Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2104 2105 [2106] 2107 2108 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3082108 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31575 on: October 23, 2018, 02:55:11 am »

I wouldn't call it master planning if all you do is take credit for random shit happening as all being a part of your plan and then having others explain it for you  because you yourself have no clue just what that plan is.

Overlord to me was initially interesting because the main dude had a very careful and methodical approach to everything, despite being OP. It had a sense of a strange new power entering the world for the first time and trying to figure out its next course of action. Plus all the OP one sided stomps of various assholes were entertaining to watch. Then it kinda went downhill in the second season, then again in the third. There are some interesting side characters but for the most part they're walking fantasy tropes that we waste entire episodes getting to know before they're forgotten or outright killed, making the whole exercise of getting to know them pointless because they never amount to anything other than cannon fodder.

As far as good isekai goes, I'd say Grimgar is on the top of the list for me. Aside from being beautiful as fuck the story takes a different approach in that it follows a group of people with no experience and their struggle to get by as adventurers. Damn shame it only has a single season tho.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31576 on: October 23, 2018, 07:00:47 am »

I like Overlord, it has too many flaws to consider it a great anime, but I'm waiting for the next season definitely. I like that he puts a lot of thought in all his actions, and then further thought into the consequences of his actions. He's so powerful that all that forethought seems like a waste of time, but he's running on the assumption that if other players WERE transported to this new world, then all his power probably means jack shit, and he could be killed very easily if he just so happened to run into someone who had a PVP-specced character. That's speculation on my part though, because most fights involving him are just him whipping out his skeleton schlong and beating the opponent to death with it.

His minions are brainlessly loyal, which I don't really like, as it flattens their personalities considerably and definitely comes off as Authorwank.

I liked the end of season one though, it has an actual real fight. Strategy and skill was necessary, and that showed that the Ainz has a cap on his power, that he can't get any stronger and so has to use cleverness and preparation for real conflicts... oh, and the abuse of literal Pay2Win mechanics that he brought over from the game that still function in the fantasy world.

While I'm waiting for the next season however, I'm watching a new Isekai on the block: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.

It's only a few episodes in, but it seems like Overlord, but worse.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:02:24 am by JoshuaFH »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31577 on: October 23, 2018, 10:18:04 am »

I like Overlord, it has too many flaws to consider it a great anime, but I'm waiting for the next season definitely. I like that he puts a lot of thought in all his actions, and then further thought into the consequences of his actions. He's so powerful that all that forethought seems like a waste of time, but he's running on the assumption that if other players WERE transported to this new world, then all his power probably means jack shit, and he could be killed very easily if he just so happened to run into someone who had a PVP-specced character. That's speculation on my part though, because most fights involving him are just him whipping out his skeleton schlong and beating the opponent to death with it.

His minions are brainlessly loyal, which I don't really like, as it flattens their personalities considerably and definitely comes off as Authorwank.

I liked the end of season one though, it has an actual real fight. Strategy and skill was necessary, and that showed that the Ainz has a cap on his power, that he can't get any stronger and so has to use cleverness and preparation for real conflicts... oh, and the abuse of literal Pay2Win mechanics that he brought over from the game that still function in the fantasy world.

While I'm waiting for the next season however, I'm watching a new Isekai on the block: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.

It's only a few episodes in, but it seems like Overlord, but worse.
To me it seems like Re:monster but without all the horrific rape.  Its surprisingly upbeat and wholesome so far, which is a change. Though it could benefit from some better pacing.

I wouldn't call it master planning if all you do is take credit for random shit happening as all being a part of your plan and then having others explain it for you  because you yourself have no clue just what that plan is.

Overlord to me was initially interesting because the main dude had a very careful and methodical approach to everything, despite being OP. It had a sense of a strange new power entering the world for the first time and trying to figure out its next course of action. Plus all the OP one sided stomps of various assholes were entertaining to watch. Then it kinda went downhill in the second season, then again in the third. There are some interesting side characters but for the most part they're walking fantasy tropes that we waste entire episodes getting to know before they're forgotten or outright killed, making the whole exercise of getting to know them pointless because they never amount to anything other than cannon fodder.

As far as good isekai goes, I'd say Grimgar is on the top of the list for me. Aside from being beautiful as fuck the story takes a different approach in that it follows a group of people with no experience and their struggle to get by as adventurers. Damn shame it only has a single season tho.
I'd recommend grimgar too. I got it on blueray.

