Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2043 2044 [2045] 2046 2047 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066885 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30660 on: June 28, 2017, 12:02:23 am »

I think the plot hole is more that the giant robot is perfectly capable of flying itself, which begs the question of why they don't just send robots to fight the wars in the first place. No need to have retreat option then. But it's the sort of plot hole you need to have, otherwise you don't have a story with humans in it.

Well to understand that you can look no further than the Japanese railway system which is technically capable of being fully automated. There is something to be gained from human decision making even when a AI is involved.

But on more Gundam related note. They have automated mobile suits many times before but the general consensus is that they are somewhat poor at strategizing and the ones that are good are basically super tech. Gundams have had AIs since the beginning but their job has mostly been to accentuate the pilot.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30661 on: June 28, 2017, 01:36:13 am »

I think the plot hole is more that the giant robot is perfectly capable of flying itself, which begs the question of why they don't just send robots to fight the wars in the first place. No need to have retreat option then. But it's the sort of plot hole you need to have, otherwise you don't have a story with humans in it.
I make the assumption that the AI needs a pilot in order to fuel it's development and act as a conscience.
But to that end, why not just have one supreme leader being the conscience for every gundam?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #30662 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:33 am »

Do you want Mobile Dolls?  Because that's how you get Mobile Dolls.  Mix with a direct MMI/predictive system run by Eyebrows von Blood Knight for extra fun. :P

Ah, but seriously, the problem then becomes picking out your supreme leader.  I mean, I'm not sure any of the Gundam 'verses have had a great track record with powerful singular supreme leaders in control of large armies; they tend to be a bit deficient in the "conscience" department, and I'd sum them up as malevolent and greedy.  The one I joked about above is probably one of the sole exceptions, but said exception was also a complete pacifist who refused to have a military at all and was quite peeved to find her advisors had gone behind her back on the matter.  Of course, you can't really say they've had a great track record with democratically-elected leaders operating on a consensus-based model of decision-making and governance either, I suppose; they tend to be stupid and greedy.  It might actually be smarter to try to code a benevolent AI to run the militaries of some of these polities, at least until it inevitably goes horribly wrong and tries to take over everything. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:06:48 am by Culise »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30663 on: June 28, 2017, 11:28:01 am »

This is where the newtypes would come in as they would be neurally attached to the gundam's system. Since they were evolved forms of humans they have a higher limit handling g-force limits in space since you know, high g maneuvers can make your brain explode. 

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #30664 on: June 28, 2017, 08:55:47 pm »

Sabagebu! is pretty freaking funny. MC is basically a sociopath, there's a rare example of the peaceful Yandere, and now they're going to deport the platypus back to Australia for illegal immigration.

And all this among some pretty decently animated gunfights for a Slice of Life.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30665 on: June 29, 2017, 08:23:40 am »

Yeah, seconding Sabagebu! Anyone who likes fast paced comedy should give it a look.

the weird thing about Sabagebu! is that it's "shoujo" because of the publication that picked the manga up, but it's more like slice of life comedies that are classified as shonen, e.g. Nichijou or Daily Lives of Highschool Boys are in the same genre. I checked ... and there isn't a single other similar series classified as shoujo. It just got picked up as a fluke it appears.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:49:54 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30666 on: June 29, 2017, 08:57:39 am »

Thirding Sabagebu!
Really enjoying it.
Basically Aoharu x Machinegun except there's less romance, it's less serious, there's yuri instead of yoai, oh and the main character's "strong sense of justice" is slightly tweaked and they don't say their own name twice every goddamn line.

So, y'know. Funny.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30667 on: June 30, 2017, 11:00:51 am »

Whelp...

Kado the Last Answer ended...

And I have to say, that last third (well KIND of like the last half) was kind of... Well it was something.

I didn't like the direction they took it and honestly you might as well throw out the start of the anime because the first episode has no bearing on the rest of the anime. It was a misdirection.

But if you like Pseudophilosophy it will whet your whistle.

I am mostly just disappointed personally. It started as a very interesting and unique anime and ended as a stereotypical (albeit not for today's anime) one.

---

With Kado and Little Witch Academia both done... and all my animes being gone (and still being haunted by the slow pacing of Legend of Galactic Heroes) it looks like I have no choice but to go back to the anime I love to hate... Kindaichi World's Worst Detective (AKA: Kindaichi Case Files)

Since I don't want to rewatch episodes I am going to start my list out fresh. I just have to think of good areas to give. I think I'll definitely make a number of times Kindaichi puts someone at unnecessary risk.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:29:57 am by Neonivek »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30668 on: July 02, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »

So, i saw the first episode of Fate/Apocrypha today. Let me get this straight:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:30:36 pm by Ghazkull »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30669 on: July 02, 2017, 03:33:16 pm »

Kado started as a very interesting and unique anime and ended as a stereotypical (albeit not for today's anime) one.
I'll agree with you on the disappointment, but at the same time I'm kind of glad they didn't pull a "Return from death" cop-out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30670 on: July 02, 2017, 04:52:48 pm »

In the process of cleaning I happened across a very tattered issue of Anime Insider, 2008 vintage. Features included the big-headlines new mecha shows (Code Geass and TTGL), and an article on a sleeper hit that might be coming across the Pacific soon (Darker Than Black). Feelsweirdman.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30671 on: July 04, 2017, 01:27:46 am »

Kado started as a very interesting and unique anime and ended as a stereotypical (albeit not for today's anime) one.
I'll agree with you on the disappointment, but at the same time I'm kind of glad they didn't pull a "Return from death" cop-out.

Actually it kind of hit the point where not pulling that cop-out makes less sense than pulling it.

We have the technology in real life that could have managed it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30672 on: July 08, 2017, 05:24:43 pm »

Alright alright ALRIGHT already! All this Jojo stuff on the internet has convinced me!
So what should start with? Read the manga? Or just watch the anime?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30673 on: July 08, 2017, 07:18:16 pm »

Be warned, it's one hell of a long manga, 118 volumes and still going. This makes it the 6th longest manga in existence. The 2012+ JoJo anime (112 episodes so far) currently covers up to volume 47 and will most likely continue in 2018.

The real question is do you think you'll be up for consuming the entire thing twice, and if not, which do you prefer, manga or anime?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:27:39 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30674 on: July 08, 2017, 07:29:12 pm »

Mind you, you could probably skip most of it due to a development that occurs later that flips the board.

Which I am dead sure is reversed... but someone only told me that as a way to make me never watch Jojo.
Pages: 1 ... 2043 2044 [2045] 2046 2047 ... 2193