Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3072426 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29580 on: November 28, 2016, 08:02:13 pm »

I always preferred him
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29581 on: November 28, 2016, 08:05:44 pm »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29582 on: November 28, 2016, 08:17:07 pm »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29583 on: November 28, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »

IIRC the camera angles in that last scene also seem to go out of there way to avoid showing whether she is talking to someone or just talking to herself, as if they were trying to hide something, which was another hint.

Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29584 on: November 28, 2016, 10:03:21 pm »

That, and in the last scene Lelouch's eyes are clear. That says that he's a Codebearer at that point to me, and that his "death" is just like any of C.C.'s prior to that. I never bought the idea that he genuinely believed that >just< dying would create a lasting peace; that's obviously bullshit to anyone remotely familiar with human nature, it's incredibly unlikely for him to make that assumption. I've said it before, but it fits his character very well to make the final sacrifice of giving up contact with almost everyone that he loves and abandoning his pride in order to maintain his peace from behind the scenes.

I'm hopeful that his role in S3 is going to be a blend of his past role and C.C.'s, where he's forced to act through an intermediary by bestowing a Geass. Lots of good potential for Code Geass-style conflict between human frailty and political scheming in there. With the prior assumption it also makes a nice callback, with an unexpected deviation throwing his plan off the rails and forcing him to intervene more directly. Bonus points if it's caused at least partially by C.C. trying to groom someone else to take her Code.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29585 on: November 28, 2016, 11:06:35 pm »

Code Geass season 3? Did not see that coming ...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29586 on: November 29, 2016, 12:47:36 am »

Oh yeah, and I got around to watching Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. On episode 7 of the second day of viewing, it's actually managing to hold my attention. Quite a bit of fun, even if there's some shit that's annoying (the continual "WE LOVE YOU SAVIOR / WE HATE YOU NONHUMAN SCUM" cycle) and some that doesn't make sense (if they can make shaped-charge suicide packs effective enough to blow out your heart after transformation, why don't they make spears tipped with similar charges to kill the heavy metal zombies at a safe distance? If one-lens-glasses-guy managed to stop the infection and give himself the superhuman zombie strength via autoerotic asphyxiation, why didn't he fucking tell people "hey if you get bit and aren't being mobbed just tighten a belt around your neck as far as it will go and it might stop you from turning"? Yeah, living as a zombie-human hybrid that needs blood to survive and stay sane kinda sucks, but on the flipside you're still alive, you're immune to further infection, and your physical baseline is probably beyond peak human ability so you can kick ass protecting your friends and family).

I mean, maybe the heavily emphasized green rock also plays a role, but he doesn't know that if it does. Also god damn but a lot of people in this show are bipolar.

3. Run Resize Enable

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29587 on: November 29, 2016, 01:22:06 am »

Oh yeah, and I got around to watching Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. On episode 7 of the second day of viewing, it's actually managing to hold my attention. Quite a bit of fun, even if there's some shit that's annoying (the continual "WE LOVE YOU SAVIOR / WE HATE YOU NONHUMAN SCUM" cycle) and some that doesn't make sense (if they can make shaped-charge suicide packs effective enough to blow out your heart after transformation, why don't they make spears tipped with similar charges to kill the heavy metal zombies at a safe distance? If one-lens-glasses-guy managed to stop the infection and give himself the superhuman zombie strength via autoerotic asphyxiation, why didn't he fucking tell people "hey if you get bit and aren't being mobbed just tighten a belt around your neck as far as it will go and it might stop you from turning"? Yeah, living as a zombie-human hybrid that needs blood to survive and stay sane kinda sucks, but on the flipside you're still alive, you're immune to further infection, and your physical baseline is probably beyond peak human ability so you can kick ass protecting your friends and family).

I mean, maybe the heavily emphasized green rock also plays a role, but he doesn't know that if it does. Also god damn but a lot of people in this show are bipolar.
That all makes sense and I want to express that I am in no way defending the show because wow it was never really ever supposed to be very smart, but I think the whole suicide packs are a bit bulky to use properly, having a gun that pierces their heart 1/4 times or so is probably better against unending hordes if you can carry enough of those bullets, and the whole asphyxiation method seemed to require a bit more than just tightening a belt, I mean, jeez, the dude required heavy machinery to tighten it enough.
That said, I could never figure out if the corruption visible on your skin when you get bitten is symbolic or a physical thing, I mean, the MC reacted to the glowy veins of doom pretty well whenever he saw them getting past his 'preventative measures', but then it wouldn't really gel with the fact that no normal human seems capable of distinguishing if you're infected or not, which would be made pretty obvious if the veins were actually *there*.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29588 on: November 29, 2016, 09:33:35 am »

Well, yeah, it'd not just be tying them to a stick. But they show that the people in that 'verse understand the concept of a shaped-charge (that, or an undirected packet of black powder is enough to do the job), so they should be able to work out how to make them. Seems pretty simple, just use a narrower cone of whatever it is around the head of a wood or bamboo staff, run the detonation cord back along the length of the staff (maybe have a couple eyehole screw-in bits to hold it?)

