Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3084342 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31215 on: March 22, 2018, 11:52:44 am »

Ok, let me rephrase..
Any recent Slice of Life anime that's considered good?
The older the characters, the better. (School-related animes usually bore me for some reason.)

And please, none of that ecchi stuff.
Yuru Camp is probably your best bet. It's definitely the number one SoL for the season. It has school aged characters but isn't school-centric.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31216 on: March 22, 2018, 03:29:44 pm »

Yeah, this season seems to have a lot of duds for me. Second seasons of both Overlord and Nanatsu No Taizai took a rather bad turn for the worse pretty quickly imo.

That said, Darling in the Franxx is a breath of fresh air so far. It's kinda hard to pin exactly where it'll go but that's kinda the deal with most Trigger made stuff. Lots of style and a damn well executed idea with some punchy themes behind it. And however cheesy and silly it might get it's pretty earnest about the whole thing which makes it all the more enjoyable.

So if you're into teen drama (but more of the, struggling to find your place in the world, the actually interesting kind of drama) and colorful mecha fighting colorful giant monsters then I'd say it's a pretty safe bet you'll enjoy this one.

I'm not really sure what you're on about. I've been really enjoying the second season of Overlord so far, while Darling in the Franxx seems like a dud that doesn't really grab me. I actually poked into Franxx looking for a generic mecha show, and was put off, so I don't think my expectations for it were too high.

Part of what makes Overlord a well liked story for me is that there is clearly a wider world that exists. The original main character is just one person who's dropped in to a whole new world. One that's quite content to have plenty of things happening in it without any of his involvement. It's not "absurdly overpowered superdude curbstomps everything", it's "the last member of a large guild is transported into a new world and has to figure out what's going on, along with how to live in it". It's about exploration, isolation, the bittersweet reminiscence of lost friendships, and being a small part of a larger setting. There are a ton of characters, each of which have their own story to tell. Many of these stories get pretty much a whole book dedicated to them, and are used to flesh out the world while gradually adding to the larger story of the Main Character's search for answers and anyone he could call peers.

I can't comment on Nanatsu, as I haven't seen it and don't know anything about it.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31217 on: March 22, 2018, 04:43:17 pm »

Berserk: Casca's eyes seem pretty weird.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31218 on: March 22, 2018, 06:03:20 pm »

See, I was on board for the first season of Overlord beacuse it was about a powerful entity that was placed in an unexpected situation and had to use its wits and resources to figure out what was going on, as well as always being a few steps ahead in terms of planning it also either avoided or poked at some of the standard tropes of both fantasy and this genre specifically.

Cut to season two and instead of continuing the interesting stuff from season one we're treated to tropey depictions of random nobody lizardpeople for six episodes which have zero bearing on the rest of the thing except for a single character that was barely used in the first season. And of course the lizard people fucking part. Aside from that, as folks who've read the LN said, the whole part is essentially filler and has little to no impact on the rest of the story later on. So why the hell even have it then, it's a wild step from the previous stuff and accomplishes nothing, what was the point of it?

As for DiF, the whole thing is anything but run of the mill, it's not there to have cardboard heroes who want to be the bestest pilots and moar power super special talents and shit (like that one fantasy mecha show from last season, can't recall the name atm, but it was essentially every mecha trope ever, except it's magic instead of tech). It's more about the characters themselves trying to figure out what and who they are and what the hell might be going on in this rather messed up world they live in.
This is trigger we're talking about here, they don't really do ordinary, run of the mill shit (tho I haven't seen LWA so I can't comment on that one), every single of their shows so far has been a deconstruction or exploration of some sort. Most folks just don't look past the flashy style and great and over the top battles.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31219 on: March 22, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »

Cut to season two and instead of continuing the interesting stuff from season one we're treated to tropey depictions of random nobody lizardpeople for six episodes which have zero bearing on the rest of the thing except for a single character that was barely used in the first season. And of course the lizard people fucking part. Aside from that, as folks who've read the LN said, the whole part is essentially filler and has little to no impact on the rest of the story later on. So why the hell even have it then, it's a wild step from the previous stuff and accomplishes nothing, what was the point of it?
Chock it up to the author finding his feet, and the studio being faithful to one of the most successful series of the most successful publisher.

