Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2011 2012 [2013] 2014 2015 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072678 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30180 on: March 31, 2017, 02:43:44 pm »

Awh yiss, Youjo Senki continues to deliver, despite the sad rise to ww2 tech its still bloody awesome.

Especially with Rage against the Heavens!

I predict once she is shifted to the Eastern Front Tanya will break thoroughly and will go full SS-Totenkopf Division to vent all that anger

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30181 on: April 01, 2017, 12:37:37 am »

Yay! Hero Academia is back! And will have an actual episode next week.

BOOOOOOOOO that it is a Tournament arc. (and believe me, I like tournament arcs)

Sometimes I feel like "Super Hero high" often focus too much on combat ability. Then again the whole entrance exam was based entirely on combat ability (well and a written test, but that was likely just to weed people out)

THEN AGAIN the last lesson of the first season was on Rescues in different situations... so it wasn't even about combat... And one of the top heroes is MOSTLY a noncombatant who focuses almost exclusively on disasters and emergency response.

So I think I am safe... the tournament might just be a sort of extra-curricular thing rather than a "This is how heroes shall be judged!"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30182 on: April 01, 2017, 11:27:23 am »

So I think I am safe... the tournament might just be a sort of extra-curricular thing rather than a "This is how heroes shall be judged!"
If it's like in the manga, it's basically Sports Day but with super shenanigans.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30183 on: April 01, 2017, 10:05:35 pm »

I certainly didn't expect Hero Academy to actually get into the question as to why the Quirks seemed to increase the crime rate.

Most series just kind of make it a given or... blame the hero.

Yet this kind of suggests that Quirks kind of beget action so to speak... Yet a lot of people are just sort of lost as to how to use them... This sort of aimlessness and lack of aid throws them onto the wrong track.

I REALLY hope they go further down this line of thinking... But I might be expecting a bit more depth then the show MIGHT do. (and I already have a theory that one of the kids is a ex-villain)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30184 on: April 03, 2017, 03:04:43 pm »

I finally got around to finishing Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and Bravely Second.

I thought the last case in AA was fun, and I was acing it until it got into what I affectionately remember from the older games as 'tin foil hat conspiracy theory' level of crime logic. I did like how a clue to solving the case involved staring at women's cleavage. I then played the DLC case and was sorely disappointed by how puny and inadequate it was.

Bravely Second was delightful, if horrendously verbose. I do like how it 'kinda sorta' takes the dark souls route of putting TONS info on the game world in item descriptions and in the bestiary. Literal treasure trove of lore info if you're willing to literally sit there and read it for hours. The game overall is wonderfully meta, breaking the forth wall like it insulted it's mother. It's also one of those rare games where you feel you wind up getting way more game than you payed for, which was true of the first game as well. After scouring over the whole game world several times, I had to confer with the internet to double check and MAKE SURE that there were no more side quests I was missing, cause jeez was there just a lot to do. Wonderful FFV remake overall.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30185 on: April 05, 2017, 05:17:04 pm »

Yay! Hero Academia is back! And will have an actual episode next week.

BOOOOOOOOO that it is a Tournament arc. (and believe me, I like tournament arcs)

Sometimes I feel like "Super Hero high" often focus too much on combat ability. Then again the whole entrance exam was based entirely on combat ability (well and a written test, but that was likely just to weed people out)

THEN AGAIN the last lesson of the first season was on Rescues in different situations... so it wasn't even about combat... And one of the top heroes is MOSTLY a noncombatant who focuses almost exclusively on disasters and emergency response.

Hero Academia was surprisingly good. I really like All Might as a character, doing everything he can to stay a symbol of peace while his powers fade.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30186 on: April 05, 2017, 05:34:04 pm »

I will say... A lot of animes just... don't get some pieces of fiction. (Not that Western Shows have a particularly good track record... right Kappa Mikey?)

But I dunno... Hero Academy just sort of gets Super Heroes.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30187 on: April 05, 2017, 06:30:17 pm »

I didn't think it was that great, but maybe I just have completely unreasonable standards after reading Worm.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30188 on: April 06, 2017, 05:05:19 am »

Man... Japan sucks!

Dang it! Though at LEAST this one seems to have something that at least hints at there being something redeemable.

Which is that in Japan courts can sometimes force schools to take you... mostly because schools typically don't take kids with criminal records. (assuming I am understanding the situation)

Though... while I know Japan is a bit... overly freeken majorly harsh on people who have a criminal record or public record (and Japan is well aware of this... This is a problem that Japan is trying to fix.) SOME of this is just media drama.

