Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2042 2043 [2044] 2045 2046 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066910 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30645 on: June 24, 2017, 07:22:14 am »

TN: "rice ball" means "jelly doughnut".

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30646 on: June 24, 2017, 07:39:10 am »

TN: "TN" means "torrid nutbuttering".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30647 on: June 24, 2017, 10:34:51 am »

When "Oniichan or Oneechan" is said, I prefer it pop up in subs rather than get translated to 'brother' or 'sister'. Something to do with the culture makes it jarring when it's used so freely
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30648 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:14 pm »

There's always jobs for translators dude.  I don't doubt you could make a decent wage translating, say, English to Portuguese so someone can sell a product in Brazil.
Depends on what you call a decent wage, I guess. Since adults were specified, I assumed it was a bit higher than you may be thinking, but I may be looking at this from a position of privilege. Of course, that's another important concern since translators are inherently multicultural, and can pick their favorite of two societies. This, perhaps, only accentuates the translator's options when it comes to picking better jobs than translator.

I will, however, concede that corporate translation jobs can be well paid. That's not the same as suggesting that your typical crunchyroll drone (the one making the official subs) is.

There's always jobs for translators dude.  I don't doubt you could make a decent wage translating, say, English to Portuguese so someone can sell a product in Brazil.

For most products you can just do a localization, which is to say, make shit up.  The fidget spinner for example, there's no reason to directly take any of the English marketing from that, you can just make your own marketing.  But actual translation is an art form and to be able to do a translation that is even slightly passable is a huge undertaking.  Its a balancing act between preserving the original meaning and sounding good in the main language, and there's no right way but many wrong ways.  You need good judgement and a deep understanding of two languages.  Of course the flip side of this is that there's a lot of people floating around that are bilingual and plenty of employers willing to accept a mediocre translation because they literally can't tell the difference.  But you know, average pay and difficulty finding work.  Its like any other industry.

What Neo was describing there wasn't an inaccurate sub, it was a cringe sub.  Official translators don't do crap like that because to them this is a paycheck.  Its a different mindset.

Nakama can be replaced with both Friend and Family.
And in context, it can be just so very slightly localized as crew. It's a bit of a slang/ebonic term when used as synonymous with Nakama, but the fact that they're on a ship permutes that to be less jarring. Unfortunately, also permutes it to make the meaning seem a bit weaker.

I don't know why some fansubs apparently feel the need not to translate "nakama". Sure, you need something closer than "friend" for that, but ... we have something just for that: "comrade". Nakama just isn't a uniquely Japanese concept, so idk why fansubbers apparently don't want to translate that one.
Comrade is correct if you look at meaning from a purely denotative perspective, but the connotation has been irrevocably colored by its association with the USSR.

Japanese doesn't even have spaces between words. Hence, word-breaks are arbitrary.
That absolutely doesn't follow. This is an issue of the Japanese writing system, not of the language itself. Japanese language is relatively similar to Indo-European languages in terms on the amount of meaning incorporated in a single word, and in the degree to which they're a meaningful thing that exists. Some languages aren't the same way, though they're generally not widely spoken and the most extreme cases tend to be in the extreme north of the world.

That doesn't change the fact that a phrase can be an appropriate translation for a word, and vice versa, but the writing system lacking the power to explicitly denote something doesn't mean that it's meaningless within the context of the language itself.

When "Oniichan or Oneechan" is said, I prefer it pop up in subs rather than get translated to 'brother' or 'sister'. Something to do with the culture makes it jarring when it's used so freely
True. In my culture as well, it's only rarely used outside of blood bonds, and then only to assert extreme (and, almost always, religious) fellowship. Japanese usage mostly relates to seniority, so it doesn't work well translated in that way; the implications about relationship are entirely different.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30649 on: June 24, 2017, 11:45:06 pm »

Unfortunately, also permutes it to make the meaning seem a bit weaker

Nakama isn't always used for that greater meaning, the emotional drive of it comes from the context.

