Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067089 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30615 on: June 21, 2017, 08:04:56 am »

Goodness Dubbers...

For some reason I really enjoyed catching subbers notes in Zero No Tsukaima and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.

Depends on what they are. I watched a really annoying one recently who liked to include messages about how awesome the main character was... Where dialog should be... during action scenes.

I guess it should be that I don't want translators to supply commentary.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30616 on: June 21, 2017, 08:31:00 am »

My favorite is still the character "Josephine Polly Nyack" of the wealthy "Nyack" family in the subs for this rally-driving anime. (the name was fairly obviously Josephine Polniac).

https://myanimelist.net/anime/9646/Goddamn

Also tips to the worst review here. The reviewer guy was mainly upset that the cars in the rally anime weren't correct for 1993 when it was supposedly set, pointing out that the cars were more like something from the mid/late 1980s, which is a clear "historical error". Except it's based on a manga written in 1988.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:34:14 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30617 on: June 21, 2017, 10:38:19 am »

I will say I HATE garbage subs.

To all translators... No one appreciates your extra messages between lines. Unless they are a translator note about some esoteric Japanese or other concept that is important that the viewer might not know... I don't want to hear your extra blurb about how dang indestructible the main character is. No one thinks it is funny, everyone thinks your a twat... Stop it!

But that is just my complaint of "Garbage Subs"

For bad Non-garbage subs. It is complicated, I've definitely noticed splotchy translations before.

Tip: If someone has a name the audience can hear, and it uses a R or L... Use the letter that sounds correct. Your audience are English speakers and it is jarring to see "Rina" on a character named "Lina" even if Rina is "technically" more accurate.
There are some cases where shitsubs add to the character of the show, though. If it's done well and not passed off as something it isn't, it can be fun. See a certain famous Jojo subgroup. On the other hand, when subbers add their humor and pretend it's a legitimate release, that's a different story, especially when it's not funny in the first place. See for a recent example, Gabriel Dropout.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30618 on: June 21, 2017, 12:52:19 pm »

Not unless you play with very strange variant rules regarding queens.
Oh, I didn't have it zoomed in enough, looked like they were putting the king down for a failed king+knight mate.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30619 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:36 pm »

Crunchyroll on Steam? Wut?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30620 on: June 21, 2017, 04:20:19 pm »

I will say I HATE garbage subs.

To all translators... No one appreciates your extra messages between lines. Unless they are a translator note about some esoteric Japanese or other concept that is important that the viewer might not know... I don't want to hear your extra blurb about how dang indestructible the main character is. No one thinks it is funny, everyone thinks your a twat... Stop it!

But that is just my complaint of "Garbage Subs"

For bad Non-garbage subs. It is complicated, I've definitely noticed splotchy translations before.

Tip: If someone has a name the audience can hear, and it uses a R or L... Use the letter that sounds correct. Your audience are English speakers and it is jarring to see "Rina" on a character named "Lina" even if Rina is "technically" more accurate.
I would put it out there that when it comes to fan subs you get what you pay for.  The crowd that knows both Japanese and English often includes young weebs with poor judgement, and/or people who are fluent in one language only.  The truth of the matter is that translation is very difficult to do properly and both languages are finicky.  Being an adult that is fluent in both Japanese and English means that you almost automatically have a paid job waiting for you somewhere and who wants to spend their time off doing their job for free?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30621 on: June 21, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »

Which would be fine but they are also overly emotional people who get really mad if you don't appreciate their joke.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30622 on: June 22, 2017, 02:48:42 am »

Weirdly I think it's overdue. Should make it really easy to actually buy anime, and now the Amekou can show support for the kinds of anime they like.
I mean, I somehow doubt it'll tip the odds on Rakugo vs Naruto in anywhere near a favourable way, but hey.
Not sure how I feel about two different middleman companies having their fingers in the pot though.
(Now if only the shitdick Australian company buying exclusive rights were happy to enter into a partnership too)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30623 on: June 23, 2017, 12:26:33 am »

I would put it out there that when it comes to fan subs you get what you pay for.
I don't think he's talking about fansubs. With a few exceptions (Commie) fansubs don't really suffer from this, while official subs may not go out of their way to mistranslate in the name of "humor", but they are often stilted, poorly thought out, or just plain inaccurate. Garbage subs aside, there's a spectrum of "trueness" to the source opposed to degree of modification (generally in the name of making things more intelligible to people of western culture) and a viewers preference may fall anywhere on that spectrum. Though fansubs at least have a consistent effort.

