Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1984 1985 [1986] 1987 1988 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3074860 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29775 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:42 pm »

Huh. You sure?

I ask because the teaser looked like it featured Ozu, Master Higuchi, and the Protagonist from Tatami Galaxy, and I didn't recognize any of the footage from the anime.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29776 on: December 30, 2016, 09:59:15 pm »

I just repeated the information that we do have. As for story links etc, nothings been confirmed yet, but you can infer what you want from the trailer
http://screenanarchy.com/2016/12/mind-game-helmer-returns-to-the-big-screen-with-kurokami-no-otome.html

But you can find some images in Tatami that seem to be re-used in the new vid, so they're most likely linked.
http://thestereogram.com/2013/02/review-the-tatami-galaxy/

At this stage however, there's no info on ANN or Myanimelist databases about this, so it's kind of too early to say much. Wait until the anime crowd knows more about it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:07:46 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29777 on: January 01, 2017, 06:27:46 am »

Goodness I am starting to think the Author of Jojo... actively hates his own series.

I did a few mental exercises to enjoy it (pretending part 1-2 never happened helps a lot)... But then...

But that isn't accurate it is more that the author just does what he likes, I get the impression that he is less interested in keeping a active living world so much as just having fun with it.

He is using Gmod not RPGMaker :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29778 on: January 01, 2017, 08:13:50 am »

To be honest, if you have a series that's gone that long you either just wing it and favor "rule of cool" over continuity, or you end up like Tolkien drowning in a sea of notes and charts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29779 on: January 01, 2017, 12:29:53 pm »

To be honest, if you have a series that's gone that long you either just wing it and favor "rule of cool" over continuity, or you end up like Tolkien drowning in a sea of notes and charts.

There are series many times longer then it has without having any real hiccups or complications. Tolkien did it because he WANTED his plots to be as intertwined as possible... But hmm wasn't there a author who keeps continuity, who has written like 8-9 times the number of books Tolkien did?... But either way Anime, and there are definitely longer anime and manga.

Why is the reasoning not "That isn't what it is going for" it is "NO! you see, if it did it any differently it would just explode!"?

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29780 on: January 01, 2017, 04:27:20 pm »

Jojo was either going to get stale or expand in multiple bizarre directions. I'm glad it did the latter.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29781 on: January 01, 2017, 08:39:40 pm »

Speaking of which, just picked it up again. Sort of stalled out in the early parts of Stone Ocean, but now everything feels JoJoY again. By which I mean everything's bizarre and ohgodnowhywaitwhat.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29782 on: January 01, 2017, 09:47:53 pm »

Speaking of which, just picked it up again. Sort of stalled out in the early parts of Stone Ocean, but now everything feels JoJoY again. By which I mean everything's bizarre and ohgodnowhywaitwhat.
OH MY GAWDO!!! NANI!!
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29783 on: January 01, 2017, 10:41:04 pm »

I still think that Steel Ball Run is the very height of the series.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29784 on: January 02, 2017, 03:20:16 pm »

I finished the Diamond is Unbreakable anime yesterday, and immediately started on the Vento Aureo manga. The whole series really picks up steam after Stardust Crusaders -- it's funny how much better the pacing feels when it's shitty teens with superpowers handling everyday life (and murder) vs. oddly buff teens handling endless streams of fights (and murder).

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29785 on: January 02, 2017, 04:10:24 pm »

As a warning, the original fan translation of Vento Aureo is really bad. The translation in general is very dry and there are quite a few parts where the translators didn't understand and just made stuff up. There's a better translation being done now but it isn't finished yet.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29786 on: January 02, 2017, 07:32:45 pm »

As a warning, the original fan translation of Vento Aureo is really bad. The translation in general is very dry and there are quite a few parts where the translators didn't understand and just made stuff up. There's a better translation being done now but it isn't finished yet.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm mostly going with Jojo's Colored Adventure's translation -- they only have colored chapters up until Aerosmith, but I haven't noticed any obvious grammar or phrasing issues that seem obviously off. (versus the translation I read for the first two parts that was so bad I had to wait for the anime to get into the series) I'm guessing it'll be really obvious when I run out of decent translations?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29787 on: January 03, 2017, 08:22:38 am »

Yeah JJCA is good and VA looks really cool in colour. The DiMolto tumblr is also doing translations but it's not in chronological order - they're instead focusing on the chapters that are most important or most confusing in the original translation. I think there's still some incomplete arcs towards the end.

The original translation isn't like the infamous 'Duwang' version of DiU - that was done by students who understood the source material but were bad at English, so the general meaning was usually correct but the English was very poor. The original VA translation was by people who knew English but weren't that good at Japanese, so it reads fine but is sometimes just wrong and characterless.

Currently I am struggling through the series in Japanese.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:27:19 am by Leafsnail »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29788 on: January 05, 2017, 12:21:42 pm »

Where the rulers of the world, I.E. those with the most friends, all sign a treaty and separate their citizens at all times, to prevent friendships from forming and changing the status quo.

But surely their oppressive rule can be overthrown by a ragtag team of teenagers with the power of... you guessed it, friendship.

This is a brilliant idea.

NO WAIT

Instead of friendship, aforementioned teenagers all hate each other & only work together b/c they begrudgingly admit that they are physically incapable of doing it alone, and they don't even want to socialize with other people but they want to have the option, even if they're not going to use it. The final boss would see them fighting among themselves and exasperatedly ask why fight for something the hate so much and the heroes are like "it's the principle of the matter."
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai: Battle Shounen edition

Only remotely serious bad guys I can think of in anything that use the power of friendship are 40k's orks, and even that's bending the definition a bit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:23:27 pm by Cruxador »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29789 on: January 05, 2017, 02:49:00 pm »

Well, there's also the Shrike, though that bends "friendship" and "bad guy" around in all sorts of Eldritch knots.

Spoiler: The Missus contributed (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:53:18 pm by Max™ »
Pages: 1 ... 1984 1985 [1986] 1987 1988 ... 2193