In a similar way that English speakers might say "love you" instead of good bye as a banal token of affection (though typically only said by people who do love eachother, such as family, lovers, or close friends)

Or rather, it still needs to earn it. It isn't "Will you Marry Me" :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30650 on: June 25, 2017, 04:00:06 am »

I don't know why some fansubs apparently feel the need not to translate "nakama". Sure, you need something closer than "friend" for that, but ... we have something just for that: "comrade". Nakama just isn't a uniquely Japanese concept, so idk why fansubbers apparently don't want to translate that one.
Comrade is correct if you look at meaning from a purely denotative perspective, but the connotation has been irrevocably colored by its association with the USSR.

In my opinion it's probably fine ... given that the bulk of people who are current anime fans probably weren't even alive when the USSR existed. It's been long enough.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30651 on: June 25, 2017, 05:03:54 am »

In my opinion it's probably fine ... given that the bulk of people who are current anime fans probably weren't even alive when the USSR existed. It's been long enough.
Even if it's something like One Piece, I don't think anime is solely the purview of children as you imply. But even among the very young, the cultural impact of the cold war is still present. I had one of my students (who is thirteen) talking about it the other day. While he didn't know very much about the actual history, the superficial things – the memes of the era – are enduring things, and use of "comrade" is perhaps second only to "in Soviet Russia, the party finds you!" in this area. Language may potentially change a lot in twenty years, but it often doesn't, and when it does that doesn't mean it's changing back to how it was before; I would be surprised if the original connotation of "comrade" comes back unchanged.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #30652 on: June 25, 2017, 05:38:07 am »

The USSR was dissolved 26 years ago. I'd be very surprised if anyone under 30 remembers it at all, and I doubt anyone much under 40 that doesn't live in or near an ex-USSR country has significant memories of it as a place (memories of the Cold War, though, yes). Hardly an implication that anime is only watched by children.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30653 on: June 25, 2017, 05:48:22 am »

Hardly an implication that anime is only watched by children.

Well Japan is a major believer of the animation age ghetto.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30654 on: June 25, 2017, 06:22:15 pm »

The USSR was dissolved 26 years ago. I'd be very surprised if anyone under 30 remembers it at all, and I doubt anyone much under 40 that doesn't live in or near an ex-USSR country has significant memories of it as a place (memories of the Cold War, though, yes). Hardly an implication that anime is only watched by children.
I'm 36 (37? still 36 I think) and was weirdly into encyclopedia reading, and one of the biggest things I remember about the USSR is how little information was available about it at the time, particularly from the old early 60's brittanica set, but remembering it existing and the cold war ending is the reason why I tossed out a quip when randomly interviewed by a local news crew outside a library when Reagan died:
"Did you know Ronald Reagan just died? What are your thoughts on that?"
'Honestly, I'm surprised, I thought he was a cyborg.' *cameraman chuckled*
"Uh, and what would you say his biggest accomplishment was?"
'Breaking Russia.'
"Oh, ok, thanks."

Didn't make it on tv, I can't be trusted with a microphone in my face.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30655 on: June 25, 2017, 08:42:54 pm »

It's not a matter of remembering the place, but of remembering the culture at the time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30656 on: June 26, 2017, 02:19:37 am »

HOLY COW!!! Little Witch Academia just laid down a bomb in tonight's episode!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ohh and some other stuff happened I wasn't really paying attention. Probably wasn't important.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30657 on: June 26, 2017, 07:10:02 am »

Have had Gargantia Vedinous whatever on my feed for a while and always disdained it but finally decided to watch.
... Having issues with the whole AI concept. I feel like the pilot is kind of an irrelevant part of his gundam.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:35:15 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30658 on: June 27, 2017, 08:01:26 am »

Have had Gargantia Vedinous whatever on my feed for a while and always disdained it but finally decided to watch.
... Having issues with the whole AI concept. I feel like he's kind of an irrelevant part of his gundam.

You can't expect an adolescent to mind control a giant robot ALL the time, can you?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30659 on: June 27, 2017, 11:51:21 pm »

I think the plot hole is more that the giant robot is perfectly capable of flying itself, which begs the question of why they don't just send robots to fight the wars in the first place. No need to have retreat option then. But it's the sort of plot hole you need to have, otherwise you don't have a story with humans in it.
Pages: 1 ... 2042 2043 [2044] 2045 2046 ... 2193