I mean... there are probably schools in Japan that specialize in troubled youngsters or ones with criminal records. I mean the USA has schools dedicated to crushing children's spirits and destroying their self-esteem, they also have military school (ZING!)

Seriously I can't believe how many times I watch something and I just go "What the heck Japan?". This is more understandable... The one that I was like "Seriously what the heck Japan?" was that businesses can fire you based on things that go on in school AND that schools can throw you out based on your job.

Which is surprising given that isn't the worst sort of social commentary I've seen in anime, dramas, videogames... But "People will harass you non-stop, your will likely get fired, and people will shun your entire family" sort of makes sense (and given I was once kicked out of school for being weird...)... The whole "Schools don't mind their own business and can black list you" is where I am incredulous, the cultural difference is immeasurable.

MIND YOU! the audience isn't meant to accept it either. You are supposed to, most of the time, find it as unfair or horrible as the characters do. It suggests a sort of self-awareness but at the same time a resignation to the immensity of the problem.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:30:32 am by Neonivek »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30189 on: April 06, 2017, 03:29:42 pm »

I finally got around to finishing Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and Bravely Second.

I thought the last case in AA was fun, and I was acing it until it got into what I affectionately remember from the older games as 'tin foil hat conspiracy theory' level of crime logic. I did like how a clue to solving the case involved staring at women's cleavage. I then played the DLC case and was sorely disappointed by how puny and inadequate it was.
I think overall AA6 was better than AA5, but the charm and writing of the first three games is still better. I really wish the team that did the Investigations games would come back. I thoroughly enjoyed Investigations 2 more than AA5 and AA6 combined.

AA6 had a stronger main plot and characters than AA5, however I think the episodic cases were weaker. I also found the final big twist in AA6 to be way more impactful than the one in AA5.

Both game's DLC cases are decent at best, although still fairly mediocre when you think back on them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30190 on: April 06, 2017, 04:05:06 pm »

So uh, manga shingeki no kyojin spoilers ahead, er, attack on titan that is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30191 on: April 06, 2017, 05:41:04 pm »

Ok I got more information!

Ok so Courts in Japan cannot force a school to take a child. (I completely misunderstood the situation)

What I did find out is why Japanese school act the way they do and it is a bit more systematic and less "Schools are such puritan hardasses".

Namely that a schools ability to function is based around its reputation... or at least that is how it is perceived.

So it towing the line in often unfair ways to avoid a scandal is more a question of survival than of petty moral grand standing. How much this actually plays out probably depends on the school.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30192 on: April 07, 2017, 05:41:36 am »

Watching Gabriel Drop-Out. I'm not usually a big fan of "Supernatural being comes to Earth, causes wacky misunderstanding" type stories, but this one's actually pretty good. The comedy's not amazing, but it's consistently good and not too generic or cliched. There's also a lot of visual gags and the animation has good comedic timing. I apologize if it was already discussed a lot when it came out, but last season is practically cutting-edge for me.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:52:50 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30193 on: April 07, 2017, 06:34:51 pm »

It probably wasn't discussed at all, plenty of fine animes get overlooked here regularly because they didn't get many viewers at the time, or there was exactly one bay12 person watching it as it aired. e.g. if you search for it, there's only one vague reference to it existing back in feb.

Another plug for Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan btw, which I just completed, that show was awesome. A second season was announced at the end of the final episode too. People who like fast paced screwed up slice of life comedy should give it a look. Now I have time to start another show from my backlog. BTW the TV version is the one with high ratings, there was a 16 minute web episode of it from several years ago which has a low rating.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:41:02 pm by Reelya »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30194 on: April 08, 2017, 11:58:34 pm »

Watching Gabriel Drop-Out. I'm not usually a big fan of "Supernatural being comes to Earth, causes wacky misunderstanding" type stories, but this one's actually pretty good. The comedy's not amazing, but it's consistently good and not too generic or cliched. There's also a lot of visual gags and the animation has good comedic timing. I apologize if it was already discussed a lot when it came out, but last season is practically cutting-edge for me.
I'm still finishing off the last season myself, I'm often a week or more behind things even though I normally only really watch currently airing stuff. I liked Gabriel Dropout (though I've a couple episodes left) but I didn't find it to stand out a lot. Peaceful and fun, but at the end of the day the biggest thing you can say about it is "Doga Kobo made a show this season". Which still makes it a good show for me, since I like to watch such things over dinner.
Pages: 1 ... 2011 2012 [2013] 2014 2015 ... 2193