Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066355 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30720 on: July 21, 2017, 05:12:02 am »

Amusingly, the abridged series is fantastic.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30721 on: July 21, 2017, 05:44:40 am »

Actually a lot of poor twists could be done well with the right foreshadowing. The failures usually come from being too obvious or out of left field.
I think the ideal twist is one you don't see coming at all at the time, but is hilariously obvious in hindsight. For obvious reasons, this is incredibly hard to pull off and completely subjective to each person.

I think the only way to do something like that with any sense of consistency is to deliberately place red herrings everywhere, and I mean everywhere, so even the savviest of watchers can't forecast what is going to happen if only for the overabundance of evidence that points in every conceivable way the story could possibly go.
Flip Flappers kind of did that, although a lot of the herrings were actually thematic art things and everything did fit together at the end, it you had the academic background to understand all the parts. Or spoke online to people who collectively shared enough knowledge. So that's another route to success in foreshadowing without giving things away, but in that particular case, it wound up with a lot of people saying it made no sense and the market doesn't like it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30722 on: July 21, 2017, 07:13:41 am »

Amusingly, the abridged series is fantastic.
^

If you're going to watch it at all, watch SAO Abridged. Not only is it much funnier, it also has a more interesting plot and better-developed characters.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30723 on: July 21, 2017, 11:26:54 am »

Actually don't watch the main anime because I did and it ruined the abridged series for me. As in I can't stomach having to sit through the anime again.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30724 on: July 21, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »

Opposite for me, I sat through and hated the anime and the abridged series makes it so much more bearable.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30725 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:05 am »

Who even watches SAO these days? I know it was popular with the overly romantic teens a few years back, but these days even the tweens in my summer camp are over it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30726 on: July 22, 2017, 01:46:15 am »

The master trick is to watch Mahouka first, then SAO right after, it will feel like a masterpiece in comparison.

I know some people who unironically love SAO, though, it totally depends on the person I guess.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:49:34 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30727 on: July 22, 2017, 10:41:37 am »

I mean, the actual SAO part of SAO isn't terrible as far as haremshit power fantasies go. It actually could have been interesting if they just stayed in Aincrad for the entire series and it focused more on Kirito and Asuna developing as a couple, the complications of long-term life in an MMO, progress slowing down more and more as the enemies become more dangerous and intelligent, delving more into Yui and Cardinal. Give some Kayaba-centered material where he's reflecting on and reconsidering his motivations.

Basically leaven it with some .hack and maybe throw in a little Legendary Moonlight Sculptor for a conclusion when the survivors finally get out and have to recover from a multi-year coma trying to reintegrate into society.

That's kinda the thing, there's a lot of room to tell interesting stories about being stuck in MMOs, it's just that it's also a really easy shortcut for lazy self-insert trash. LMS, .hack, Log Horizon, Grimgar, Overlord-there's plenty of series that include elements that are genuinely fresh and fun, the trick is just in building one that avoids all of the bad shit and actually operates with an understanding of how MMOs and their players work/behave (which is one of the biggest failings of SAO).

Here's one half-assed idea I had for that sort of plot in a SF-fantasy setting: a research institute is preparing for an upcoming reality break that'll fuck with physical laws and introduce magical corruption into the world on a scale likely to disrupt modern civilization beyond repair. So they establish safe site facilities, fill them with semi-suspended animation equipment, and build up towards announcing a full-dive MMO upcoming, with a whitelisted beta test of, say, 50,000 people, and use that to recruit players.

It's advertised as a paid 1-week trial where applicants will be playtesting on-site with company devices prior to testing with more limited home devices, with players receiving financial compensation for their time. They get in, pods seal... and they are stuck in the "game" for however long it takes for the reality break to occur and largely stabilize. The game itself is a hardcore Souls-like with sharp caps on abilities which approximate peak human conditioning, substantial death penalties to discourage suicide-running, and high incentive for cooperative play; the VR pods allow for a degree of force-feedback and movement to enforce ongoing physical activity (to tone, avoid atrophy, build stamina, &c.) with individually regulated nutrient feeds and a slowed aging process.