The LN has been translated to a point, if you wanna continue past the season end.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31578 on: October 23, 2018, 04:02:12 pm »

I rarely watch anime after it airs but I've been watching Symphogear and it's great. A sort of hybrid between magical girl and shounen battle. Most of the mythical references seem like window dressing but they deliver on some of it in thorough and interesting ways, and it's interesting and well done all around.

You'll like the next season much better, then.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:07:47 pm by Cruxador »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31579 on: October 23, 2018, 07:20:20 pm »

I rarely watch anime after it airs but I've been watching Symphogear and it's great. A sort of hybrid between magical girl and shounen battle. Most of the mythical references seem like window dressing but they deliver on some of it in thorough and interesting ways, and it's interesting and well done all around.

Yeah Symphogear is a lot of fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31580 on: October 23, 2018, 08:03:58 pm »

Like, did you actually, honestly, think it was just fanfiction mary sue wank?
Absolutely and unconditionally.

There were wisps of other stuff inside the blatant wank stew, but it didn't use most of them very well. I noticed and could talk about a whole bunch of stuff, but most of it ends with "it didn't really go anywhere."

1. One of the big problem in Isekais and many anime in general is the fact that the protags asspull powers whenever the need to. They go up against a strong enemy and then the power of friendship or whatever gives them the strength to get through. This makes them feel marysue-ish because there's no limit to their power and no limit to what they can do, they can just pull new powers and skills whenever they need it and it leads to stupid levels of escalation. Overlord begins with its characters being overwhelmingly strong but that strength stays consistent. The main character can fight just about anything with little effort but when he does face threats his power level doesn't rise out of nowhere and he wins through the use of exploiting known things as opposed to bullshit. At least thats how it feels.
Bullshit!

The anime is arguably more honest about the main character being blatantly overpowered, but even with that confession it's not very interested in remaining consistent. To start with, his power level is "D&D style wizard with a shitton of magic items." We don't get a clear sense that he deals X damage per round or only has Y hit points. Outside of, as usual, a few trivial details: He's weak to holy, weak to melee combat, and dependent on MP for damage.

Oh, but: He can cover up and then lie about the holy weakness, because people can't tell if they're damaging him or not without a spell, which he can counteract with a different spell, which we know he has when he explains he's already used it. Also he's only weak to melee combat if he hasn't, and I'm not making this up, changed his class with magic and then equipped legendary artifact armor and weapons. This also reduces his need to rely on MP for damage, obviously, since he can just brawl in the frontlines. Less effectively than a character supposedly of his strength level and built for that exact purpose, but still.

You might notice I got sidetracked from talking about how pulling scrolls out of your ass is not "consistent" by the need to point out that every single concrete detail is the setup for an asspull reversal of what we've been told. The point here is that even claiming he's super strong at the beginning and even with that strength being ridiculously broad and vague, there are still asspulls the show relies on heavily. They call it "strategy" rather than "friendship" after the fact, but the pattern remains: We're told X, we get Y. X being a ridiculously large number to begin with didn't save us.

2. Most Isekais focus on the overpowered protag fighting some evil force and beating them. Part of the reason they seem like fanfiction is they focus entirely on this protag and how great he is.  Meanwhile Overlord actually spends a lot of its time focused on other characters. You barely see Ainz during the entire second season, instead the story focuses on those around him and those effected by him.  Despite him being ostensibly the main character they frame the series more like a group story where he is the connecting element rather that the protagonist. And Ainz' story isn't some generic fight the evil guy thing, none of the sides in the story are depicted as just mindlessly evil (Besides maybe Clem and her necrobuddy). There's a lot of moral gray area including with Ainz. Everyone has their own motivations and desires and despite Ainz overwhelming strength there are relatively few fights with him in it.
Are you just quoting that terrible video to trigger me? You have to tell me if you are, that's the rule.

The anime indeed spends a lot of time on the other characters, but the other characters spend a lot of time focused on Ainz. I haven't seen the second season, so if the show "really gets good" six hours in I suppose I'm really missing out on a masterpiece, but otherwise if Momon-sama isn't on screen, everyone should be asking where Momon-sama is. You don't need to be doing stuff to be a Mary Sue if everything everyone else does is about and/or because of you, and especially not when none of it matters unless you're one of his slavishly loyal retainers.