This is trigger we're talking about here, they don't really do ordinary, run of the mill shit
They did Inou Battles.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31220 on: March 25, 2018, 04:53:52 am »

I gave Yuru Camp a chance, and it's not exactly what I'm in the mood for at the moment.
But I might return to it at some point.

But I have begun watching Dragon Ball Super, just to see if it is worth my time.
And I must say..
I am a lot more interested in watching a series of the cast trying to fit into society,
rather than them fighting off yet another universe-threatening menace.

And speaking of universe-threatening menaces..
Why is it that every sufficiently powerful entities almost always want to commit genocide and/or destroy entire worlds?
I'm not just talking about anime.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31221 on: March 25, 2018, 05:53:09 am »

Why is it that every sufficiently powerful entities almost always want to commit genocide and/or destroy entire worlds?
Scale. Large things are impressive, which means it's tempting to include powerful entities and/or powerful threats. The two mesh nicely together as well; it's harder to pull off a meek foe destroying the universe or a universe-destroying foe who's fretting about prom.

That said, it's not terribly uncommon for the protagonist to be monstrously powerful yet incredibly petty and mundane. It's just that the antagonists and side characters tend to exist to let them show off, so more often than not they tend to do so maliciously and on a large scale.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31222 on: March 25, 2018, 09:44:50 am »

Scale. Large things are impressive, which means it's tempting to include powerful entities and/or powerful threats. The two mesh nicely together as well; it's harder to pull off a meek foe destroying the universe or a universe-destroying foe who's fretting about prom.
Lucifer and the biscuit hammer fills the former. The latter will never happen in Japanese fiction since prom is a uniquely American thing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31223 on: March 26, 2018, 04:33:47 am »

prom is a uniquely American thing.

lol, no, bro
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31224 on: March 26, 2018, 02:00:34 pm »

lol, no, bro
Unless you use "prom" to just mean "any big dance that kids do at about that age", yeah it is. Some countries copy them now due to American TV, but adopting American culture doesn't make it not American.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31225 on: March 26, 2018, 03:33:17 pm »

lol, no, bro
Unless you use "prom" to just mean "any big dance that kids do at about that age", yeah it is. Some countries copy them now due to American TV, but adopting American culture doesn't make it not American.
That's true.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31226 on: March 27, 2018, 12:58:37 am »

By "prom" I mean any ball held to celebrate the end of the School period. What else is prom if not a student ball? The idea that Americans are the only ones to have celebrated that is just patently ridiculous, as is the idea that everyone else is "just copying Americans".
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31227 on: March 27, 2018, 01:10:25 am »

Nah, school dances aren't common in Japan. Obviously I can't speak for everywhere, but some countries have those, others don't.

Anything that happens commonly in Japanese schools gets exploited over and over in school animes, so if they did have those, then they'd get exploited, but they don't. e.g. typical graduation episode in an anime is the boring diploma-receiving ceremony, and afterwards, the girls take the buttons from the uniforms of the boys they liked, while they stand around outside the school gates. This is a very common scene. If there was a "prom" then they'd show prom and not the boring diploma ceremonies. It would just make better television.

e.g. look at any American teen thing, and "who are you taking to the prom" is a very common plot-line. Basically, every American show ever with at least 1 teenage character has a "prom" episode, because it's a common experience that any show can tap into, and it's something that can be tapped for a lot of emotions. I've see a whole lot of school animes, and can't recall a single time that plot-line appears. Now, compare that to "who are you giving valentine's day chocolates?" or "who are you taking to the summer fireworks festival?". Both of those seem to happen in almost every anime where they could conceivably happen. If they did commonly have school dances in Japan to which people needed to bring a date, then animes would exploit that the same way they do the other stuff, but they just don't.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:56:04 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31228 on: March 27, 2018, 02:13:38 am »

I wasn't speaking in terms of Japan and anime. Apologies for going off topic.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31229 on: March 27, 2018, 12:05:36 pm »

By "prom" I mean any ball held to celebrate the end of the School period. What else is prom if not a student ball?
Rather than just any student ball, it's a single specific annual school ball. It's not even the only one in the US, so I don't see why it's surprising to you that it's not the only one in the world.
Pages: 1 ... 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 ... 2193