Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2034 2035 [2036] 2037 2038 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067640 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30525 on: June 01, 2017, 06:51:13 am »

I assumed it was a manga global thing.
But that does make sense.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30526 on: June 01, 2017, 06:54:42 am »

Perhaps it was both, maybe they thought it was a clever pun.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30527 on: June 01, 2017, 07:51:55 am »

Turns out clever puns sell as badly as high-budget seinen.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30528 on: June 01, 2017, 08:30:43 am »

"For years I have been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise."

Never truer those words spoken before. This pearl of wisdom came from the scriptwriter of the live action American SAO. She's a 52 year old veteran scriptwriter. Talk about marketing B.S.

"I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to work with such talented partners to bring this cutting-edge yet timeless story"

Uhh, timeless-fucking-story?!? It's about people trapped in a World of Warcraft style game. It's all about mid-2000s MMOs. Timeless?!?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:40:03 am by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30529 on: June 01, 2017, 11:33:58 am »

MMOs confirmed for timeless.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30530 on: June 01, 2017, 12:45:08 pm »

"For years I have been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise."

Never truer those words spoken before. This pearl of wisdom came from the scriptwriter of the live action American SAO. She's a 52 year old veteran scriptwriter. Talk about marketing B.S.

"I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to work with such talented partners to bring this cutting-edge yet timeless story"

Uhh, timeless-fucking-story?!? It's about people trapped in a World of Warcraft style game. It's all about mid-2000s MMOs. Timeless?!?
From the first quote, she could have just been unfamiliar with anime and thought it was more revolutionary than it is. But from the second, nah. When the most generous interpretation is "maybe she doesn't understand how time works" it's not a good sign.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30531 on: June 02, 2017, 12:56:22 am »

I have a personal policy that if a movie trailer includes interviews with actors then I'm going to assume the movie is bad.

Because if your best way to advertise your product, is a review from your paid employees that are also professional liars, that.  Is not a very good sign.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30532 on: June 02, 2017, 03:31:51 am »

I'm just now imagining a Japanese director adapting The Hangover to Japan and saying "for years, my career has been informed by the majestic storycrafting of The Hangover franchise, and it's my great honor to adapt this timeless classic which has resonated with audiences throughout the years".

(it's relevant because SAO and The Hangover both date from 2009 (book or movie), and have the same imdb score 7.8 vs 7.9).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:37:42 am by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30533 on: June 02, 2017, 10:37:22 am »

like & share if you cried when kirito got another ability and flawlessly defeated every enemy
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30534 on: June 02, 2017, 01:15:48 pm »

I'm watching a new show called eromanga-sensei. It's very cutting edge and innovative, all self-respecting anime fans are watching it.

Not really. It plays out like a ripoff of Oreimo, then you find out it was written by the same dude. Haha he has exactly one idea -_-

Alternate title for eromanga-sensei is "My Little Sister Can't Be This Not-Blood-Related".
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:27:13 pm by Reelya »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30535 on: June 02, 2017, 03:39:21 pm »

There are some thoroughly realistic post-apocalypse settings out there. The weakest link is usually justifying the nuclear exchange, but you can get around that with mega-asteroids or non-zombie pandemic disease.
The weakest link is how things somehow hit some kind of magical sweetspot between "humans are extinct" and "it's a terrible disaster that ruined infrastructure and will take maybe generation to fix" and somehow puts everyone into a caricature of at best a medieval age society mixed with a cargo cult which stays that way in perpetuity across the globe.

Well, I mean, you basically have to set any traditional post-apoc setting within at most a generation of the event, or during the multi-generation slide to inevitable extinction depending on the severity with which civilization is fucked, anything else is pretty silly.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30536 on: June 02, 2017, 03:49:14 pm »

Or a "rising from the ashes" transitional period works well too.

A steampunkish medieval setting for that isn't actually that far fetched - e.g. a mix of tech levels based on what's easy to maintain / repair, e.g. pre-digital stuff. Without a large advanced industrial base a lot of technologies we take for granted just aren't going to be maintainable.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30537 on: June 02, 2017, 05:06:47 pm »

Or a "rising from the ashes" transitional period works well too.

A steampunkish medieval setting for that isn't actually that far fetched - e.g. a mix of tech levels based on what's easy to maintain / repair, e.g. pre-digital stuff. Without a large advanced industrial base a lot of technologies we take for granted just aren't going to be maintainable.
I mean, if you consider modern poor countries to be steampunkish medieval.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30538 on: June 02, 2017, 06:05:35 pm »

I would kinda describe modern poor countries as the opposite of steampunk.  If steampunk is "we don't have fixed wing aircraft but we have 600 war zeppelins", a modern poor nation is "we only have 1 major airport but the US gifted us with 3 cutting edge fighter jets".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30539 on: June 02, 2017, 06:37:05 pm »

Modern poor countries are definitely not steam punk. You have half the population toting smart phones around and the other half collecting cow dung to cook dinner with, and a whole lot of nothing between those extremes.

The fact is, humanity's industrial rise was possible because of cheaply extractable resources. Next time around, after a collapse, then we don't get those resources again, geddit? We already grabbed almost all the cheap stuff, the remaining stuff is either far remote from large-population-supporting areas, or it's now so costly to extract that we need dedicated high-tech machinery and processes to make it cost-effective. That sort of specialized mining requires high levels of knowledge and infrastructure to maintain.

So the recovery gets up to the late medieval stage of development and then you have serious metal and fuel shortages preventing society from boostrapping another industrial revolution. In that scenario, instead of getting energy from fossil fuels, which allowed economic growth beyond feudal agriculture, you'd have to extract fuel energy from plants, which would mean diverting agricultural output into making fuels. And people would starve if you tried to do that to boostrap "industrial revolution mark 2", so society might well be stuck in late-feudal type stage for a long, long time, but with smatterings of technology that have been preserved.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:49:59 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2034 2035 [2036] 2037 2038 ... 2193