Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1967 1968 [1969] 1970 1971 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3071535 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29520 on: November 19, 2016, 12:48:33 am »

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Flip Flappers is amazing. Hands down AotS. Latest episode was at once able to reveal a lot of setting details and exposition (the stuff that people were worried from the beginning might fall flat) while still being really subtle and intellectually enjoyable.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29521 on: November 19, 2016, 03:10:42 am »

A friend keeps trying to make me watch it, but I'm still holding out for some reason. The entire anime appears too random.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #29522 on: November 19, 2016, 09:45:09 am »

I'm waiting for it to be done and then I'll binge it.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29523 on: November 19, 2016, 12:59:09 pm »

The entire anime appears too random.
It's not random, there's reasons for everything. Or at least, most things. Enough to make me suspect that there's reasons for everything and they're just reasons that haven't been noticed yet, or have something to do with plot elements that are yet to be revealed. Like, there was a detail in the first episode (Cocona straightening her skirt, tugging it downward) which seemed like a cute inconsequential detail to show she's a bit prim, but when it cropped up again in the latest episode people noticed it's to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some of the "random" stuff in the visual direction is in reference to specific works of art, and there might not be more significance to those than what's implied by a decent knowledge of art history but those bits are also not totally necessary I think, except for the dark forest resembling Ophelia without the titular character, which is directly shown rather than just referenced. And the visual direction all fits within the story, so if you don't think too heavily on the animation decisions behind why things look the way they do, it won't matter much. Though you'll hopefully be similarly non-scrutinous about the story, because nothing is explained directly and if you're used to shows where they pause the action so characters can explain what's going on, you'll be confused. Not that you won't be a bit confused anyway, there's a level of mystery which is intentional and which is part of the charm.

I'm waiting for it to be done and then I'll binge it.
There's likely going to be a lot you miss at that rate.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29524 on: November 19, 2016, 01:22:01 pm »

Hmm, maybe I'll give it a go then, Cruxador.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29525 on: November 21, 2016, 10:09:23 am »

I am starting to think that the reason why animes that restart themselves (as in a time loop thing) often end up REALLY good... is because they actually have a perfect way to allow the main character to make mistakes and develop their character.

To admit though Umineko would have turned to trash had it continued... (seriously it gets DUUUUUMB! The anime cuts out right before a lot of stupidity happens... Whatever theories you had where it ended are WAAAY better then what they went with.)

Yet both Higurashi (kind of... it is mixed for me really) and uhhh... Start From Zero? (Is that its name?) were really good!

Especially Start From Zero. I knew it was popular but you know me, I avoid popular things like the plague... But the plot intrigued me.

Heck there were several points where I was hoping they would actually use their plot developments and they did! they don't weasel out as much as one might think just because they have a reset button. Nor do they have the main character intentionally kill himself to reset the timer because of one mistake.

All this without any mind screws like say Stien's Gate (or so I am told)

They BETTER have a Season 2

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29526 on: November 21, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »

Alright. I caught up to ep. 7 of Flip Flappers. My flips have been thoroughly flapped.

Now I can't choose between 3-Gatsu no Lion and Flip Flappers for AotS.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29527 on: November 21, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »

I thought Higurashi was better as an inexplicably resetting horror show. The time-travel stuff, while well-foreshadowed and integrated, just didn't seem to mesh with what came before.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29528 on: November 21, 2016, 06:35:50 pm »

TBH the best way to enjoy Higurashi (IMO, natch) is to just repeat the MST3K mantra whenever things start to not make sense. That and cheer in every cycle where Satoko's uncle gets killed or arrested.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29529 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:53 pm »

Unlikely since it's a LN advertisement. You can read the LNs though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29530 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:28 pm »

Unlikely since it's a LN advertisement. You can read the LNs though.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Seriously BOO!

It is like anime is being developed to make you hate anime. Imagine if movies were like... 25% finished and at the end it was like "Read the book!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29531 on: November 22, 2016, 12:12:08 am »

So DB Super is having an episode next week that looks straight out of old school DB with Puar and Pilaf and them screwing around trying to steal a wish.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29532 on: November 22, 2016, 01:44:00 am »

So I've been watching the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Its... I feel like I never know what to expect from an episode of it. Which is rather interesting. Just finished THAT part of it.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29533 on: November 22, 2016, 01:10:02 pm »

TBH the best way to enjoy Higurashi (IMO, natch) is to just repeat the MST3K mantra whenever things start to not make sense. That and cheer in every cycle where Satoko's uncle gets killed or arrested.
I think it explains everything very well in the original VN, although the anime is confusing in places. The last couple of arcs are definitely the best part of the series.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29534 on: November 22, 2016, 02:19:58 pm »

So I've been watching the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Its... I feel like I never know what to expect from an episode of it. Which is rather interesting. Just finished THAT part of it.

I was a late adopter too... didn't catch Haruhi until my most recent Anime binge. Really interesting directing decisions on that particular arc, too. I was surprised they reiterated that much. And yeah, they do a good job with making unpredictable content. I enjoyed the premise enough to track down the Manga once I ran out of Anime. It's a little different, but pretty good!

P.S. Nagato is Best Being.
Pages: 1 ... 1967 1968 [1969] 1970 1971 ... 2193