Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2082 2083 [2084] 2085 2086 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3084282 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31245 on: April 10, 2018, 08:21:38 am »

I was thinking more along the lines of it being read as Ole by the Japanese which lead to a rather interesting mental image of a magical girl luchador anime.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31246 on: April 10, 2018, 09:49:04 am »

magical mineralogical moe mayhem. This show has brought not bauxite-tan into the world and is lesser for it :-\
Land of the Lustrous is apparently about pretty rocks fighting off Buddhist kung fu artists or somesuch. Haven't actually seen it myself, though.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31247 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:33 am »

Houseki no Kuni is weird as shit if you've read the manga so far, and it's like if Steven Universe was a beautiful androgyne mystery.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31248 on: April 13, 2018, 02:41:21 am »

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii is a pretty cute show.

3D kanojo is too, though it leans a bit in the awkward direction.

Comic girls is also cute, but in a far more usual CGDCT way; it's perhaps a bit overwrought and heavier on the yuri overtones that I usually care for, but I'm liking it anyway.

Mahou Shoujo Site is ridiculously edgy and despite trying really hard to evoke emotion, doesn't really. But it's also incredibly stylish and the first episode had some cool moments. I'm going three episode on that one.

So I think I've identified the funny meme show of the new season: Magical Girl Ore.

The name is self-explanatory.
It's kind of good, but I feel like it tries to hard. Feels more like Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara, while I was hoping for Ore! Twintails ni Narimasu. Still worth trying out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31249 on: April 13, 2018, 10:45:46 am »

The synopsis for this new show got me:

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (Horse Girl: Pretty Derby).

In a world very much like our own, great race horses of the past have a chance to be reborn as "horse girls"—girls with the ears and tails of horses as well as their speed and endurance. The best of these horse girls go to train at Tokyo's Tracen Academy, hopefully moving on to fame and fortune as both racers and idols.

Special Week, a high school horse girl from the countryside, has just transferred to Tracen, and she's determined to fulfill her promise to her mother to become the best horse girl in Japan. On her way to school, she takes a pit stop at the race track and instantly falls in love with Silence Suzuka's style, becoming determined to race on the same team as her.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31250 on: April 13, 2018, 11:12:49 am »

What the fuck Japan, who comes up with that shit??
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31251 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:39 am »

To be honest, coming up with this type of stuff isn't exactly rocket science.

e.g. just off the top of my head:

"Chair girls - chairs turn into living girls and go to Chair School where they train to be the best chairs possible, compete in the inter-school chairlympics, all while training to be Japan's next pop idol sensation. Sofia is one such chair girl, aspiring to adorn none other than the office of the prime minister of Japan".

It's not actually hard to come up with this stuff at this point in time. Zero "come up with that shit" effort needed. Just take some random thing from real life, turn it into a highschool setting with anthopomorphic girls, throw in a school-vs-school competition so you can rig together a plot structure with zero effort, add in "seasoning" e.g. extraneous popular elements such as they are also singing idols. While it might sound left-field if you're not familiar with mecha-musume and the whole slew of anthro-schoolgirl shows, this is actually formulaic now.

e.g. recently there was a short anime show called "Love Kome: We Love Rice" about a bunch of schoolboys who were all living embodiments of different strains of rice. The rival school was all bread related, and there was a rivalry / competition element to it, where the winners become pop idols. Basically the same formula as the horse girl one, except choose a different "thing" and the other gender. Is there really much effort "coming up" with stuff like this?

You can come up with this stuff merely by picking random nouns from the dictionary then making them anthropomorphic, then bolting on the standard plot rails: in terms of construction they're akin to those oldschool American "family" domestic sitcoms which each have their one "gimmick" to carry the show. e.g. "Alf" or "Small Wonder" or "Harry and the Hendersons" which are all of the formula "generic family + 'a secret' + nosey neighbor" (which goes right back to Bewitched and Jeannie). So for e.g. "Alf", nobody really had to come up with much of a show, they only had to come up with the gimmick then inject it into a standardized "show" container. It's similar for these types of highschool/sports-contest animes which each have their one gimmick.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:10:37 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31252 on: April 13, 2018, 11:38:33 am »

In this case it's also potentially a way to get a sport audience and a not sporty at all audience together in one show.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #31253 on: April 13, 2018, 12:12:55 pm »

"Bay girls - bays turn into living girls and go to Bay School where they train to be the best bays possible, compete in the inter-school baylympics, all while training to be Japan's next pop idol sensation. Sofia is one such bay girl, aspiring to one day serve all Yamato Class battleships".

Wow, it really works.

Grab a friend, flip a dictionary and ask him to stop at a random page. Boom, newest Kadokawa production!
In a time before time, I had a name.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31254 on: April 13, 2018, 12:22:18 pm »

They make a Horse Girl anime and they're not even centaurs. Why even bother?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31255 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:01 pm »

I mean the idea is shit and not hard to come up with. I'm just interested what kind of person upon hearing it suggested goes: "Huh, let's sink a ton of money into that, it sounds like something that would sell" instead of a blank stare and a possible "What kind of shit drugs have you been taking?" question.
AS - IG

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31256 on: April 13, 2018, 03:07:15 pm »

Apparently that horsegirl anime is paired with a mobile game in Japan. So my guess is that it's trying to ride the wave of cute girls as ships/tanks/guns that's popular in Asia at the moment. So yes. It is very much something that could sell in the current market. Whether it actually will is another thing but still.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31257 on: April 13, 2018, 04:35:43 pm »

I mean the idea is shit and not hard to come up with. I'm just interested what kind of person upon hearing it suggested goes: "Huh, let's sink a ton of money into that, it sounds like something that would sell" instead of a blank stare and a possible "What kind of shit drugs have you been taking?" question.

Someone who's interesting in making money. Shows get talked about precisely because they did something different. Basically, the more fucked up the better, because, hey, we're talking about this show and not the other 50 shows of the season, right? So, having some completely idiotic premise for your comedy anime immediately gets word of mouth happening.

The point being: being "reasonable" is a terrible business plan in a creative industry. e.g. if someone pitches a show concept to you and you think "that's the single stupidest idea I've ever heard", then the idea is probably actually a winner.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:04:42 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31258 on: April 13, 2018, 05:20:31 pm »

That show is based off actual racehorses.
One character is Silence Suzuka ... who in realty, broke an ankle and died.
Does that mean this Horse Girl Anime is gonna become a Glue Girl Anime?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31259 on: April 13, 2018, 06:42:50 pm »

That show is based off actual racehorses.
One character is Silence Suzuka ... who in realty, broke an ankle and died.
Does that mean this Horse Girl Anime is gonna become a Glue Girl Anime?
>star girl trips while walking home
>everyone freezes in horror
>her friends eyes well up with tears
>old guy in a suit heads towards her
>visibly distraught but holding a gun for some reason
>cuts to the girl with a pleading look on her face
>reverse cut back to her friends flinching at the sound of a gunshot
Pages: 1 ... 2082 2083 [2084] 2085 2086 ... 2193