Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2006 2007 [2008] 2009 2010 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073148 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30105 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:25 pm »

the American Revolution lost because Ben Franklin got bribed with a noble title somehow

That is odd O_o... not that in this alternate fiction that he got bribed... but that this single action could have affected that much.

Also odd given that at that time period I think royal titles were... basically useless. Due to the sheer number of people who had royal titles and royal claims.

gained an unhealthy obsession with Charles Darwin

Oddly enough completely accurate to real life for soo many years and we can even see it today... But what the anime (well second season of it... which replaced the villains with cartoon villains) forgets is that Darwin's words were used to legitimize the rule of the strong upon the weak.

Not... whatever the heck version R2 uses. (Wasn't... like... a big part of the first one trying to explain why good people within the British Empire could possibly stand by and accept this excessive colonialism? When the exact words are "Lets destroy them to sate ourselves!"...)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:43:24 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30106 on: March 10, 2017, 11:02:23 pm »

It's just the usual strain of Social Darwinism that you see from folks like Ayn Rand and the Trumpet, "The strong deserve to do what they like to the weak," combined with "We are strong because of our inherent greatness and not because we started out from an advantageous position."

Except that it's being practiced in CG by a deluded world ruler with Mystic Eyes of Convenient Amnesia backed by his immortal brother and a cult, who set up the entire system to secretly funnel resources into an attempt to mind-control the Akashic records.

The key to Code Geass is to not take it seriously. It's a show about glorious scenery-chewing ham and giant robots beating the shit out of each other.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime
« Reply #30107 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:09 pm »

Even more unhealthy than that Neo. Brittania made him a saint and named the section of their capital that the royal palace is situated on after him.

But yeah what Flying Dice said really.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:07:42 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30108 on: March 11, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon is, despite all appearances, actually very cute. It's still got a lot of the issues I was afraid of (can the dragon's breasts please stop making "boing" noises when she makes the smallest motion? and can the lesbian not-quite-relationship involve a no sexual harassment instead of infrequent stripping gags?), but it's mostly just...sweet.

^That was through episode...four, I think? So of course, two episodes later it starts getting weird and uncomfortable. On the whole still not awful, but the way the dragons interact with various pre-school/elementary age kids is skeeving me out. It's pretty frustrating how this show can bounce between honestly great writing -- just really pleasant, funny, character-driven vignettes -- and stupid, creepy anime cliches. Sometimes inside the same scene!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30109 on: March 12, 2017, 04:34:37 am »

Alright, something's been annoying me about Iron Blooded Orphans for a while now.

Nothing about mobile suit damage in space makes any sense. In the most recent episode somebody is absolutely covered in blood yet the cockpit wasn't damaged. Their helmet didn't have a faceplate (or even cover the top of their head... probably not really a helmet), they would have suffocated if the cockpit was breached. But then how did they get hurt? There's no consoles or anything to bash their head on unless they're flung out of their chair or do some contortions to hit the controls at their side.

Maybe their cockpit was pierced or crushed and so debris hit them. But if they survived with no atmosphere, that means they had some kind of invisible force field helmet... which means they wouldn't have gotten hurt as badly from flying debris.

I probably overthought this, or underthought it somehow because I'm not very knowledgable about i.e. real-life space vehicles and what happens to your body when you pilot them.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30110 on: March 12, 2017, 05:58:53 am »

Spalling most probably, strong enough impacts can easily cause bits of stuff to tear off in the cockpit and fly all over the place at potentially lethal speeds. Or it could be general G related strain causing blood flows from the nose potentially, tho I guess for that to happen they'd have to probably faint from bloodflow to the head too.

Anyways, IBO loves its bloody cockpits/pilots, regardless of how plausible they may or may not be.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30111 on: March 12, 2017, 07:24:02 am »

Or the cockbit is self sealing.

But... Is the person in question a New-Type?

Because new types aren't meant to make sense. Remember they can survive terminal velocity drops AND being in a oven.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #30112 on: March 12, 2017, 12:37:21 pm »

Finished One Outs last night and damnit I never expected myself to cry at a baseball/gambling manga, but I did anyway.  What an amazing read.
Anyone know another good baseball or gambling manga?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30113 on: March 12, 2017, 03:36:26 pm »

Because new types aren't meant to make sense. Remember they can survive terminal velocity drops AND being in a oven.
Wrong timeline Neo.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30114 on: March 12, 2017, 05:14:56 pm »

Wrong timeline Neo.

Whoa so this is before Gundams?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30115 on: March 12, 2017, 05:19:55 pm »

After actually. Or rather, this is more a case of a sideline than coming before or after. There aren't post humans because augmentation tech is kinda taboo because it works only on kids and has a high mortality rate, plus it's tied to some bad juju from the past.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30116 on: March 12, 2017, 05:22:30 pm »

Based on what Neo's said in the past I think what he's saying is that he might be misunderstanding how seriously the whole thing about the Black History in Turn A is meant to be taken.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30117 on: March 12, 2017, 05:24:15 pm »

Based on what Neo's said in the past I think what he's saying is that he might be misunderstanding how seriously the whole thing about the Black History in Turn A is meant to be taken.

No, I am referring to the Mobile Suit Gundam timeline.

Then again that timeline probably got as ridiculous as it was probably going to get in terms of what powers New Types are capable of...

Well... Ignoring G-Gundam but... that is... something else entirely (and I don't THINK they are New types in that)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30118 on: March 12, 2017, 05:34:14 pm »

Neo there's like eight or nine different unconnected universes in the franchise, not counting the Black History stuff since that's meant to be more of a conceptual matter that you're not suppose to think too hard about and instead focus on the message that its presenting. IBO takes place in the newest one that uses the PD Calendar, and is more about technological transhumanism as opposed to spiritual. Newtypes explicitly only exist in the UC, AW, and CE timelines, and if you want to get technical then AG and AD have their equivalents in the form of X-Rounders and Innovators, but those are not the same thing and have some differences even if they take inspiration from the concept.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:38:25 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30119 on: March 12, 2017, 05:39:08 pm »

I know atleast one of those has New Types but never refers to a character as a new type (Probably because there is no genetic manipulation... You are just born super special awesome super elite)

My favorite will always be that universe without Gundams at all, where all combat is won completely though Mobile suits... but those same suits never really skirt towards gundam level power.

Just something really interesting about a Gundam universe where squad tactics are king... and there is no like... singular badass tearing people up.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 05:41:35 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 2006 2007 [2008] 2009 2010 ... 2193