Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2039 2040 [2041] 2042 2043 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067071 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30600 on: June 20, 2017, 08:12:33 am »

For me IMO the only way a Dub beats a Sub is if A) There's a Scotsman or B) The setting is bilingual
B requires the dubbers pull it off. Dubbed Black Lagoon in the Japan arc was fucking horrendous. Don't even wanna know what dubbed Beck is like
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30601 on: June 20, 2017, 08:35:34 am »

Dubbed Beck is a mixed bag.

The metal/rapper guy who was the band's first vocalist is better in the dub than subs (It's a genre of music that works better in English). However ... the singer for the main character Koyuki, he's more annoying in the American version than the Japanese one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30602 on: June 20, 2017, 08:43:49 am »

... honestly, sometimes I prefer even a mediocre sub to a great dub. Occasionally I just don't want to hear goddamn english for a while, and I read quickly and comfortably enough there's little to no difference in comprehension and whatnot.

Incidentally, a similar phenomena is why I'm a lot more lenient with vocals in a language I can't understand, music wise. Somewhat harder to tell if or how badly they're screwing up, and often enough the actual content of the lyrics is an active detriment to enjoying the bit of music. There's times you're better off not knowing what the translation is or if what you're reading is actually accurate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30603 on: June 20, 2017, 08:48:55 am »

Unless the dub is gratingly awful and impossible to watch, it really depends on what I hear first, because whenever I try the other one I'll think "that's not their voice" the whole time.

Also, I have a theory that it's harder to hear bad acting in other languages. Maybe I just tune out the voice when I'm reading subs, though.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30604 on: June 20, 2017, 09:00:30 am »

My theory of choice is that anime is more hammy than western drama, and English VA's have a hard time picking that up. It always sounds forced or fake when an American is doing it.
(Also, americanized japanese names hurt me. Don't call Mochihiro-san 'MohcheeHeeroh')
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #30605 on: June 20, 2017, 09:57:42 am »

Also, I have a theory that it's harder to hear bad acting in other languages. Maybe I just tune out the voice when I'm reading subs, though.
Nah, I'm like 90% sure that's true. If you're not familiar enough with a language to pick out certain things being off, it's harder to tell if someone's screwing up. Are they mispronouncing or stumbling over every third word? Is it a dialect, affectation intentional or otherwise? Hell if you know, and things can be better than way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30606 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:40 am »

For me...

Great Dub > Sub
Sub > Mediocre Dub

Yeah I am not Japanese but that is an advantage.
I agree, and since the general industry standard for dubs is "use the same dozen absolute shit VAs always", that boils down to always watch subs. Only so many times I can hear the same middle aged woman overacting a little girl in falsetto before I say "fuck it, this should at least be in a language I don't know".

Plus, dubbers tend to take a lot longer than subbers to get the product out.

My theory of choice is that anime is more hammy than western drama, and English VA's have a hard time picking that up. It always sounds forced or fake when an American is doing it.
(Also, americanized japanese names hurt me. Don't call Mochihiro-san 'MohcheeHeeroh')
You clearly haven't watched American teen drama. That's the western equivalent of most anime and it's hammy as fuck.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30607 on: June 20, 2017, 07:52:23 pm »

You know, whenever the next Macross show gets made, I really hope they take the musical theme in the direction of Babymetal. Dunno why I the thought hadn't occurred to me before, but that sounds like it'd be pretty nice.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30608 on: June 21, 2017, 04:26:52 am »

Fuck you Ikari
One can fetishize things that are considered normal. There is a great variety of spectacular kinks that include fixations upon singular objects and traits, most due to association with sexual acts. One can focus upon certain aspects of masculinity and, in a manner easily described as "Deviant", fetishize it.

Checkmate, Bin't'ch
Isn't that just a stalemate?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #30609 on: June 21, 2017, 05:32:41 am »

Not unless you play with very strange variant rules regarding queens.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30610 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:38 am »

I play chess with the Pruderule, by which the queen is only allowed to take the king in private, with the lights out. Definitely with one of his knights watching.

About sub/dub discussion, I only really have one thing to say in regards to anime. When I watched the FMA Brotherhood series recently I saw most in subtitles and some episodes dubbed. I ended up watching the rest subbed because I liked the voice acting better, but I did find the translation work in the dub much superior to the subbed version. I hadn't thought much of it before I watched the dub episodes but afterwards I couldn't unsee how awful, stilted, and bad-word-choiced and just plain weird the subtitles were.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30611 on: June 21, 2017, 07:26:39 am »

Heh, something that could possibly explain that is that FMA: Brotherhood was one of the first "simulcast" subbed animes, and the first ever by Funimation. CrunchyRoll had simulcast a handful of shows from 2008-2009, but with FMA: Brotherhood no less than three other distributors suddenly decided that they wanted into this "simulcast" thing, they all outbid CrunchyRoll, and they each assembled inexperienced subbing teams to speed-sub the thing in an arms race. With predictable "quality" results, it seems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_anime_simulcasts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullmetal_Alchemist:_Brotherhood

On March 20, 2009, it was announced that the English title of the series was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and that it would receive its English language premiere on Animax Asia, with Japanese audio and English subtitles, from April 10, 2009, at 8:30 p.m., five days after its Japanese premiere. On April 3, 2009, Funimation announced they would stream English subtitled episodes four days after they air in Japan. Madman Entertainment would also stream it "within days" of the episodes airing in Japan.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:37:40 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30612 on: June 21, 2017, 07:30:49 am »

Yeah I could definitely see stress or rush as a reason behind the translation quality.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30613 on: June 21, 2017, 07:42:20 am »

I will say I HATE garbage subs.

To all translators... No one appreciates your extra messages between lines. Unless they are a translator note about some esoteric Japanese or other concept that is important that the viewer might not know... I don't want to hear your extra blurb about how dang indestructible the main character is. No one thinks it is funny, everyone thinks your a twat... Stop it!

But that is just my complaint of "Garbage Subs"

For bad Non-garbage subs. It is complicated, I've definitely noticed splotchy translations before.

Tip: If someone has a name the audience can hear, and it uses a R or L... Use the letter that sounds correct. Your audience are English speakers and it is jarring to see "Rina" on a character named "Lina" even if Rina is "technically" more accurate.

-----

Also I am ASTOUNDED by how certain aspects of "Full Moon Wo Sagashite" and how they depict Shinigami are not made up.

Shinigami tend to be depicted in a very specific way nowadays. So I was surprised when the whole animal aspect, and a bunch of other spoiler worthy things is accurate to the mythology. HECK I am sure if I look hard enough even the ability to turn into toys or stuffed animals is probably some sort of esoteric Shinigami ability.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:47:35 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30614 on: June 21, 2017, 08:01:03 am »

You're* a twat.
For some reason I really enjoyed catching subbers notes in Zero No Tsukaima and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.
Also, Black Lagoon dubbers in again for the win, calling 'Revy' (Short for Rebecca) "Levy" because hurr durr must be L's.
Pages: 1 ... 2039 2040 [2041] 2042 2043 ... 2193