Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072763 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29640 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »

That occurred to me, but... her farewell speech isn't exactly Think of Me, but it's very close. :P

I guess it might not be the case, but that would be disappointing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29641 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:53 pm »

Well there's nothing saying that the reference might be there, but was created in the opposite order. (No I'm not saying the Phantom of the Opera is referencing Steins;Gate through time travel shenanigans, fitting though that might be. I'm saying that maybe the name was created first due to the aforementioned reason, and then as a result the reference became possible, i.e. the name creates the reference, as opposed to the reference creating the name).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29642 on: December 08, 2016, 04:35:02 am »

Watching A Certain Magical Index, got super hyped when I got to Accelerator's first appearance, he's kinda the reason I learned about this show, and he didn't disappoint. Get to the climactic arc fight against Touma, and HE KEEPS GETTING IN MELEE RANGE LIKE AN IDIOT. WHY. WHY WOULD YOU OPEN YOURSELF UP TO A BEING WHO YOU KNOW CAN TOUCH YOU, HAS A HELL OF A RIGHT CROSS AND THE GUTS TO TAKE YOU CHARGING HEAD ON.

He practically gift-wrapped his defeat.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29643 on: December 08, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »

Hey everyone. I've been busy cleaning out my backlog of anime and stuff.

I kinda want to take back all my appreciation for Persona 3 and 4. There's just something about the writing that rubs me the wrong way on a very personal level. Your character is meant to be a blank slate, but how that translates as he progresses though social links starts to resemble someone who's a shameless social chameleon, a sociopath, or just someone that's a plain ass-kissing sycophant. It's hard to imagine that he interacts with people normally when he has the ulterior motive of knowing that talking to the girl in band class will give him greater magical power a Hindu god or whatever. It just feels kinda alienating when I'm basically piloting around a mannequin that simply grinds for relationship points and is irresistibly attractive through sheer force of authorial power. I just want to enjoy the fake videogame waifus, but I'm right in the uncanny valley of fakeness to realness ratio.

I've also just finished Rose of Versailles, and that was a very dramatic show I'll tell you hwat. There's gotta be some kinda record set by this show though, for most times characters will cry throughout the show. It seems that every single episode someone will just start crying for whatever reason: dramatic emphasis, mourning, bawling over whatever such and such reason. I'm not sure if it would hold the record, but it's gotta be up there.

Also I've been enjoying the live-action Detective Conan movies, and while everything about them is schlocky, hammy, inconsistent, and generally mediocre and second rate (for real, I think inspector Megure is played by a different actor in every one of the four movies I watched, one by tiny ?woman? in a fat suit and mustache, and one time replacing his wide brimmed hat inexplicably with a plaid trilby like nobody would notice) the one thing they all got PERFECT was the actor that plays Mori Koguro, who ramps up his animated counterpart's idiocy to a whole new level. I absolutely love this guy, I want all the animated episodes retroactively shooped to include the live action Koguro, he's amazing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:01:57 pm by JoshuaFH »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29644 on: December 08, 2016, 03:15:40 pm »

Watching A Certain Magical Index, got super hyped when I got to Accelerator's first appearance, he's kinda the reason I learned about this show, and he didn't disappoint. Get to the climactic arc fight against Touma, and HE KEEPS GETTING IN MELEE RANGE LIKE AN IDIOT. WHY. WHY WOULD YOU OPEN YOURSELF UP TO A BEING WHO YOU KNOW CAN TOUCH YOU, HAS A HELL OF A RIGHT CROSS AND THE GUTS TO TAKE YOU CHARGING HEAD ON.

