Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2033 2034 [2035] 2036 2037 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067760 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30510 on: May 29, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »

Is <removed> safe?
We're not supposed to talk about piracy here, IIRC. There's been a fair bit of discussion about it in this thread already, so you should probably stop before this thread gets locked for not self-reporting ever.

edit: I couldn't find a rule about discussing piracy, but IIRC it's frowned upon and linking (as you did) is definitely a no-no
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:30:48 pm by Elephant Parade »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30511 on: May 29, 2017, 08:49:36 pm »

Sorry about that.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30512 on: May 30, 2017, 12:57:07 am »

Had a tiny hope-flare that Vinland Saga had an anime adaption.
Oh well. It's coming, I'm sure.

Anywho, found "Saiki K's shit life" to be a pretty fun watch, cheers to Reelya for pointing that one out to me. Had just watched 'Highschool boys nichijou' so now I think I'm gonna be hooked on those types of anime for a bit.
If anyone knows of some maybe came out in the last few seasons?

Tried to get into Charlotte... The lolicon killed it for me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:31:53 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30513 on: May 30, 2017, 02:39:43 am »

Fuuuuck, was looking back at some other "series that need shows", picked up Nanatsu no Taizai almost 4 years ago, around the same time I started Shingeki no Kyojin, I think The Breaker had already moved on to the New Waves sequel, was already 3 years into Vinland Saga at this point and the waits were killing me, ended up finding SnK/NnT by looking for "historical shonen manga" or some such and recognizing the names from random forum threads.

God of High School was a misclick I think, was checking one of the "big three" and this gorgeous manhwa pops up and ganks my attention immediately since I had the feeling that Kenichi was winding towards the end (though it turned out to be like three years later? fuck!) so that was a happy accident.

Saw someone try to describe Feng Shen Ji and devoured it then barfed up a giant stone mecha and a dragon god or two.

Started looking through the pictures of the Onepunch Man webcomic around chapter 60 or so and found translations then the Murata version.

Every one of those with a show is a blast, I don't see how the others could be different outside of like deliberate studio misdhandling?

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30514 on: May 30, 2017, 02:42:11 am »

I actually like anime! Just not schoolgirl anime! So that pretty much limits me to a very limited selection of works, but the two animes I really like watching are Ghost in the Shell and Planetes. I would wish something as realistic as those two animes but post apocalypse without fancy costumes and flying castles.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30515 on: May 30, 2017, 06:49:31 am »

I actually like anime! Just not schoolgirl anime! So that pretty much limits me to a very limited selection of works, but the two animes I really like watching are Ghost in the Shell and Planetes. I would wish something as realistic as those two animes but post apocalypse without fancy costumes and flying castles.

Wait two years and check back on reality?

EDIT: I sure hope we get good character development
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30516 on: May 30, 2017, 10:14:23 am »

Realistic but post apocalypse? I'm having a hard time imagining how that could work. What exactly do you mean by realistic? Alternately, what exactly do you mean by post apocalypse? Like, are you trying to fetch up a Canticle for Leibowitz anime?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30517 on: May 30, 2017, 10:39:15 am »

Realistic but post apocalypse? I'm having a hard time imagining how that could work.
Are you being sarcastic?

Thanks for mentioning Canticle for Lebowitz, looks cool.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30518 on: May 30, 2017, 01:43:52 pm »

Realistic but post apocalypse? I'm having a hard time imagining how that could work.
Are you being sarcastic?
No, I legitimately can't think of a way to maintain post-apocalyptic tropes and still be realistic. Unless it's something like Leibowitz of course, but when you think of post-apocalyptic literature it's generally slanted more towards Fallout and Mad Max or zombie stuff. And even the Canticle needs to make some big and arguably unrealistic assertions to keep the premise moderately credible.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30519 on: May 30, 2017, 04:10:18 pm »

There are some thoroughly realistic post-apocalypse settings out there. The weakest link is usually justifying the nuclear exchange, but you can get around that with mega-asteroids or non-zombie pandemic disease.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30520 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:44 pm »

There are some thoroughly realistic post-apocalypse settings out there. The weakest link is usually justifying the nuclear exchange, but you can get around that with mega-asteroids or non-zombie pandemic disease.
The weakest link is how things somehow hit some kind of magical sweetspot between "humans are extinct" and "it's a terrible disaster that ruined infrastructure and will take maybe generation to fix" and somehow puts everyone into a caricature of at best a medieval age society mixed with a cargo cult which stays that way in perpetuity across the globe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30521 on: May 30, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »

My favorite anime post apoc in terms of being flat out impossible for people to survive was basically a magic world where people discovered magic technology (so all the world's technology runs on magic) and even the eco-system relies on magic to survive.

To harness magic they created huge pockets of wasteland, so large human settlements are surrounded by desert.

So... to "save" this world someone sucks all the magic away causing total economic and ecological collapse...

And it is FREEKEN IMPLIED that they have any chance of living.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30522 on: May 30, 2017, 09:05:23 pm »

My favorite anime post apoc in terms of being flat out impossible for people to survive was basically a magic world where people discovered magic technology (so all the world's technology runs on magic) and even the eco-system relies on magic to survive.

To harness magic they created huge pockets of wasteland, so large human settlements are surrounded by desert.

So... to "save" this world someone sucks all the magic away causing total economic and ecological collapse...

And it is FREEKEN IMPLIED that they have any chance of living.
So basically it's Dark Sun? Though that one actually seemed believable to me if only because the "apocalypse" was just long-term wasteful behavior and the end result was mostly a massive and prolonged economic downturn rather than loss of technology. Not sure how the specifics of an ecology that's dependent on magic would work though, so I can't compare too directly.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30523 on: May 31, 2017, 09:25:00 pm »

Still on my 'last season picks', just finished Gangsta.
Sad to hear about Manglobe going bankrupt. Samurai Champloo was actually the very last anime I ever bought on CD, even though I had already seen it many times, just to show my support.
So... that's kind of an extra kick in the teeth.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30524 on: June 01, 2017, 06:31:22 am »

Interesting point but "manglobe" was probably meant to be "mangrove" but suffered from a very poor choice of transliteration. Ls get turned into Rs when written in Japanese, and Vs get turned into Bs. They then picked the wrong consonant to "fix" when converting it back into Latin alphabet :)

Similarly if you watch To Love Ru, at the end of the episodes they clearly say "next time on 'Trouble' ". So the actual spoken name of the show is "Trouble", but the author wanted to get the word "Love" into the written title, so he transliterated R to L and the B to V, and thought "fuck it" then transliterated the final L to an R as well. There's no actual character called "Ru" so the title is otherwise meaningless.

- my fave is still British character Alice Cartwright (spoken name) from Kiniro Mosaic, aka "Alice Cartalet" according to transcribed official media. So the manga author clear intended it to be the real name, however when people localized it back into English, they just applied default romanization of the Kanji from the manga.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:53:25 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2033 2034 [2035] 2036 2037 ... 2193