Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2072 2073 [2074] 2075 2076 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3084489 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #31095 on: January 13, 2018, 02:52:47 am »

He didn't say duck test. He specifically said elephant test. It shares a Wikipedia page and is somewhat similar, but it is very clearly a different thing.

Frankly, at this point, it seems like you're trying to deliberately prolong the argument.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31096 on: January 13, 2018, 03:27:59 am »

I didn't like Wakfu much. The story is overly generic, and the art looked way too much like a mobile game cutscene.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31097 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:57 am »

I admit, I was making some assumptions about Wakfu due to the fact that it's a game adaptation. Game adaptations have a pretty bad history in general.

The only real exceptions are that games that weren't really games except in the very loosest sense (visual novels, e.g. things which are 99% you just clicking through a pre-written story).

BTW, Gwen Stefani made an anime called Kuu Kuu Harajuku. It's on TV here. Is anyone else watching that :) ?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:45:05 am by Reelya »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31098 on: January 13, 2018, 05:33:02 am »

Ergh... I didn;t wat to do this, but seriously, this is so far gone. Sanity died here a long time ago.
1: Read the title. This is not the "anime" thread. It is the "liking anime" thread. If someone is reminded of anime when watching something french then that is relevant.
2: The definition of "made in Japan" is false. English is a living language, it changes and adapts based upon use, and it has consistently demonstrated an inability to conform to "made in Japan". It is pretty obvious why too. It is a completely ridiculous definition. Send a studio to Japan and it makes anime. Send one away and it doesn't. No matter how exposed(or not) they are to the locality. Where does the line get drawn? Japanese script? Cast? Director? Vocals? Video? What if a student draws a ball in the corner of a book that appears to bounce if they flick through the pages quickly? Technically any time something is copied it is a new instance, so nothing that isn't actually watched within Japan wouldn't be anime and everything that was would be, on account of where the viewed instance was produced, wit the possible exception of analogue exports... Is "Let's Speak English" a manga?(I am guessing that we all agree no, and am assuming that the story behind the webcomic is honest) Are the English Dubs themselves from Ghibli films anime?(I expect that most people who have seen the films, if they then listen to the dubs without the visuals, will hear anime, and those who don't probably self-identify as weeb otaku. If you self-identify as an extremist minority in a field, then I suspect that you exclude yourself from representing general definitions concerning that field...)

The simple fact is that place of origin does have a correlation, but there is precisely zero direct or binding connection. It doesn't control nor maintain the content so it is stupid for defining or describing the content. It is a stupid definition, even by the heroic standards of stupidity that humans are willing to tolerate, so it completely fails to maintain any lasting traction as a definition. The term simply does not mean that.

3: The term is derived from a culture that came about from people discovering something new, something that was distinctly different from the other animations, and they fell in love, and needed a way to refer to this thing that they loved. "Anime" describes what people like, which makes the whole "elephant" definition sound good, but it isn't. The elephant definition is just for the lazy, stupid, or desperate. There is always a better definition, it is just difficult to find. "Anime" is basically defined by cultural factors. It is also vague, more a case of scoring points based upon how many anime features it has and attaining the rank of anime if it scores well enough. It is also highly varied. Some people require more points than others. The same thing will be scored more highly by one person than another... There is all manner of variance in the definition both between regions and individuals. I expect that most "casuals", people who just sort-of-like anime but don't bother focusing upon it as its own special unique thing, will consider Avatar to be anime. The artstyle is a big point, and there are a great many other points too. But the artstyle is lacking a lot as well, in many little ways, and the story, character, setting, background, an so many other elements all just don't have enough of the anime quirks for someone who specifically seeks it out to get their anime fix out of it. But this can happen to anything Japanese that succeeds in escaping its cultural influences will not be anime. Some people may very legitimately remove C.G.I. from anime, while others can very legitimately claim that it is. Much French animation actually has a lot of cultural similarities to Japanese, if one wants to combine the two then that can be perfectly legitimate to them. And there is obviously places with a lot of Japanese cultural influence relative to the cultures that use the term that can produce things that many of the consumers won't be able to tell the difference, which is plenty of reason to apply the term without reservation when one considers the context. I mean, the taxonomy here is to determine whether someone will enjoy something, that is how media is best categories, there is nothing like the biological taxonomy's interest in common ancestry...

Someone fell in love with anime because "that guy was so dreamy" and so their point system goes: Bishonen 20=> and a highly angular artstyle 30=> and exactly like my first Husbando 40, physically abusive malelead 10, emotionally abusive 10, Femalelead somehow(symbolism was involved) saves the world without ever doing anything 10, Oh wow so many sparkles!!! 10 and 50 points = anime...
Someone else may have higher* standards and require 80 points. They'll awards 5 points each for speed lines, repetitive running animations, casual depictions of multiple active religions coexisting, disregard of child or same-sex nudity, scary tiny old people cerebus syndrome, non episodic... But they have their own special tastes, so they grant 60 points to each of: Women sexually assault each other in communal baths, male lead's face falls into female lead's underwear, The entire female cast explicitly want the male lead's babies, and not in the sense of "sacrifice your firstborn", well, not "just" in the sense of sacrificing their firstborn...
Or we could list all the differences between Crayon Shin-chan and Dennis the Menace and most of them would probably be part of the anime culture... I do not actually want to know anything about Crayon Shin-chan(nor Dennice the Menace for that matter...) so...

Anything that accrues enough of what the individual views of as anime culture will be anime and it is very possible for non-Japanese products to qualify and for Japanese products to fail. The term was derived from Japanese imports, so there is a very high correlation there, but that doesn't change that a geological definition of media content is stupid. ...Unless that media content explicitly concerns geology, a documentary on mineral composition of aquifers would be very different to a documentary on flying island weight distributions, but that still has nothing to do with where the author happened to be residing at the time...

