Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 [2037] 2038 2039 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067642 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30540 on: June 02, 2017, 07:28:58 pm »

Modern poor countries are definitely not steam punk. You have half the population toting smart phones around and the other half collecting cow dung to cook dinner with, and a whole lot of nothing between those extremes.
Heck, those halves aren't even mutually exclusive.  Without fixed network infrastructure, cell phone coverage fills in the gap by being cheap and easy to construct; all you need are towers and power.  90% of Kenya has GSM coverage and over two thirds have phones; for a country seen as less of a success story, Rwanda, Senegal, and Guinea are among those that have cracked the 50% coverage mark.  Half the population, for the curious, isn't even that far off the mark, either: even back in 2011, there were over 500 million cell phones in Africa to a population of one billion, though this includes people who own multiples.  This has had knock-on effects in both banking and internet penetration as well; a fifth of Kenya's GDP flows through a single money transfer service called M-PESA for everything from remittances to grocery bills, which has allowed many of these people access to a formal financial system that would otherwise be entirely out of reach.  The smart phone, far from a symbol of decadence and prosperity, has become the cheap, ubiquitous mode of communication it should have been from the start, and it will only improve from here. 

Definitely not steampunk, though; smart phones don't have enough gears or steam. :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:30:40 pm by Culise »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30541 on: June 02, 2017, 08:22:51 pm »

Modern poor countries are definitely not steam punk. You have half the population toting smart phones around and the other half collecting cow dung to cook dinner with, and a whole lot of nothing between those extremes.
More like five percent with recent smartphones, and a whole lot collecting cow dung and using an old nokia or fliphone. Maybe one for the family or one for the village, or maybe one per person. Just because they all look poor to western eyes doesn't mean that they're at the same wealth level.

The fact is, humanity's industrial rise was possible because of cheaply extractable resources. Next time around, after a collapse, then we don't get those resources again, geddit? We already grabbed almost all the cheap stuff, the remaining stuff is either far remote from large-population-supporting areas, or it's now so costly to extract that we need dedicated high-tech machinery and processes to make it cost-effective. That sort of specialized mining requires high levels of knowledge and infrastructure to maintain.
That's a good point, actually. An apocalypse will hasten our transition into a less affluent post-oil economy. That said, wind and water power are pretty simple to set up, you pretty much just use the same kind of wheel that has been used for millenia, but with a magnet and a bunch of wires instead of gears and a millstone. Even if we can't extract coal* or oil, or the necessary rare minerals for solar and nuclear, as long as everyone doesn't die we still have the potential to return to an advanced society. It might see decreased social complexity (which we're due for pretty soon anyway) but I just don't see how the kind of thing people focus on for these sorts of things would actually be realistic.

So the recovery gets up to the late medieval stage of development and then you have serious metal and fuel shortages preventing society from boostrapping another industrial revolution.
Well, I'd say that bootstrapping a second industrial revolution actually doesn't make sense even just for purely geopolitical reasons. You'd have to have a very affluent area with a big influx of raw materials and eager and captive markets, as Britain did. But not having a revolution doesn't mean it's impossible to have industry, it's just not necessarily going to be revolutionary.
In that scenario, instead of getting energy from fossil fuels, which allowed economic growth beyond feudal agriculture, you'd have to extract fuel energy from plants, which would mean diverting agricultural output into making fuels.
I really don't see why you'd turn to biofuels. Most of our modern manufacturing is electric anyway, and has been for ages. The only time this stuff gets difficult to manufacture is when you've got to deal with batteries. That stuff (which, unfortunately, includes vehicles and mobile phones) would definitely be impossible until/unless industrial capabilities are pretty much fully restored.
And people would starve if you tried to do that to boostrap "industrial revolution mark 2", so society might well be stuck in late-feudal type stage for a long, long time, but with smatterings of technology that have been preserved.
Well, the green revolution is something that really can't be un-done no matter what happens** so starvation isn't going to be like it once was and with a decreased population, there might well be adequate overproduction to play around with biofuels in the first generations after the apocalypse, which is going to be when oil matters most anyway, but that's mostly a matter of smoothing transitions. With enough infrastructure destroyed that fossil fuels are no longer viable, the powers that currently subsidize them will be hamstrung***, and competition between food and fuel will cause market forces to incentivize alternate solutions. And that'd mostly be wind.

*This is kind of a leap, yes the easiest stuff is already taken, but there's a whole heck of a lot of coal.
**short of something that causes the destruction of pretty much all life on earth, anyway.
***Expect, for example, violence in the middle east to spread to Arabia, which I imagine pretty much any apocalypse scenario would see badly harmed anyway, and as a result for the fertile hills of Iran to birth another empire.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30542 on: June 02, 2017, 10:33:07 pm »

So I just finished Hohzuki Island. It's a psychological horror about kids versus adults. The ending overturns a lot of what happens in the story but it kind of works? The main reason it was disappointing though is not enough time was spent with the characters reflecting on the twist or showing us how the characters' relationships altered after the conflict was resolved, but everything else was so gripping that it made up for it.

