Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2026 2027 [2028] 2029 2030 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3068570 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30405 on: May 15, 2017, 03:12:50 am »

The problem with those shows that trick you with a false setup is how to pitch them to new people without ruining the surprise. If you just mention the initial setup for that new one, Seikaisuru Kado, half the people who would probably like it won't watch it, and half the people who do watch it will probably wonder wtf is going on.

Gakkou Gurashi was similar, as was Shirobako. It's actually hard to pitch what's unique about those shows without spoiling the plot twist. Suffice to say if you're interested in deconstructions of typical anime cliches they're both worth a look.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:14:58 am by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30406 on: May 15, 2017, 10:28:00 am »

I don't really see how Shirobako has a false setup.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30407 on: May 15, 2017, 10:29:32 am »

Since when did Shirobako have a plot twist?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30408 on: May 15, 2017, 10:36:04 am »

In episode 1 they represent it as a highschool cute girls x things show, quite convincingly, but the twist is that that isn't the actual setting at all. The plot is then revealed to be about an animation studio making a similar type of show to what's depicted at the start, so it's a bait and switch type setup and self-reference.

When I said plot twist I did mention it was the first episode, and that it starts by misleading the viewer about what type of show it is, which makes it similar to the other two shows I mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 10:51:22 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30409 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:52 am »

The problem with those shows that trick you with a false setup is how to pitch them to new people without ruining the surprise. If you just mention the initial setup for that new one, Seikaisuru Kado, half the people who would probably like it won't watch it, and half the people who do watch it will probably wonder wtf is going on.

Gakkou Gurashi was similar, as was Shirobako. It's actually hard to pitch what's unique about those shows without spoiling the plot twist. Suffice to say if you're interested in deconstructions of typical anime cliches they're both worth a look.
yuuki yuuna wa yuusha fits in this category as well, except it had two of these twists. And they only promoted it under the initial premise, so it coasted along as a forgettable cute girl show until suddenly everything was fire and the show blew up in popularity.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30410 on: May 15, 2017, 02:08:25 pm »

Well, there's always Prisma: you can't watch it without worrying about how to explain it to anyone who catches you, and then you hit 3rei and everything goes gar.

I guess to avoid giving away the twist you could say "this show would make a great what-I-watched-what-I-expected-what-I-got meme" maybe?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30411 on: May 16, 2017, 01:14:38 am »

Sakura Quest seems to be my favorite show this season mostly just by default.

Well, there's always Prisma: you can't watch it without worrying about how to explain it to anyone who catches you, and then you hit 3rei and everything goes gar.

I guess to avoid giving away the twist you could say "this show would make a great what-I-watched-what-I-expected-what-I-got meme" maybe?
I've considered picking it up since I like cute things, but it seems too lewd for my tastes.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30412 on: May 16, 2017, 02:39:19 am »

Introduced the girlfriend to "Kimi No Namae Wa", anything resembeling to this you guys could suggest? she didn't like "the wind rises"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30413 on: May 16, 2017, 03:14:49 am »

The wind rises was an old farts anime made by an old fart. Definitely not the greatest one by that guy. For Gihbli films, try Arietty, Marnie was Here, Princess Kaguya and Spirited Away/Howl's Moving Castle. There are a bunch of other good ones but these are all good.

Haven't watched Kimi No Namae Wa yet, but I've seen all that guys previous ones, e.g. 5 Centimetres Per Second.

Other good ones I'd suggest then are

Patema Inverted
The Wolf Children
Tokyo Godfathers

You can also check out other things by the guys who directed these.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:20:11 am by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30414 on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:30 am »

Just picked up Re: Creators, mostly because it seems to be getting some attention and there's little else I like that much this season.

Only watched a couple episodes, but so far I'm genuinely interested in both the plot and most of the characters, so it's doing quite well by two important metrics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30415 on: May 18, 2017, 04:42:45 pm »

Ok sometimes I just love the humor that anime comes up with.

So basically this one takes place in Japan. So the spirit world exists and their entire economic system is based entirely around the donations that people give at small shrines and such (which is often loose change at best.).

As such there is a serious economic disparity between the real world and the spirit world. One super "expensive" and potent spiritual artifact was on sale for essentially five bucks.

I... Kind of LOVE that. Forget comedy it is kind of World Building gold!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:25:46 pm by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30416 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16:46 pm »

I heard someone unironically saying that Dragon Maid is good. Is there any truth to this? What's Dragon Maid even about? ("A dragon that is a maid" is insufficient.) From the title it sounds like otaku trash with lots of fan service.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30417 on: May 18, 2017, 09:07:12 pm »

I heard someone unironically saying that Dragon Maid is good. Is there any truth to this? What's Dragon Maid even about? ("A dragon that is a maid" is insufficient.) From the title it sounds like otaku trash with lots of fan service.
It was good in the sense of being well made, and was generally subjectively enjoyable. I didn't notice fanservice, but I'm sure someone will come in to point out that the characters have breasts and short skirts, because that's always what happens when I say there's not fanservice.

As for the subject, it's a slice of life about a lesbian couple and their adopted daughter. The "dragon" thing is a source of jokes but mostly it's so that they can represent the experience of resident foreigners without it having to be a massively political issue. If you don't hate SoL, I'd say it's worth giving the three episode treatment at the very least.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #30418 on: May 18, 2017, 09:13:47 pm »

That name suggested something very different to me.  Your description sounds like the mature anime that never makes it over here.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30419 on: May 18, 2017, 09:16:24 pm »

It was good in the sense of being well made, and was generally subjectively enjoyable. I didn't notice fanservice, but I'm sure someone will come in to point out that the characters have breasts and short skirts, because that's always what happens when I say there's not fanservice.

Well nope, the notable example was Konosuba, and the retort was that they were constamtly framing the shots so you could see up the main girl's skirt, but without showing panties, but instead it was the "bare buttcheeks" shot. Nobody said anything about boobs and short skirts being fan service. When you constantly frame buttcheeks shots in every episode (incidents of this specific shot happened several times just inthe opening credits) then it's clearly deliberate.

This is the opening for Konosuba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45_4o_Stjmk
Notable shots are the one with the large-breasted barmaid carrying drinks, but they've cut off her head so they can center the shot on the notable jiggle physics, and 1:08 which is a shot of the main girl collapsed on her knees so that you can see right up her skirt to her bare-looking butt, then a very similar but unconnected shot at 1:12. At this stage in the credits they wanted to make it crystal clear "there are bare buits in this show" just in case you missed that from the less-obvious glimpses of her butt earlier in the credits. Notice the framing at 1:08. What is large and in the center of the shot? Her bare butt. Everything else that's happening is kept small and off to the periphery to ensure it doesn't compete for your attention with her butt. Framing the main girl in this way (all butt no face) is one of the few predictable constants in this show. I think they had a quota.

Also they have a side-character montage at the end, which ends with two very minor side-characters who have big boobs turning around one after the other, so that they can cram more last-minute boob-jiggle scenes into the credits. So don't gimme that "what fanservice?" argument. The production team was very deliberate about packing it in.

Google "Aqua Butt" and you find entire articles dedicated to her butt and the fanservice in Konosuba:
http://www.fanservicecheck.com/blog/konosuba-episodes-1-3-obvious

I don't care about whether there is or not, but pretending there isn't fan service in shows that you recommend to other people, when there is ample fanservice, is not the sort of thing that helps animes public image. People are going to notice this shit, and whitewashing it so that they watch it isn't helping.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:45:32 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 2026 2027 [2028] 2029 2030 ... 2193