Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2078 2079 [2080] 2081 2082 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3084398 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31186 on: February 27, 2018, 10:58:05 am »

Yo hey guess what

Zoids are back

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/02/27/zoids-wild-tv-anime-runs-rampant-in-summer-of-2018
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/27/zoids-makes-return-new-cross-media-project-includes-nintendo-switch-game/
I feel like I grew out of that fifteen or twenty years ago, but I loved that shit when I was little. I guess it's joining the Digimon and DragonBall stuff in nostalgic new versions of a series. Not to mention stuff like the recent FMA or upcoming LotGH remakes, though those real with different generations.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31187 on: March 01, 2018, 09:39:19 pm »

Caught another episode of the Death March anime adaption. Confirmed for Do Not Watch, they're completely butchering the plot and cutting out a lot of characterization for no apparent reason. Okay, in fairness, for the very apparent reason that they just want another otaku-bait OP isekai haremshit series despite picking probably the worst possible source to derive such a show from.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31188 on: March 02, 2018, 03:33:37 am »

Remember me talking about Satou buying the prototype flashcards from the merchant?
Oh, it comes up again.
They squeeze it for moe.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31189 on: March 03, 2018, 10:58:44 pm »

So I'm trying to show my sister Fullmetal Alchemist. I know yer supposed to switch from the original to brotherhood at some point. Remember someone around these parts having it in their signiture. Can anyone help me?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31190 on: March 03, 2018, 11:14:49 pm »

Remember me talking about Satou buying the prototype flashcards from the merchant?
Oh, it comes up again.
They squeeze it for moe.
Oh boy, how utterly shocking and unexpected. I would never have expected this turn of events. Bravo to those brave souls in whatever shitty animation studio made this adaption, they are truly taking an untraveled path.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31191 on: March 08, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »

So I'm trying to show my sister Fullmetal Alchemist. I know yer supposed to switch from the original to brotherhood at some point. Remember someone around these parts having it in their signiture. Can anyone help me?
A few days late, but mine.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28404.msg6303939#msg6303939
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31192 on: March 08, 2018, 07:23:49 pm »

Thanks
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31193 on: March 09, 2018, 08:55:42 am »

Honestly, I’d recommend watching the 2003 adaptation in its entirety first. Even though it does split from the manga at the halfway point, it still manages to tell a damn good story up until the last 3 episodes. Even then the ending isn’t godawful, it’s just very disappointing.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt though. I’ve only seen the first 3 episodes of brotherhood and it’s incredibly painful seeing how badly they butchered scenes from 2003. I know it gets better later on (at least because there’s no 2003 version to compare it to), but I’m having trouble justifying the time investment required to get to the good point.

I think 2003 gets unnecessary flack and I wish more people would appreciate the things it did right. It’s not a bad show.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31194 on: March 09, 2018, 10:13:42 am »

People forget this but the 2003 version was widely known in its time for a reason, and it itself is the reason that FMA for popular at all
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:38:04 pm by Cruxador »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31195 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:24 am »

I casually saw FMA original back in the day, and recently looked up Brotherhood - Brotherhood definitely has it's better points (particularly when it comes to the story itself), but I still think I prefer the original as a whole. I feel like it's just better paced, more atmospheric and better at evoking feelings and sympathy for characters.
Love, scriver~

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31196 on: March 12, 2018, 01:02:57 pm »

Heh, my sister gave up after 2 episodes and said she just wasn't interested. Her loss.
I read the entire manga then watched brotherhood. Never saw the 2003 version. Probably not gonna at this point.

Very recently watched Evangelion for the second time. Brought me back to when I was a depressed 14 year old with an absent father. Gonna invite some friends over to watch the rebuilds pretty soon.

Somewhat recent watched Serial Experiments Lain. Weird. I think I kinda get it?

Started watching Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. I like the apocalyptic steampunk samurai setting but otherwise it seems mostly meh.

My GF is watching Dragon Ball Z. I don't get the appeal.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #31197 on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:53 pm »

Shit, they still haven't got around to Rebuild 4 did they?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31198 on: March 12, 2018, 03:32:06 pm »

Haha nope. Too busy working on godzilla.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31199 on: March 16, 2018, 11:56:10 pm »

I say the 2003 version of Fullmetal Alchemist is the better one overall. It draws you in much better than Brotherhood.

The things to keep in mind about the 2003 version diverging from the manga are twofold: First, the manga was literally still being written at the time, so they're not fucking around out of disrespect or anything like that. Second, the divergence was done with the input and blessing of the original author, so it still has that authentic feel.

It's got a couple of filler episodes with minor plotlines that don't come up again and are just there to expound a bit on ideas. Ideas like the Elric brothers' fame being used by others for their own gain, or something about getting so obsessed over something to the point where it ruins lives. They're still thematically appropriate, it's just that the characters introduced in those episodes don't end up being important in the larger plot.

Brotherhood had a very wide story. This feels like a weakness compared to the depth the 2003 version had. There were far more characters, and we kept switching between them when I was just starting to really enjoy what the current focus characters were doing. I never really cared that much about Scar's plotline in Brotherhood (though I could see some potential in it if it was done as a side story manga and the cast was explored in more depth.), and I never gave two shits about the human chimera soldiers later on. Most of the latter parts of Brotherhood, after it went a different direction from the 2003 version, felt shallow and lacking compared to the 2003 iteration.

For the moment, I'm working my way through Darker than Black, and Babylon 5. I'm also keeping up with Overlord Season 2. I read all the light novels I could find, but it's still nice to see things getting animated.

I'm at Episode 15 of Darker than Black, right after the opening visuals changed. So far, my impressions are that the dub is superb, the worldbuilding is subtle and well-done, and that the main character has a believable set of skills. He's effective at what he does, but not so overpowered that he stops fitting in with the world around him.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 2078 2079 [2080] 2081 2082 ... 2193