Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3082521 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31305 on: May 25, 2018, 05:01:32 am »

I just binge watched Aggretsuko. What a fun show, if very short. All 10 episodes, at 15 minutes each, means the whole series doesn't consume the time of two normal movies.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31306 on: May 25, 2018, 09:34:28 am »

Originally that was 100 episodes of 1 minute each. I'm still working out how that relates to what you saw. At first I thought you'd just seen a repackaged version, but it says on Wikipedia that it was recently released as a "Netflix original" program that had 10 episodes, and the original writer/director was hired for that, so it's probably completely new/reworked material.

BTW the original title is actually アグレッシブ烈子 => Aguresshibu Retsuko.  That's what appears on-screen in the original release. If "Aggretsuko" is a thing, and I hadn't actually heard it called that before, it would be specific to the English dub or Netflix version.

So as luck would have it, there's more Aggressive Retsuko to watch, for both of us. Adding all those together, the first web series is equivalent to 4 normal episodes, and the Netflix series is equivalent to 6 normal episodes. So it's still not all that long.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:38:37 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31307 on: May 25, 2018, 01:59:22 pm »

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I'm got on the Netflix free trial for a month of binging on the Netflix originals. I watched Violet Evergarden, the show you recommended earlier. I was greatly impressed! It's a very beautiful show, for some reason my monitor itself crashed twice and I had to restart my computer, something which has literally never happened before. I just put it down to the show being literally too beautiful for my hardware to handle, but it was concerning.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overall I liked the show a lot, thanks for pointing me in its direction Reelya.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31308 on: May 26, 2018, 02:52:50 am »

Cheers, it's always nice to get feedback on suggestions and know that other people appreciated them.

BTW I just finshed off Junji Ito Collection, which was pretty enjoyable. However something someone here said got me thinking about horror, and the different types and how cultural expectations can shape what we expect from a genre. e.g. someone said they didn't get Junji Ito Collection because it didn't "scare" them, and that got me thinking about whether the intent was even that.

e.g. one type of "horror" is the type that defines its appeal as "shocking" the audience with jump-out-of your seat moments. It's all based around eliciting the emotion of "being scared", so this type of horror will have a lot of jump-scares and monster-in-the-closet moments, as well as fake-outs, since it's hard to maintain that level of jump-scares continuously.

Whereas Junjo Ito isn't really based around that at all. it's not Freddy vs Jason material. Junjo Ito's stuff is based on setting up ideas that are wrong and disturbing then letting them play out to their tragi-comical finales. Yeah, that verges on horror, but it's a different type of horror, more going for pervasive unnerving feeling, or a sense of things being wrong or incongruous. In that sense it might be more akin to something like the Twilight Zone than it is to western horror films. e.g. Ito's stuff is more a cerebral type of body-horror, than an "omg get out of that room" sort of visceral horror, although it can definitely elicit that feeling too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:05:40 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31309 on: May 26, 2018, 06:26:47 am »

It's unfortunate that Junji Ito Collection was going to fail no matter what, as it's obvious that what makes Ito's horror function at all is his obsessive master craftsmanship over the art and medium, while the crew in charge of the anime are obviously not obsessive master craftsman in any sense of the word, so they just wound up making schlock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31310 on: May 29, 2018, 07:44:18 am »

A brand new isekai fantasy light novel series. Volume 1 synopsis:

Description

After dying in a traffic accident, I find myself standing near an unfamiliar lake. My body won't move, I can't hear my voice, and when I try to shout in confusion, words that I never expected come out:

"Get one free with a winner."

I-it seems I've turned into a vending machine... I can only do what actual vending machines can. It's impossible to move by myself, and there's no way for me to have any meaningful conversation-how am I going to survive some fantasy world's dungeon like this?

... Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Now Wander the Dungeon, Vol. 1

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31311 on: May 29, 2018, 07:47:24 am »

That Vending Machine and the Female Fridge should be introduced to eachother.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31312 on: May 29, 2018, 10:36:48 am »

Oh hey, that got licensed. Not too surprising considering that the very concept continually gets people's attention and the writing is at least decent enough to hold it for a bit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31313 on: May 29, 2018, 11:07:40 am »

... yeah, quick look at it and the writing's fairly decent for what it is. Pretty inoffensive so far.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31314 on: May 31, 2018, 11:59:16 am »

I still have a couple of spare gift keys for visual novels, on NSFW looking one (Karakara) and one SFW looking one (fault milestone 1 + fault milestone 2), anyone interested?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31315 on: June 07, 2018, 09:44:37 am »

Overlord season 3 was confirmed in the afterword of volume 13. If they do volumes 7, 8, and 9 as they probably will, then this will be the best season so far. But I suspect that they'll switch to two volumes per season after this, since the books just keep getting longer, and volumes 12 and 13 should be kept together same as with the two men in the city volumes of season 2.

SabbaticGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • help im stuck in a aquif-blublubublbulubl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31316 on: June 07, 2018, 09:52:25 am »

Spice and Wolf is one of my faves.
But you could have guessed that.

Other than that, I love the parody anime, like the official dub for Ghost Stories, Nichibros, Nichijou, and KonoSuba.
hehe i became a girl

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31317 on: June 07, 2018, 10:09:25 am »

Coincidentally, the fault milestone visual novels are actually written by the same author who wrote the Spice and Wolf novels, if you'd like to have my spare steam gift keys for that, let me know.

EDIT: Also I'm a big fan of the Aria series and have been watching the spiritual successor to Aria, Amanchu. It's nice but not as great as Aria (which isn't really a criticism). It's from a manga by the same author, and also directed by Junichi Satou (known for series including Sailor Moon, Aria, Princess Tutu and now Amanchu). If you like Spice and Wolf I'd recommend giving Aria a look.

And also Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, it's fairly similar to Spice and Wolf, and was directed by Takeo Takahashi, who was the director of Spice and Wolf, so it could be seen as a spiritual successor to some degree.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:35:07 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31318 on: June 07, 2018, 04:13:04 pm »

I ran into "To Be Heroine", and if you remember "To Be Hero" then you already know the acid trip is starting again.

This week's episode of Golden Kamuy is the best yet in pure humor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31319 on: June 07, 2018, 05:03:22 pm »

And also Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, it's fairly similar to Spice and Wolf, and was directed by Takeo Takahashi, who was the director of Spice and Wolf, so it could be seen as a spiritual successor to some degree.
Ain't seen the anime of this, but the books are pretty nice. Dunno how hard I'd recommend 'em, but they're not bad reads.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 2193