The story indeed avoids being cliche, and is instead just kind of incoherent. Ainz wants to find other players, if any. So instead of looking for them, he'll spread a name they'll recognize. So instead of doing that directly he renames himself to his guild and then becomes famous. So instead of using his immense wizard dick to do that he just kinda faffs about undercover getting people to love him. So... the plot is basically just a contrived glory hound/universally beloved champion thing.

There are indeed characters that want things, but none of them can get them without Ainz grabbing them off the top shelf for them (if aware of just how amazing Ainz-sama is) or declining to murder them as he is wont to do (if they're mustache-twirling villains who foolishly think they can defeat him before being effortlessly crushed by his grandiose might). Again, classic Sue-Sign: Everyone who dislikes the character is a powerless mook who kills villagers before being effortlessly gibbed, everyone halfway alright can see just how incredibly amazing the main character's brilliance is. The fact that the halfway alright people are also powerless mooks who get effortlessly gibbed by someone else makes things worse, not better.

3. There's a lot of subtle characterization on display, particularly with Ainz. For instance Irony talked about a  campfire scene.  I just rewatched it to make sure my memory of it was good and I have to say, I think he really is biased in this respect. I'll list the actual events as they take place
The scene is roughly 7 and a half minutes long and contains about 10-15 seconds of talking about Ainz in a way that is reasonable  considering the world and the events that have happened.  Whats more we get a feeling for Ainz true motivations and desires, his regrets, and aspects of his character. And this is not done by saying them bluntly but inferred by how he acts.
The show as a whole has some characterization. I don't know that I'd call it subtle or claim there's a lot of it. In Ainz's case specifically, they do a good job of one or two things (mainly his devotion to the guild and pining for its days of camaraderie) and feint or waffle on the rest. Like the fact that he has a harem of slavishly devoted minions and bands of wandering adventurers willing and able to fill that gap, but he's apparently uninterested.

For the campfire, I did gloss over the history/characterization part, yeah, but largely because they're still irrelevant mooks and Ainz claims (somewhat untruthfully) not to care about them. It's a better scene than I was giving it credit for, but if you ask what you've missed by not seeing it... well, just Ainz pining, really. Setup for a later event, but one we get inconsistent claims and behavior regarding. Maybe very vague background lore that either never comes up or takes until next season to be relevant.

Meanwhile, I feel like you're trying to gloss over the raw Sue-ness of that scene. For instance, by "reasonable considering the world and the events that have happened" I assume you mean Ainz, the Wizard, effortlessly mowing down ogres with giant melee weapons while wearing heavy armor, thereby justifying everyone exalting that Ainz, the Wizard, is probably a better warrior than the best warrior in the kingdom. Ah. Clearly, this is a sign that he's less of a Sue than I'd have you believe.

Also, I refuse to let you get away with the phrase "I wonder how I could have been so thoughtless?" for cheerfully telling Ainz he'll find new companions someday. Especially when he's eating dinner with some.

4. There's a lot of political intrigue, season long master plans, secret motivations, and character deaths. The story as a whole feels more complex and thought out than your standard Isekai, with the motivations and actions of several factions and characters dynamically coming into conflict with each other for their own reasons.
You lost me here. I saw none of this. I mean, I saw lots of character deaths, but I assume you meant meaningful and fleshed out. Which, again, is kind of difficult when nothing they do matters because they're so pathetically weak.

but he's running on the assumption that if other players WERE transported to this new world, then all his power probably means jack shit, and he could be killed very easily if he just so happened to run into someone who had a PVP-specced character. That's speculation on my part though, because most fights involving him are just him whipping out his skeleton schlong and beating the opponent to death with it.
That's one of the things that bothered me. He consistently talks about being careful because he doesn't know how strong stuff is, but the whole world he's seen is made of tissue paper and it never becomes relevant. It's just faffing about for no reason.

