Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2021 2022 [2023] 2024 2025 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070641 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30330 on: April 27, 2017, 01:39:06 pm »

One issue I think is worth noting is that if anime comes to depict a type of cartoon, and other types cartoons are excluded we'd need to distinguish 4 classes of things:

Japanese anime
Japanese cartoons
American anime
American cartoons

Which would get a bit messy, especially since "anime" was coined as a more straightforward way of saying Japanese cartoons in the first place. After the redefinition "Japanese cartoon", "japanese anime" and just "anime" would have different connotations to different people. We'd have to start calling them "japanese animated series and/or films" to avoid any ambiguity if the terms were split like this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:52:45 pm by Reelya »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30331 on: April 27, 2017, 01:55:30 pm »

I don't watch much anime or cartoons, but I'd define animu as being motions animated in Japan and/or by Japanese direction/production.

Anyway. I've been watching Full Metal Alchemist  Brotherhood lately and I must say I am sorely dissatisfied. I realised after a few episodes that I had been building up this idea in my head that Brotherhood had everything I liked about FMA and more of it, when now in reality I've come to the conclusion that it's the other way around - it lacks in everything I liked about the original.

It's pacing is also horrendous. It feels like they are bored by the stories and are simply racing through them just for the sake of getting through them.

Late reply. 
Yes, Brotherhood does rush the first lot of episodes.  You can pretty much watch a bunch of the first FMA and then skip a buncha episodes in brotherhood. 
I believe I still have the details linked in my signature.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30332 on: April 28, 2017, 11:12:49 pm »

I will say the whole Yokai Slice of Life show kind of went in a direction I admit was a bit interesting.

I mean I just wanted the show to have a bit more emotional continuity and increase its pace to "actually moving" instead of "piddling about". So I was basically wanting him to deal with the cast he already has.

Yet the show "fixed" its problem... by introducing a villain.

Yet I can't complain because this villain (in fact just the increase of tension and antagonism in general) has somehow spun into having a lot more plot/character advancement and emotions lasting more then a single episode.

I am stuck on Season 3 because... the Last episode, without even watching it, is going to be so pointless that there is no real need to watch it myself... but I HAVE to watch it to get to Season 4 because I am a completionist like that.

Not that I have any objection to the last episodes in the season, but it is a typical curtain call episode where they have to squeeze in everyone... and I've really only seen one show that ever made that amazing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:15:47 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #30333 on: April 29, 2017, 01:36:39 am »

Quick, recommend me a manga that has a focus on war!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30334 on: April 29, 2017, 02:17:25 am »

Huh, the first two that popped in my head aren't manga, and definitely aren't specifically about war, but the main arcs involve them: Feng Shen Ji and God of High School.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30335 on: April 29, 2017, 05:33:52 am »

Feng Shen Ji
That's the cool one that has amazing artwork, yes?
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30336 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:54 am »

that one with the tank boobies
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30337 on: April 29, 2017, 10:28:33 am »

Not a manga, but Youjo Senki has you covered. LNs exist, if you can find the translations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30338 on: April 29, 2017, 10:34:23 am »

that one with the tank boobies

The one where the boobies are like tanks, or the one with the boobie girls driving tanks?

Other than those, this one has plenty of military hardware:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvYV-Ch1lm8
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:36:19 am by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30339 on: April 29, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »

Feng Shen Ji
That's the cool one that has amazing artwork, yes?
Very much so, yes, big silly huge story.

Kinda spoilery I guess, so like, when Naruto wound up going from martial arts/ninja/tactical-battles-based story to pseudo-mecha-kaiju nonsense out of nowhere? Feng Shen Ji did it right.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #30340 on: April 30, 2017, 12:24:55 am »

I don't have much, but one work I had recommended to me that I do check on occasion is Gunka no Baltzar.  The main character is a Prussian Weissen major sent as a military advisor and instructor to the military academy in Bavaria Baselland, which has been attempting to balance the separate competing ambitions of its neighbors in Weissen and Austria Ezreich.  Baselland is domestically vulnerable, however, with a sickly king unable to govern.  In the interim, real royal authority has largely become vested in his two sons who advocate different policies both domestically and abroad, with their only real point of commonality being an interest in maintaining Baselland's independence.  Weissen itself has its own concerns, however, including growing concern over competing ethnic and economic ambitions with Denmark Holbaek over the status of Schleiswig-Holstein the Norden-Trade Duchy which has already broken out into war once.  Domestically, as well, its own military has been taking on a much more independent nationalist position, which has threatened to put it into conflict with its own ruler (who is more of a Friedrich than a Wilhelm, so to speak) and bears its own similarity to the armed forces of a rather different nation due to the growing political awareness and activism among the junior officers

EDIT: Wait, you already read this. Don't mind me. ^_^

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30341 on: April 30, 2017, 05:31:03 am »

Thanks for this one Culise its an awesome read...also that Bavarian Prince, i giggled at his Neuschwanstein castle...i truly hope they also have an arc in my part of the country :D just want to see suicidal Swabians and a King who lives like a commoner.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30342 on: April 30, 2017, 01:54:18 pm »

Proper clear footage of the Code Geass R3 PV!

...lol they gave the Guren a drill.

It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30343 on: April 30, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »

Timestamp? I didn't spot it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30344 on: April 30, 2017, 05:50:13 pm »

It's way in the back of the scene where the Guren and a bunch of Sutherlands are racing through a forest. About a minute and 12 seconds in. You have to look really closely to see it through the trees, but it's there for a split second.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 2021 2022 [2023] 2024 2025 ... 2193