As for the issues of names specifically, I've definitely seen people being mad about official subs getting it wrong and not fixing it, while fansubbers at least tend to change mistakes.

Being an adult that is fluent in both Japanese and English means that you almost automatically have a paid job waiting for you somewhere and who wants to spend their time off doing their job for free?
Paid but shit though. An adult who's generally a competent person in a first world country is almost always going to be able to find a better paid job than translating from Japanese into English, in and depending on situation is likely to have difficulty finding a fulfilling job with decent conditions translating English to Japanese. Also, while I'll not contest that fansubbers are generally young, I do think late twenties and early thirties can be called adult when we're talking about employment, and a lot of fansubbers (most, I think) fall into that range. Manga translations are a different story in t hat regard, which I think shows in the product.
Which would be fine but they are also overly emotional people who get really mad if you don't appreciate their joke.
Still? I haven't noticed a lot of that recently, particularly since the somewhat overstated death of fansubbing.
Weirdly I think it's overdue. Should make it really easy to actually buy anime, and now the Amekou can show support for the kinds of anime they like.
I mean, I somehow doubt it'll tip the odds on Rakugo vs Naruto in anywhere near a favourable way, but hey.
Not sure how I feel about two different middleman companies having their fingers in the pot though.
(Now if only the shitdick Australian company buying exclusive rights were happy to enter into a partnership too)
We had 4kids and etc. on the television for years. Sticking crunchyroll on Steam isn't really revolutionary in terms of Americans impacting the market.

And considering there's a Naruto spinoff on offer but no Rakugo, I reckon it won't impact the weight on those shows favorably.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30624 on: June 23, 2017, 12:44:12 am »

There's always jobs for translators dude.  I don't doubt you could make a decent wage translating, say, English to Portuguese so someone can sell a product in Brazil.

For most products you can just do a localization, which is to say, make shit up.  The fidget spinner for example, there's no reason to directly take any of the English marketing from that, you can just make your own marketing.  But actual translation is an art form and to be able to do a translation that is even slightly passable is a huge undertaking.  Its a balancing act between preserving the original meaning and sounding good in the main language, and there's no right way but many wrong ways.  You need good judgement and a deep understanding of two languages.  Of course the flip side of this is that there's a lot of people floating around that are bilingual and plenty of employers willing to accept a mediocre translation because they literally can't tell the difference.  But you know, average pay and difficulty finding work.  Its like any other industry.

What Neo was describing there wasn't an inaccurate sub, it was a cringe sub.  Official translators don't do crap like that because to them this is a paycheck.  Its a different mindset.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30625 on: June 23, 2017, 01:04:37 am »

There's always jobs for translators dude.  I don't doubt you could make a decent wage translating, say, English to Portuguese so someone can sell a product in Brazil.

For most products you can just do a localization, which is to say, make shit up.  The fidget spinner for example, there's no reason to directly take any of the English marketing from that, you can just make your own marketing.  But actual translation is an art form and to be able to do a translation that is even slightly passable is a huge undertaking.  Its a balancing act between preserving the original meaning and sounding good in the main language, and there's no right way but many wrong ways.  You need good judgement and a deep understanding of two languages.  Of course the flip side of this is that there's a lot of people floating around that are bilingual and plenty of employers willing to accept a mediocre translation because they literally can't tell the difference.  But you know, average pay and difficulty finding work.  Its like any other industry.

What Neo was describing there wasn't an inaccurate sub, it was a cringe sub.  Official translators don't do crap like that because to them this is a paycheck.  Its a different mindset.

Nakama can be replaced with both Friend and Family.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30626 on: June 23, 2017, 07:15:41 am »

I don't know why some fansubs apparently feel the need not to translate "nakama". Sure, you need something closer than "friend" for that, but ... we have something just for that: "comrade". Nakama just isn't a uniquely Japanese concept, so idk why fansubbers apparently don't want to translate that one.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30627 on: June 23, 2017, 07:41:00 am »

Because weeb.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #30628 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:11 am »

Translator's note: Kawaii means cute

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30629 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:43 am »

Nakama falls under the sort of "We have that too, we just don't have a word that exclusively means that"

It would be like if a language had a word that meant "lightly salted", it is true! we do not have a word that means lightly salted.
Pages: 1 ... 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 ... 2193