fast forward 10 years and the witches manage to break the protag (now a man) out of prison, where he immediately goes on a rampage vowing to exterminate all of mankind. Things get only more complicated from there as the protag realises there are still surviving witches and the possibility to resurrect his witch mum... Yet does not ally himself with the surviving witches either, as he knew his mother was exiled from the witch kingdom for the crime of teaching a human child magic. Given that the show is Kingdoms of Ruin, I'm willing to bet the end of the show is going to have both human and witch kingdom annihilated.

It's a really weird show. I'm going to keep watching it for now because I like how weird and all over the place it is.

Hilarious reviews: People have criticised the show for how unrealistic it is to have the human Emperor so easily convince all the humans that it is necessary to exterminate all of the witches, even though the witches have always been helpful to humanity. I really wonder if Japan has the same expression of a "witch hunt" that the English language does

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #32816 on: November 09, 2023, 07:44:37 pm »

Just saw the "little sister bringing tea for brother and papa while they work on coding" scene from Good Night World. (Episode 3 or 4 I think?)

He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32817 on: November 09, 2023, 07:52:58 pm »

I don't know what any of those words mean but I assume it's not good.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #32818 on: December 14, 2023, 02:17:32 pm »

Just finished Attack on Titan, the final season. I remember watching the first few while snuggling up with a gf. I waited to watch more incase we met up again. Turns out she got married and had a kid, so this was my consolation prize, lol.

Damn, excellence. A pure anime. Unwavering and visionary.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32819 on: December 20, 2023, 09:21:00 pm »

Just saw the "little sister bringing tea for brother and papa while they work on coding" scene from Good Night World. (Episode 3 or 4 I think?)

I just recently finished up Good Night World, and damn I was not expecting what I got. I thought it'd be a touching tale of a family reconciling their differences, however inadvertently, over an online game and getting a nice, wholesome ending. Something like Dad of Light, a live action show with a premise like that. What I GOT from Good Night World was the most insane cranking up of stakes and melodrama ever. I was interested and engaged all the way through, so I won't say it was bad, but JESUS did the show's premise grow to hyperbolic proportions near the end.
Pages: 1 ... 2186 2187 [2188] 2189 2190 ... 2193