Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2005 2006 [2007] 2008 2009 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073164 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #30090 on: March 08, 2017, 02:55:51 pm »

My first answer was Evangelion, although I have a tendency to assume every single trope even slightly resembling or having anything to do with Rei was started by Evangelion. In reality I'm pretty sure the Rei archetype existed in various forms in a whole bunch of pre-Eva anime I haven't seen or heard of.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30091 on: March 09, 2017, 05:16:14 pm »

--Actually you can interpret it two ways... Since Slifer Red was Yugi's God Card... You can say this is Kaiba's way of putting Yugi down... OR you can say this is his way of showing his respect to his opponent and allow people there to rise to greatness just like Yugi did.
It's the former. The latter doesn't sound like Kaiba, and it fits with making his god card at the top.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30092 on: March 09, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »

--Actually you can interpret it two ways... Since Slifer Red was Yugi's God Card... You can say this is Kaiba's way of putting Yugi down... OR you can say this is his way of showing his respect to his opponent and allow people there to rise to greatness just like Yugi did.
It's the former. The latter doesn't sound like Kaiba, and it fits with making his god card at the top.

Ehhh, I take it as character development. Especially since the Yugi he likes isn't around anymore.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30093 on: March 09, 2017, 06:40:07 pm »

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon is, despite all appearances, actually very cute. It's still got a lot of the issues I was afraid of (can the dragon's breasts please stop making "boing" noises when she makes the smallest motion? and can the lesbian not-quite-relationship involve a no sexual harassment instead of infrequent stripping gags?), but it's mostly just...sweet.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30094 on: March 10, 2017, 12:52:14 am »

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon is, despite all appearances, actually very cute. It's still got a lot of the issues I was afraid of (can the dragon's breasts please stop making "boing" noises when she makes the smallest motion? and can the lesbian not-quite-relationship involve a no sexual harassment instead of infrequent stripping gags?), but it's mostly just...sweet.
Seems like all the dragons have a not-quite-relationship, but the one that's heterosexual seems like the most harassment-oriented. Of course, that's following the template of the original myth too.

But in general yeah, it's cute slice of life about people from far away coming into a city, complete with the expat circle of friends and the slightly unhealthy reliance on their few local contacts. And then there's the parenting aspect, which doesn't often make it into anime.

Between this and Demi-chan's teacher protagonist, I'm feeling pretty well pandered to this season.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30095 on: March 10, 2017, 01:36:55 am »

Hmm... Is there a Anime villain who is at adept at social combat as Peach Girl's first act's villain?

Because that villain played our hero like a cheap fiddle and geniusly flipped even her staunchest ally not by planting the seeds of doubt but by making the protagonist fall onto her own sword.

---------

I will say I do find it interesting that even though a HUUUUUUUUUUGE anime and manga trope is a girl who absolutely cannot cook often to ridiculous degrees.

Yet whenever they try to show why they are such a bad cook they can never seem to find legitimate reasons why they are so bad at it (it is almost like super terrible cooking is contrived or something).
-What kind of hurts about it... Is the vast majority of the time... as in 100% of the time. Their bad cooking is entirely their own fault. Yet why are they always so sensitive about their cooking?

There are two animes I can think of that pull a twist on this. One where someone is so great at poisoning their cooking that she cannot make a legitimate meal and can even turn things she touches into poison. The other in a similar vein where she actually DOES make poisonous cooking intentionally (She is likely good at cooking) in order to train people in toxin resistance... and apparently it tastes bad too, but given I am trying to learn immunity to cyanide, I'll take it.

One anime that sort of did it in a funny way is Persona 4 where the girls suddenly had to make a meal they just flat out didn't know how to make and in doing so they got caught up in the moment and made something putrid... and they ate it too. (They also made an overly spicy dish, but that is because they misread the amount required and ended up essentially drenching it in hot spices)... and all these girls can actually cook.
-Actually... it makes the joke... kind of funny. Instead of them suddenly presenting bad food out of the blue... and the joke is that the food is bad.