Basically, the idea is to safekeep a sustainable population of relatively young people while maximizing their physical condition and experience, so that when they pop out they're primed to fight and survive with primitive tools in a hostile, magic-rich environment. Once that happens the story shifts gears into the characters dealing with the trauma of that big lie, associated issues, and the struggles of trying to rebuild civilization on a semi-deathworld. Thoughts?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30728 on: July 22, 2017, 12:04:34 pm »

You're going to need a bigger season for all that. 3 seasons won't be enough.  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30729 on: July 22, 2017, 12:32:52 pm »

Thought: raise the ability caps, because whirling around a Greatsword literally bigger than your entire body is both mandatory for Soulslikes and not within the limits of peak human conditioning. :P
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30730 on: July 22, 2017, 12:35:55 pm »

I mean, the actual SAO part of SAO isn't terrible as far as haremshit power fantasies go. It actually could have been interesting if they just stayed in Aincrad for the entire series and it focused more on Kirito and Asuna developing as a couple, the complications of long-term life in an MMO, progress slowing down more and more as the enemies become more dangerous and intelligent, delving more into Yui and Cardinal. Give some Kayaba-centered material where he's reflecting on and reconsidering his motivations.

Basically leaven it with some .hack and maybe throw in a little Legendary Moonlight Sculptor for a conclusion when the survivors finally get out and have to recover from a multi-year coma trying to reintegrate into society.

That's kinda the thing, there's a lot of room to tell interesting stories about being stuck in MMOs, it's just that it's also a really easy shortcut for lazy self-insert trash. LMS, .hack, Log Horizon, Grimgar, Overlord-there's plenty of series that include elements that are genuinely fresh and fun, the trick is just in building one that avoids all of the bad shit and actually operates with an understanding of how MMOs and their players work/behave (which is one of the biggest failings of SAO).

Here's one half-assed idea I had for that sort of plot in a SF-fantasy setting: a research institute is preparing for an upcoming reality break that'll fuck with physical laws and introduce magical corruption into the world on a scale likely to disrupt modern civilization beyond repair. So they establish safe site facilities, fill them with semi-suspended animation equipment, and build up towards announcing a full-dive MMO upcoming, with a whitelisted beta test of, say, 50,000 people, and use that to recruit players.

It's advertised as a paid 1-week trial where applicants will be playtesting on-site with company devices prior to testing with more limited home devices, with players receiving financial compensation for their time. They get in, pods seal... and they are stuck in the "game" for however long it takes for the reality break to occur and largely stabilize. The game itself is a hardcore Souls-like with sharp caps on abilities which approximate peak human conditioning, substantial death penalties to discourage suicide-running, and high incentive for cooperative play; the VR pods allow for a degree of force-feedback and movement to enforce ongoing physical activity (to tone, avoid atrophy, build stamina, &c.) with individually regulated nutrient feeds and a slowed aging process.

Basically, the idea is to safekeep a sustainable population of relatively young people while maximizing their physical condition and experience, so that when they pop out they're primed to fight and survive with primitive tools in a hostile, magic-rich environment. Once that happens the story shifts gears into the characters dealing with the trauma of that big lie, associated issues, and the struggles of trying to rebuild civilization on a semi-deathworld. Thoughts?

That actually sounds cool, so it's not really about the 'game', that's just the front for the real story, where it's actually something of a training simulator. Would all the characters be the typical videogame-playing trash demographics? Cause it'd be the best if all the applicants for this 'game tester job' were social outcast archetypes: The weeaboo neckbeard guy where virtual things are just his life and hobby to the exclusion of everything else, the poor failing college kid who's isolated and stressed out, the latchkey kid manchild that is still dependent on videogames for emotional support, those kind of characters. And those characters are thrown in this world, and a lot of drama happens because reasons, and then at the climax of that drama they get thrown out into the real world, and now have to resolve their issues with actual life-or-death stakes on the line.