It is neither location(no direct relevance to the actual media) nor artstyle nor whatever other thing you think it needs(Waaaaay too much variation to tie this down) nor is it some arbitrary relic of shared consciousness that just is("it is an elephant" doesn't say enough about the media to actually be used for any purpose whatsoever, the name would be completely useless)... It is thousands of tiny little quirks, most of which you never even noticed and are far from universal, but if they hit a critical mass then then anime happens. And more than that, it is finding something culturally distinctive and being enchanted by it. So please understand that you are, in fact, ALL wrong, and should ALL feel bad about making a thing out of this, then go find camaraderie consoling one another against a shared affront. You should all be able to agree that I am insane and unqualified to comment, that my arguments and position are self-evidently false, and that I am generally unpleasant, so go have fun with that!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31099 on: January 13, 2018, 06:05:06 am »

Sooo, steering the talk back to anime. Anyone see Devilman Crybaby?

It's fucking excellent, wierd and hits hard. Easily goes into my top of the year. I have only two complaints, first is about anime VAs in general and how they should stick to Japanese, english (or any other language for that matter) sounds like someone with a stroke is trying to speak, breaks the immersion of the show entirely and is sometimes barely legible if you don't have the subs. Second issue is that due to the shortness of it (only 10 eps) it feels a bit rushed in certain places, it could've easily had 5-10 more episodes, both to flesh out certain supporting characters as well as some of the villians, since it kinda builds it all up nicely for five eps and then blazes trough a bunch of stuff in the last five.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31100 on: January 13, 2018, 01:37:43 pm »

Is anyone in it a crybaby?
Because I don’t watch no Shinji. No. 1 on my list of dislikes.

On a similar but seperate note Blend-S has lost a little charm because items 2 and 3 are “Idol characters” and traps both which in one character makes me kind of ready to drop the series if she keeps being a “focus” character.

Definitely on the lookout for a Shounen or Seinen of acceptable quality now that MHA is tapped out for another season.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31101 on: January 13, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »

There is some crying yes, but for the most part justified and nowhere near as irritating as Shinji. The protag cries at times, but it's not whiny crying like Shinji, more like, holy shit this is so fucked I literally cannot react in a coherent manner.

Also forgot to add that the show is pretty goddamn graphic at times, so might not be for the faint of heart.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31102 on: January 13, 2018, 04:54:46 pm »

I've sort of rediscovered Watamote, at least in manga form this time.  Apparently, the comic goes on plot-wise a lot longer than the anime did, which ends up making the overall story slightly less depressing.

Really my enjoyment of it boils down to me laughing at myself.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31103 on: January 13, 2018, 05:42:23 pm »

This guy negatively reviewed Watamote, and called it "mean-spirited"

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/08/the-most-mean-spirited-anime-i-have-ever-watched/

Which is what I think he might have missed. You're meant to identify with Tomoko.

Quote from: Kotaku
And as all the jokes in the series are at her expense, the show really comes off as "let's make fun of the girl with a crippling psychological disorder."

Well no reviewer-guy, it's aimed at otaku who identify with those traits, it's just dialled up to 11 by the writer, because that's how you do it. I don't think this author really understands "pathos".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:44:53 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31104 on: January 13, 2018, 08:34:11 pm »

This guy negatively reviewed Watamote, and called it "mean-spirited"

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/08/the-most-mean-spirited-anime-i-have-ever-watched/

Which is what I think he might have missed. You're meant to identify with Tomoko.

Quote from: Kotaku
And as all the jokes in the series are at her expense, the show really comes off as "let's make fun of the girl with a crippling psychological disorder."

Well no reviewer-guy, it's aimed at otaku who identify with those traits, it's just dialled up to 11 by the writer, because that's how you do it. I don't think this author really understands "pathos".
I do remember that viewpoint being derided back when it was topical, but really, what do you expect from Kotaku?

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #31105 on: January 13, 2018, 10:08:37 pm »

...Ah fuckit, imma just go watch Hellsing for the thousandth time.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31106 on: January 14, 2018, 09:08:51 am »

I just now realised Kotaku isn't named Otaku.
Love, scriver~

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31107 on: January 14, 2018, 01:16:05 pm »

Daily reminder that Kotaku is an overgrown blog and you shouldn't use it. If you're looking for gaming news and reviews, go to Polygon; if you want articles, Waypoint has you covered. If you want anime news... okay, I don't actually follow anime news, but surely Kotaku can't be the best site out there. Maybe Anime News Network? I'm still kinda skeeved about them editing someone's article to be more nazi-positive, though...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:20:05 pm by Elephant Parade »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31108 on: January 14, 2018, 07:43:41 pm »

I was going to make an unproductive comment about the exact definition of anime but than the anime thread would ended up in my new replies to your posts page and I don't want that because I don't like anime.
Wait shit.
(PTW)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31109 on: January 15, 2018, 04:43:37 am »

Daily reminder that Kotaku is an overgrown blog and you shouldn't use it. If you're looking for gaming news and reviews, go to Polygon; if you want articles, Waypoint has you covered. If you want anime news... okay, I don't actually follow anime news, but surely Kotaku can't be the best site out there. Maybe Anime News Network? I'm still kinda skeeved about them editing someone's article to be more nazi-positive, though...
Wasn't Polygon one of the sites implicated in the whole spin-coordinating scandal a few years ago, or am I misremembering?
Pages: 1 ... 2072 2073 [2074] 2075 2076 ... 2193