Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2054 2055 [2056] 2057 2058 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066007 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30825 on: September 08, 2017, 12:56:30 pm »

DBZ had a large hand in shaping the shounen genre.

But it is also shounen at its worst.

I thought bleach was shounen at its worst :-/
No, Naruto is shounen at it's worst. :P
The main series, or the filler episodes?

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30826 on: September 08, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »

I never really watched Narauto and I stopped watching Bleach shortly after its first arc (which was decent) , but I do know Dragonball z had atrocious pacing that gets worse and worse.

Dragonball kai made me realize that it wasn't just the filler scenes, its just how bad the fights themselves were paced.

But yeah, atrocious pacing is one of the worst aspect of the longer modern shounen series.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30827 on: September 08, 2017, 10:00:04 pm »

Yeesh. I haven't been on this thread since October 2012 back on page 848.

I'm starting to watch Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Ilya. Apparently, it's been going strong for a while. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw a trailer on youtube for, I think, the third movie. I'm 4 episodes in, and it seems like a nice lighthearted reconstruction kind of series. After having Madoka Magica to compare it to, it's a welcome tone shift. Also, given that it's set in the nasuverse, I'm sure that the crunch of how the magic stuff works is going to be satisfying to see.

I still remember seeing the images of the manga when it first started, and assuming it was some kind of april fool's joke. I read through some of the manga, but don't think I finished any major storylines.

Earlier this year I watched through KonoSuba and had a lot of fun with it. I'm finishing up the light novels right now.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30828 on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »

I think the major reason Prisma Ilya isn't more popular is that it's steeped in lolicon fanservice to the point I literally just saw a webm of two young girls making out with tongue while naked, sourced from the show. As a third nude loli watched.

I mean holy shit that's really heavy fanservice and I dunno if it even qualifies as fanservice if it's borderline hentai. Like, this is beyond ecchi levels of lewd here.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #30829 on: September 09, 2017, 03:36:11 pm »

I think the major reason Prisma Ilya isn't more popular is that it's steeped in lolicon fanservice to the point I literally just saw a webm of two young girls making out with tongue while naked, sourced from the show. As a third nude loli watched.

I mean holy shit that's really heavy fanservice and I dunno if it even qualifies as fanservice if it's borderline hentai. Like, this is beyond ecchi levels of lewd here.

Do they not care about alienating the audience?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30830 on: September 09, 2017, 05:32:09 pm »

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya has lasted 4 seasons plus a movie, which is far longer than the average cute-girl x things ensemble show does. If they'd played it safe it wouldn't have "alienated the audience", however ... it would probably have only lasted the typical 1-2 seasons instead, so do the math on that. Anime is a business, if you're not buying the DVDs and merch they couldn't give a fuck how alienated you are.

Western shows are all designed to be consumed by the widest possible audience, but that has both good and bad to it, whereas anime tends to be marketed to specific niches, so in that way they're more like video games are marketed in the West than they are like American TV shows.

e.g. there are plenty of fujoshi anime where two guys have make-outs on a regular basis: that's seriously alienating a lot of the "potential" audience, or consider Keijo, the anime about boob/ass-fighting. That's alienating a lot of the "theoretical" audience right there, but if you watered it down for mass-appeal, a lot of the actual appeal would be removed. Mainstream anime that appeals to everyone is over-saturated, they need niches to get sales.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:23:41 pm by Reelya »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30831 on: September 09, 2017, 06:52:44 pm »

So it was recommended that I bring discussion of Vampire Hunter D here. Have any of you looked into the series and I rather disappointed with the way the every now and then we keep being promised new films are comics the end up getting canceled with little in the way of information as to exactly what has occurred?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30832 on: September 09, 2017, 08:22:48 pm »

Considering the audience is comprised mostly of people who want to see Ilya be be sexually abused by a chocolate loli... sure. They aren't alienating any of the intended audience.

It's lolicon pandering. Just taken to a silly degree - but I guess there's enough of the right kind of pervert out there to make back a profit so it works. It don't effect me - I don't watch the show -  and it doesn't effect real girls, so I'm not bothered by it. If people want to watch Ilya fug then let Ilya fug. *shrug*
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30833 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:55 pm »

So it was recommended that I bring discussion of Vampire Hunter D here. Have any of you looked into the series and I rather disappointed with the way the every now and then we keep being promised new films are comics the end up getting canceled with little in the way of information as to exactly what has occurred?
The first two movies were alright in an artsy kind of way, but it doesn't surprise me that they don't think they can pull off a third. It doesn't really have anything you can't get elsewhere going for it, has a few problems alongside that, and from what I can tell even that much probably came from going off the rails from the original source.

Offhand, I recently-ish saw Castlevania, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what another chapter of D could do that C couldn't. I have no such difficulties figuring out what more C could do that D would struggle with.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30834 on: September 09, 2017, 11:45:59 pm »

The first two movies were alright in an artsy kind of way, but it doesn't surprise me that they don't think they can pull off a third. It doesn't really have anything you can't get elsewhere going for it, has a few problems alongside that, and from what I can tell even that much probably came from going off the rails from the original source.

Offhand, I recently-ish saw Castlevania, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what another chapter of D could do that C couldn't. I have no such difficulties figuring out what more C could do that D would struggle with.

So you never read any of the books the? A chapter of D, could go to space I don't think castlevania has tried that :-P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #30835 on: September 10, 2017, 12:33:21 am »

So you never read any of the books the? A chapter of D, could go to space I don't think castlevania has tried that :-P
I have not, though what little I've heard of them (as differences in the movies) doesn't fill me with confidence.

I don't doubt D could go to space, but I doubt what it could accomplish once it got there. Ancient fallen empire style stuff could be cool, I suppose, but even then I feel like D himself would suck a lot of the danger and wonder out of it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30836 on: September 10, 2017, 02:25:19 am »

Do you always ends up in the stories, but I never felt that he was the central focus of it, so much as he is an event that ends up causing other events to happen now and then,  people still get killed and wonderful and horrible things still happen when he's not around, and we do get to see this in the books, mostly a recall him just being around to move the plot forward.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30837 on: September 10, 2017, 04:59:51 am »

Considering the audience is comprised mostly of people who want to see Ilya be be sexually abused by a chocolate loli... sure. They aren't alienating any of the intended audience.

It's lolicon pandering. Just taken to a silly degree - but I guess there's enough of the right kind of pervert out there to make back a profit so it works. It don't effect me - I don't watch the show -  and it doesn't effect real girls, so I'm not bothered by it. If people want to watch Ilya fug then let Ilya fug. *shrug*
The folks who were watching prior to uh, chapter 34 or 35 in the manga (I think?) you would have a point, but that's before everything goes full GAR too.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30838 on: September 10, 2017, 04:32:28 pm »

GAR?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30839 on: September 10, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »

Mutated meme I think, something like someone on 4chan was saying they were gay for kamina but it came out gar for kamina and gar started getting used to describe shit being over the top and awesome with an emotional punch.
Pages: 1 ... 2054 2055 [2056] 2057 2058 ... 2193