Of course judging by how things go it's apparently just as effective to behead the zombies as it is to destroy the heart. Why not shoot for the head (not really much different from trying to land a shot on the heart and hope it penetrates). If that's just a disabling wound, it still stops them from biting anyone or sensing anything so you can clean up later either by shooting the hearts until a shot penetrates or (again) using those primitive shaped charges.

Fair point on the rig he used... but they have man-portable steam engines, apparently, since that's what they use to power the guns. Why not run a band up from those to a neck brace and tightening band attached to the same (don't want to just have a band pulling the neck down, that's a good way to break the spine I'd think) so that if you get bit you or someone else can (say) flip a safety cover off of the triggering lever and use the backpack steam generator to power it?

Like, shit, kid was able to rig up that device and crude cartridges with scraps in his spare time. They apparently have the technical know-how to keep giant trains running with few/no problems, build use & maintain fucking steam-powered gas rifles, lay railroad tracks good enough that they don't need dedicated repair vehicles all over the place to keep them clear and usable despite everywhere being uninhabited save by murderous strong-fast-zombies and the tracks having heavy wear from the fortress-trains, build giant fucking steampunk fortresses in twenty years with what was apparently a pre-industrial tech base, &c...

I'm willing to buy the premise, but it'd be nice if they applied that generosity to more than the backstory of the setting.

3. Run Resize Enable

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29589 on: November 30, 2016, 12:20:39 am »

Well, I'm not talking about them not being smart enough to make shape charges like that, just that even if it has a 100% chance of going through a zombo's heart, that's still not good enough compared to a tool that only works a quarter of the time but with fifty times the ammo, which is what those guns are.

I'm with you on that whole brain thing, though, they don't seem to be armoured anywhere else, and katana dude could chop off heads like there was no tomorrow, I just kinda assumed that they weren't bothered by mashed brains from a bullet, all they needed was some brain matter to be connected, s'not really any worse than what else they need you to believe.

One thing I'm permanently confused by is why the steam powered weaponry(Apart from the fact that holy shit it looks awesome, which can be a reason by itself), because they have proper bullets, nobody seemed especially surprised when the MC unveiled his tech and mentioned that it used some kind of gunpowder, so I guess most of the shooters are using standard bullets alongside steam pressure?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29590 on: November 30, 2016, 01:23:10 am »

Finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Christ, that was a trip. Even though I couldn't keep myself from compulsively checking Tvtropes after every episode, I was able to avoid the biggest spoilers, and all the little spoilers really didn't dilute the fun, feels and awe.

Fuck that demon cat bastard, I'll never be able to see that emoticon again without gritting my teeth.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29591 on: November 30, 2016, 01:46:28 am »

Finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Christ, that was a trip. Even though I couldn't keep myself from compulsively checking Tvtropes after every episode, I was able to avoid the biggest spoilers, and all the little spoilers really didn't dilute the fun, feels and awe.

Fuck that demon cat bastard, I'll never be able to see that emoticon again without gritting my teeth.
Have you watched the films? Because while the first two are just recap stuff with some small changes (and therefore aren't really that important) the third one keeps the ride going full force in an especially mind-twisty (and rather fan-polarizing) way.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29592 on: November 30, 2016, 06:29:32 am »

Urobuchi decided people were too satisfied with the balance of the ending of the series - too much silver lining, not enough edgelord downer, so he made the movie to fix that problem.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29593 on: November 30, 2016, 02:02:04 pm »

Urobuchi decided people were too satisfied with the balance of the ending of the series - too much silver lining, not enough edgelord downer, so he made the movie to fix that problem.

In all fairness, the movie is a clear sequel beg.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29594 on: November 30, 2016, 05:57:46 pm »

I have begun watching OPM.

The demon tile is amused.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 1971 1972 [1973] 1974 1975 ... 2193