He practically gift-wrapped his defeat.
To be fair while it's not as noticeable in the anime the books highlight a bit more strongly the fact that if Accelerator touched Touma even once anywhere else he was basically dead, as well as highlighting all the effort Touma was doing to close the gap (i.e. it wasn't just Accelerator running at him like an idiot). That said there was also a fair bit of stupidity brought on by the fact that he's never really had to learn to fight, his own conceit at not taking Touma seriously, and then the shock of finally encountering something that can actually get to him. Lastly keep in mind that after he did take a hit or two he wanted to do something really gruesome to Touma, and he can't control vectors unless he's touching them (the whole plasma thing was more the realization that he was already "touching" all the air on the planet instead of any sort of level up, [though I guess the whole "all powers are really just mind-based small-scale reality warping means that a realization like that actually is a level up :P]).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #29645 on: December 08, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »

So how about them Flip Flappers?

...Well, I'm not sure if there's anything to say about it that isn't massive spoilers right now. Yayakat is still cute, I guess.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29646 on: December 08, 2016, 05:52:38 pm »

I kinda want to take back all my appreciation for Persona 3 and 4. There's just something about the writing that rubs me the wrong way on a very personal level. Your character is meant to be a blank slate, but how that translates as he progresses though social links starts to resemble someone who's a shameless social chameleon, a sociopath, or just someone that's a plain ass-kissing sycophant. It's hard to imagine that he interacts with people normally when he has the ulterior motive of knowing that talking to the girl in band class will give him greater magical power a Hindu god or whatever. It just feels kinda alienating when I'm basically piloting around a mannequin that simply grinds for relationship points and is irresistibly attractive through sheer force of authorial power. I just want to enjoy the fake videogame waifus, but I'm right in the uncanny valley of fakeness to realness ratio.

To be fair, the P3 protagonist (at the least) IS a huge sociopath who manipulates everyone around him. That's kinda his deal.
The game goes into it later on, but he has a lot of emotional issues and can't really interact with people normally.
I know a lot of people view the Persona protagonists the same way they do Skyrim create-a-characters, but I wouldn't exactly refer to them as blank slates, persay.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29647 on: December 08, 2016, 06:07:48 pm »

The whole point of the Persona 4 protagonist is that he has "no personality" so to speak. That is why he has so many ways he can act... (Joker is a 0 afterall)

Since this is the anime section... The anime actually adds a scene where the protagonist is deadly worried that he is just an empty shell with nothing inside.

Plus another scene that I won't spoil... but it puts a lot into context as well.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29648 on: December 08, 2016, 11:20:30 pm »

Plus another scene that I won't spoil... but it puts a lot into context as well.
*Ahem*
If that is the part you're talking about.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #29649 on: December 08, 2016, 11:38:45 pm »

Wait are we talking about Persona 4 the Animation or Persona 4 Golden the Animation?

Cause those are VERY different.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29650 on: December 08, 2016, 11:41:38 pm »

Wait are we talking about Persona 4 the Animation or Persona 4 Golden the Animation?

I've watched both, and I agree, but at the moment I'm talking specifically about Persona 4 the Animation, not the Golden Version.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #29651 on: December 08, 2016, 11:57:33 pm »

I've watched both, and I agree, but at the moment I'm talking specifically about Persona 4 the Animation, not the slice of waifu Version.

Mmmk, just wanted to clear that up.  Haven't seen P4A in a while and I never got past the first few episodes of P4GA.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29652 on: December 09, 2016, 02:42:28 am »

So how about them Flip Flappers?

...Well, I'm not sure if there's anything to say about it that isn't massive spoilers right now. Yayakat is still cute, I guess.
Flip Flappers is fantastic, not quite Keijo!!!! level of "oh, uh... what am I watching?" but a lot easier to get others to pick up.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29653 on: December 09, 2016, 03:20:00 am »

Okay i watched Keijo because i was horribly bored and because you guys kept suggesting it...then i watched it as some kind of morbid guilty pleasure...today i saw the reference to Fate/Zero...fuck this. This is awesome...this is glorious. This is better than guilty pleasure.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29654 on: December 09, 2016, 03:46:46 am »

The fact that every time you start to wonder if they're actually going to go all the way with a joke, they confirm that no, they're going to go further. Titty Hypnosis, Butt Missile, Vacuum Butt Strikes, good lord.
Pages: 1 ... 1975 1976 [1977] 1978 1979 ... 2193