My beef with the 'videogame anime' genre is that that 'medieval fantasy mmo' seems utterly played out to death, and there seems to be very little originality, and my default response has become "Give these shows a wide berth" because I feel they're using the premise and setting as a crutch to lure in children and naive people that just want an anime about people in a videogame world. I mean, I feel they could be doing SO MUCH with the idea of people in videogames, but they don't do it. Here was my idea after thinking about it for a little bit:

It's not an MMO, and there isn't any deep dive where people are just trapped in the game, but the game is a lifelike virtual reality. It's not an action oriented game, but a 'dating simulator' in that it's kinda like if a dating website like Match.com invested heavily into using VR in order to use 'virtual dates' as a romantic step-in before meeting in real life, so both parties have the added safety of using avatars, it being in a highly controlled environment, the actual virtual setting being anywhere they can imagine, and just being an option for people in long distance relationships. The game would just be short instances where two people match up randomly or behorehand to go on a virtual date, or just hang out together. The story would follow a romantically hopeless guy as he uses the game to meet someone new every episode, from the basic no frills girl who's just lonely, to the tech rat that has modified their game files to do cool stuff in the game, to the highly sexual woman that is way way way too hardcore for the MC, to the married woman that uses the game as a 'social interaction crutch' for her failing marriage, to the foreign girl that is an accidental error by the matchmaking software (so her and the MC don't speak the same language) but she happens to the most compatible with our MC even though they can't speak, to the guy that is just pretending to be a girl by using a female avatar and voice changer... and the show would just go on like that, with each episode being it's own self-contained story, but the show details the MC's emotional and personal development, because the hook is that it seems the MC will find the girl he wants through this service, but the catch is that the show is actually about his own development as a person by interacting with these people.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:58:57 pm by JoshuaFH »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30731 on: July 22, 2017, 03:52:53 pm »

A twist we should have all seen coming and fuck your spoilers if you don't know it yet: Aizen was actually a good guy pretending to be a bad guy pretending to be a good guy so he could get the mc all hyped up when the bad guy who is actually the bad guy shows up and is like RAWR IMMA EAT ALL THE POWERMONS and bullshits half the cast into non-existence before the good-but-pretending-be-bad-pretending-to-be-good guy shows up and is like hey man don't worry if he's your real dad and I'm basically your creepy uncle at this point, just remember the most important thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30732 on: July 22, 2017, 04:40:17 pm »

A twist we should have all seen coming and fuck your spoilers if you don't know it yet: Aizen was actually a good guy pretending to be a bad guy pretending to be a good guy so he could get the mc all hyped up when the bad guy who is actually the bad guy shows up and is like RAWR IMMA EAT ALL THE POWERMONS and bullshits half the cast into non-existence before the good-but-pretending-be-bad-pretending-to-be-good guy shows up and is like hey man don't worry if he's your real dad and I'm basically your creepy uncle at this point, just remember the most important thing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have always wondered why some people didn't realize Bleach was shit long before that.

I mean some people have to watch that for it to continue that long, right?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30733 on: July 22, 2017, 07:05:09 pm »

Nope, the anime ended a long time before the manga finished.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30734 on: July 22, 2017, 10:11:15 pm »

Hey a new version of Kino's Journey has been announced to start in October! Mostly different staff to the original however. I'm looking at the new director and scriptwriter, they haven't worked on anything particularly good, unfortunately, but the original character designer of Kino's Journey is on board with the project.

Note this is listed as an alternate version on MAL, so I'm guessing it's a reboot that will modernize the look. I'm wondering whether this is entirely superfluous or whether it will be a worthwhile thing to have.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:12:57 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2047 2048 [2049] 2050 2051 ... 2193