Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3075211 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29835 on: January 22, 2017, 06:48:31 am »

Nothing beats this album title:

Dokidoki Wakuwaku Pamyu Pamyu Revolution Land 2012 in Kira Kira Budōkan

That HAS to be a joke even in Japan.

BTW the singer claims that her full name is ...

Caroline Charonplop Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

Kyary for short.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:50:26 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29836 on: January 22, 2017, 08:07:23 am »

Doubled-up onomatopoeia words are pretty common in Japanese, and not just limited to childish speech/weird anime titles. One of my friends had to learn like 200 of them for a test. For example, to describe how heavily it's raining you can use one of these:
1. shitoshito
2. zaazaa
3. potsupotsu
There's been some research into whether people can work out which word is which without any Japanese knowledge just from the sound. See if you can guess the order from lightest to heaviest
Spoiler: answer (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29837 on: January 22, 2017, 01:05:10 pm »

"Shitoshito" is actually the onomatopoeia for English-speakers caught in sudden rain without an umbrella. They all make that sound in anguish at the effect that it has on their hairstyles.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29838 on: January 22, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »

Why are Japanese onomatopoeia so adorable?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29839 on: January 22, 2017, 02:12:47 pm »

Pyon Pyon

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29840 on: January 22, 2017, 03:36:16 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29842 on: January 22, 2017, 04:20:08 pm »

From the sounds of it... Onomatopoeias are less for adults to use and more for children.

Or alternatively that is exactly it, they are made to be adorable as a way to pay tribute to whatever it is.

There is a Japanese gameshow that was ENTIRELY just trivia being presented to judges... who judge how interesting it is. (My favorite is how much money it would cost to buy out a corner store)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29843 on: January 22, 2017, 04:32:30 pm »

From the sounds of it... Onomatopoeias are less for adults to use and more for children.

Or alternatively that is exactly it, they are made to be adorable as a way to pay tribute to whatever it is.

There is a Japanese gameshow that was ENTIRELY just trivia being presented to judges... who judge how interesting it is. (My favorite is how much money it would cost to buy out a corner store)
Well go on then, how much?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29844 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:34 pm »

Some of them are, but eg "ame ga shitoshito futte iru" is something you could hear in every day conversation.

Probably the most interesting ones are for feelings or concepts that don't actually have a literal sound, but which are meant to be evocative. Wakuwaku (excited) is one example, there's a bunch of others you'll hear in anime from time to time like ukiuki (happy, hopeful). Kurukuru also comes up a fair amount and refers to something that revolves or goes around in circles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29845 on: January 23, 2017, 11:56:22 am »

I have to hand it to magical worlds / Schools... It really doesn't take much to hurl you into a dangerous predicament.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But at least it isn't an ordinary part of freeken detention like Harry Potter.

---

Also Magic Language is REALLY inefficient

Two paragraphs worth of writing produces one sentence of Japanese or English.

Note: I am speaking of Little Witch Academia
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:52:03 pm by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29846 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:16 pm »

I have to hand it to magical worlds / Schools... It really doesn't take much to hurl you into a dangerous predicament.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But at least it isn't an ordinary part of freeken detention like Harry Potter.

---

Also Magic Language is REALLY inefficient

Two paragraphs worth of writing produces one sentence of Japanese or English.

Note: I am speaking of Little Witch Academia
I mean, I can easily produce one sentence of English from two paragraphs of most of my academic stuff, and that's ostensibly the same language.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29847 on: January 23, 2017, 05:58:33 pm »

Also I will say that my criticisms WAY earlier about Little Witch Academia

About how its visuals are distracting and often non-meaningful... and how it takes place in jerk world?

Yeah... I completely confused it for ANOTHER anime about a girl learning magic. (She was being sold as a slave and was rescued by a wizard who has a dead bison for a head)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29848 on: January 23, 2017, 06:11:13 pm »

Also I will say that my criticisms WAY earlier about Little Witch Academia

About how its visuals are distracting and often non-meaningful... and how it takes place in jerk world?

Yeah... I completely confused it for ANOTHER anime about a girl learning magic. (She was being sold as a slave and was rescued by a wizard who has a dead bison for a head)

I was actually going to ask you about that jerk world comment, but I thought that the term 'jerk world' had some laborious and specific definition that I just wasn't aware of because LWA is set in a pretty idyllic world from what I remember of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29849 on: January 23, 2017, 06:30:55 pm »

Naw I use the term Jerk World to typically refer to when a setting seems to have everyone act like psychotic pricks.

It is more common in Western horror movies and 80s Gorn Animes.

I mean yeah few characters are particularly nice in Little Witch Academia... but that isn't Jerk World.

While the anime I confused LWA with... had everyone be bewildered and constantly moan about how this girl WHO SAW HER MOTHER COMMIT SUICIDE (and blame her for it, may I add) for some reason isn't happy go lucky not even a month after it occurred. All the children finding her totally weird, adults constantly bemoaning how she isn't acting lady like. She getting betrayed and ending up in slavery. Yet this is still what I considered on the cusp a sort of "Lesser Jerk World".
-Though to admit that might be because everyone is a total jerk to her... UNTIL she meets the man in her life... then suddenly she is surrounded by nice people.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:37:13 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1988 1989 [1990] 1991 1992 ... 2193