I wanted to like it, and it had a few good parts (bluffing about sky-mines was clever at first), but it still degenerated into vague wizard-wank. The implication that something intentionally stopped her at a pivotal moment was intriguing, but from what I hear it doesn't come up ever again.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31581 on: October 25, 2018, 10:20:14 pm »

I know AMVs are dead, but here's a new one that's rather different from what once was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diNl8b9G88s

Note that although the disclaimer at the beginning can be considered technically true, it requires a bit of pedantry to elucidate the technicalities, and it's still probably not something you should watch with your kids. It feels like it's making a point, although it's not totally clear to me exactly what that point is.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31582 on: October 25, 2018, 10:52:19 pm »

Yeah, i'm not buying the disclaimer there. While innuendo is a thing that video crosses the line way past innuendo. Definitely far into NSFW. While there is a philosophical question about how much sexual connotation is in the work vs in your own mind, this video is so far into blatant sexual content that the disclaimer is just a trolling effort and has no deeper meaning.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:10:19 pm by Reelya »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31583 on: October 25, 2018, 11:07:13 pm »

It feels like it's making a point, although it's not totally clear to me exactly what that point is.

That you can get away with softcore porn so long as you call it art? I can't imagine what other point it could be making beyond 'let's see what I can get onto Youtube and have it stick'.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31584 on: October 25, 2018, 11:40:40 pm »

It feels like it's making a point, although it's not totally clear to me exactly what that point is.

That you can get away with softcore porn so long as you call it art? I can't imagine what other point it could be making beyond 'let's see what I can get onto Youtube and have it stick'.
Possibly the power of imagination, like how a stylized silhouette of a dick gets translated to basically a dick even though there is no dick, there's just a silhouette of what could be a dick. Considerably less shocking when the "real" thing is highly stylized images in the first place.

That said, my guess would be they just wanted to make artsy porn and acted accordingly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Napagady

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31585 on: October 26, 2018, 07:00:32 am »

Just western culture anime

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31586 on: October 26, 2018, 02:23:18 pm »

Um, I'd like to finally PTW, even though I can't follow the current conversation.  I might even discuss Evangelion at some point, or not.
that Castlevania series on Netflix is pretty damn good! It's got that classic art style and general vibes reminiscent of the Record of the Lodoss War. It's like it's running will all the old tropes, but somehow makes them feel fresh, or at least too cool to care.

edit: whaaat? there's only four episodes? blaaah! This needs more hype, so that they make another 20.
Season 2 came out recently and the first quarter of S2:E1 is about his wife getting raided by the church.  I'm excited.  I like that Dracula has a reason, he was forced by the clergy - who themselves have reasons.  They're both villains, they're both wrong, but it's more interesting IMHO.  But I really like seeing more of Dracula's scientist wife and her attempts to talk them down with reason.

Plus there's obviously going to be more Alucard (or whatever his name is in this), Dracula's angsty graceful son.  Glee~
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31587 on: October 26, 2018, 04:08:54 pm »

Speaking of which, I just forced my way through Evangelion. I am not approve.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31588 on: October 26, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »

It had many very compelling moments which gave me a lot of feels, but the ending fell apart.
I hesitate to say that, because a couple important people in my life insisted that the ending was actually genius and totally makes sense if you see the following movies (once they actually got a budget and could make more than stick figures).

And I'm like - it made sense, it's just sorta dumb and extremely preachy/lazy.  It's a disappointing fizzle for a show which was otherwise very strong.
The ending felt really bad because I feel like the characters were more interesting than it.  "And they lived happily ever after" or "Then they died" would have been better endings than the "OoOo isn't my blatant insecurity bizarre and weird" it ended on.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31589 on: October 26, 2018, 04:29:01 pm »

It had many very compelling moments which gave me a lot of feels, but the ending fell apart.
I hesitate to say that, because a couple important people in my life insisted that the ending was actually genius and totally makes sense if you see the following movies (once they actually got a budget and could make more than stick figures).

And I'm like - it made sense, it's just sorta dumb and extremely preachy/lazy.  It's a disappointing fizzle for a show which was otherwise very strong.
The ending felt really bad because I feel like the characters were more interesting than it.  "And they lived happily ever after" or "Then they died" would have been better endings than the "OoOo isn't my blatant insecurity bizarre and weird" it ended on.
Movie is worth watching. It basically treats the original ending as non-canon and replaces it with something with actual cause and effect. It’s still confusing as hell and you will have little idea of what’s going on, but the first half has some good moments at least. Second half is basically the ending again, but this time with an actual budget.

On a whole I’d rate it 6/10 or 2.5 stars.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 2104 2105 [2106] 2107 2108 ... 2193