But that's not what I want to talk about. The weird thing is...

I started reading Mōryō no Yurikago and I didn't realize it was the same author. I recognized the style but I didn't bother to actually check this until I saw one of the exact characters from Hohzuki Island (she's unmistakable because she's blind and doesn't open her eyes) except now she's all grown up, and she even has the same name! What?! And now I'm reading this story wondering if these really are the same characters. The two who I recognize seem to have the same relationship and yet so far there's no connection to the original story. What gives?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:36:05 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30543 on: June 03, 2017, 12:15:32 am »

I kept wondering if Koe no Katachi was going to tie in with To You, The Immortal at some point but it didn't.

As for a post-apoc setting?

Well, spoiler alert, right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30544 on: June 03, 2017, 07:22:22 am »

Guys, Guys! I'm actually watching a current-season anime.

Busou Shoujo Machiavellian.

... Sadly the title drew me in with one word and made me not bother reading the others.
Cool as male power fantasies go, but not usually my cup of harem.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30545 on: June 03, 2017, 07:44:09 am »

That's kinda like Robot X Laserbeam "fuck yeah, sounds like my kinda... wait, golf?"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30546 on: June 03, 2017, 08:45:17 am »

I watched episode 1 of Busou Shoujo Machiavellian, couldn't hack any more than that. Gonna watch Frame Arms Girl though, because I'm a sucker for the Mecha Musume genre.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34427/Frame_Arms_Girl

It's about a girl and her pint-sized exo-skeleton robot girl pals.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:47:24 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30547 on: June 03, 2017, 12:32:06 pm »

I watched episode 1 of Busou Shoujo Machiavellian, couldn't hack any more than that. Gonna watch Frame Arms Girl though, because I'm a sucker for the Mecha Musume genre.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34427/Frame_Arms_Girl

It's about a girl and her pint-sized exo-skeleton robot girl pals.
I've heard people liking it, but between the cg and the heavy focus on advertising the product, I didn't care for the couple episodes I watched.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30548 on: June 04, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »

Had a tiny hope-flare that Vinland Saga had an anime adaption.
Oh well. It's coming, I'm sure.

I'm waiting for that too. Such a great story.
Meanwhile I'm looking for some serius replacement for Rakugo ...
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30549 on: June 04, 2017, 07:48:41 pm »

Rakugo
Was gonna watch MHA next but after watching the double-first I'm pretty well hooked.

Edit: Switched streamers between 2 and 3 and accidentally watched the 3rd episode of the 2nd season because of Crunchyroll's awful title translations.
So yeah... that's a pretty noticeable bit of story spoiled for me.

Edit:Edit:
Spoiler: Season 1 (click to show/hide)

Edit:Edit:Edit:
Spoiler: Season 2-3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:09:16 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30550 on: June 05, 2017, 08:46:48 am »

Spoiler: LWA ep 22 (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30551 on: June 05, 2017, 11:51:05 am »

I feel like you don't really need a spoiler for that of you're not going to say what it was. But now you've gone and made me curious.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30552 on: June 05, 2017, 03:03:23 pm »

Added a spoiler so people discussing it would remember to add spoilers too :P

Here's the actual spoilery thing:

Spoiler: Huge spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30553 on: June 06, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »

Well I bit the bullet and signed up with Crunchyroll so I can support show creators, and now I get a free 48 hour guest pass every month. If they're any use to people you can pm me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30554 on: June 07, 2017, 06:14:01 pm »

I caught up on YowaPedal, watching it while bicycling on a stationary bike at the Y for the added immersion, and I like that the show is being *very* persistent about it's characters. The graduated characters didn't just disappear, the defeated characters didn't just give up and die, characters that have been sitting on the sidelines and not doing anything up to this point are finally being somewhat relevant, it makes the world feel more wholesome.

Though, the show is getting crazier with the characters powers now. We have the character that stole the massage girl's powers from Keijo, except now he's just a gay molester about it. The one character who just turns into a balloon. The one character who's power is that... he listens to classical music? It's not clear. And the show apparently can't decide what visual metaphor it wants to use for Midosouji; like, the eyes say fish, the tongue says snake or amphibian, he's always gnashing his teeth together like they're made of metal, the transformation sequence he uses makes him out to be a bug, the show is just all over the place for his character.

But I guess what can I expect from a show whose characters are barely 2-dimensional, despite getting constant characterization? I just hope he actually winds up being a credible villain, rather than just building up his character only to be nonchalantly beaten down the road where it actually matters.

I feel that the only thing the show is missing is an "Ace" or "Role Model" character, like an actual pro bicyclist that all the characters in the show can't even measure up to, who is meant to be a cool mentor and/or act as an extremely distant goal for the almost pathologically determined characters in the show.
Pages: 1 ... 2035 2036 [2037] 2038 2039 ... 2193