Actually yeah... The only time I thought the joke was really funny and not just tropy trope sake... was when it had some alternate payoff. Such as Misty's bad cooking (which even she doesn't like) being beloved by Jesse. Who admitting isn't EXACTLY that it tastes amazing to her so much that she sees some sort of deep artistic expression in the food.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 02:58:33 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30096 on: March 10, 2017, 09:34:48 am »

Did anyone else watch The Disastrous Life of Saiki K?

I'm catching up with the 2nd half of the series now, it's a daily life anime about a guy with every conceivable psychic ability / superpower, but it's more in the vein of Sakamoto Desu Ka? than Mob Psycho 100. How it's different to Sakamoto is that rather than being amazing, Saiki is trying to blend in as best as possible and avoid using his powers (which of course never works out). One fun thing is an in-universe explanation of why anime hair colors exist:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The show was original a 5 minute show but you can find it packed into 25 minute chunks easily enough.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:42:24 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30097 on: March 10, 2017, 05:56:48 pm »

So is Code Gaeus R2 any good? because I've gotten mixed messages.

The only one who seems to hate it more than anyone else is its creator who was basically soul sucked like he was fighting Shang Tsung.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:11:34 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30098 on: March 10, 2017, 07:16:07 pm »

The stuff that was forced on the team (namely highschool antics) is jarring and the plot had to twist to include it, but the bulk of it is well worth watching if you enjoyed the first season. The conclusion varies wildly based on your personal philosophy and how you interpreted it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30099 on: March 10, 2017, 07:20:40 pm »

How many episodes until the "What if Death note was stupid?" ends?

Because goodness that is painful...

---

Also why has China regressed to the medieval ages in Code Gauss? Also why is India faring a LOT better then it did in real life if this is supposed to be an alternate history where Britain's colonial ambitions were amplified?

I know in Ghost in a Shell Canada progressed to a world power (In one of the few times in fiction where Canada actually wasn't screwed over)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:45:50 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30100 on: March 10, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »

Most questions about Code Geass can be answered with "for no particular reason".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30101 on: March 10, 2017, 07:57:53 pm »

Most questions about Code Geass can be answered with "for no particular reason".

So... racism... Rightio :P

Well ok... partially racism... partially they thought imperial china would be cooler than a pastiche.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30102 on: March 10, 2017, 08:32:33 pm »

Well no actually, according to official materials it's an alt history where the Romans were partially driven back by this one dude but for some reason the same equivalent nations and events persisted for the next millenium and a half afterwards, the Tudor Dynasty managed to survive an extra couple centuries, the American Revolution lost because Ben Franklin got bribed with a noble title somehow, the rest of the era of revolution went even further than in real life and managed to simultaneously overthrow all the monarchies in Europe except for Britains and merged togeher into one big democracy blob, and then Napoleon managed to beat Britain so thoroughly that the surviving nobility was forced to flee to the American colonies, gained an unhealthy obsession with Charles Darwin, and rebuilt the empire by taking over the rest of the Americas. Thanks to sakuradite technological development got even more wonky than it looks at first glance and all the guns in the show are actually coilguns. Also for the longest time it was believed that if you convert the calendars over the show actually takes place in the real world's 1960s which was a huge part of why the previous sentence was notable, but apparently that got retconned recently

...It's really best not to try to make sense of the setting of Code Geass.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:38:40 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30103 on: March 10, 2017, 08:53:41 pm »

I recognize that bulge!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30104 on: March 10, 2017, 10:09:44 pm »

So, I've been reading the Web Novel that Re:Zero was based on, which some kind folks have been translating into English. I thought the anime ended pretty abruptly if they're not continuing it, so it's been neat to see where the story was heading!

Anyway, the thing I wanted to say was that the arc I'm on just introduced a feline Demihuman. His name is Garfield. Not only does his Divine Protection let him make himself immovable or earth-shakingly heavy, he can also shapeshift into a giant orange cat.

...but I keep expecting the author to make some side comment revealing an all-consuming lasagna obsession, and/or an irrational hatred of dogs and Mondays.
Pages: 1 ... 2005 2006 [2007] 2008 2009 ... 2193