Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1961 1962 [1963] 1964 1965 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070454 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29430 on: October 30, 2016, 05:43:43 pm »

Missus has seen Keijo!!!!, hasn't seen Pacific Rim until just now, I was explaining that it is ok to find giant robots punching kaiju fun, and then a bit after she says "kaijo" and now I've got the idea of Hip Whip Kaiju in my head... goddammit woman.
Just watched drifters too...
*Perks up*

Sorry, this is not available in your region
*Perks the fuck back down again*
*cough*kissanimedoesntworkforyou?*cough*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29431 on: October 31, 2016, 01:04:24 am »

Sorry, this is not available in your region
*Perks the fuck back down again*
It's available, just not on that particular website. nyaa and xdcc are region-agnostic.

Loyalty I believe isn't a Virtue in the USA (I think... hmm I am probably wrong). While it is one of the main virtues of Japanese society (and China)
Loyalty is a virtue pretty much everywhere, to some extent, but it is not highly valued in the upper echelons of US culture: the rich white America. Poorer people and (though I think this is a less direct determiner) people of color value it much more highly. This is from whence comes the famous American saying "Snitches Get Stitches" but it represents itself in much more communal values in all areas of life, whereas rich people will provide for their kids to the best of their ability but generally think of success as a thing that is done by people independently of each other, not in groups.

Their typical egalitarian attitude and idea that loyalty is something that must be earned
"Loyalty must be earned" isn't something I've heard. I've heard "Respect must be earned" but it's a less popular viewpoint than "everyone deserves respect". Or at least, in California it is.

HECK Kids can't get kicked out of school for being Pregnant! (though I think they often leave school willingly because of the taboo)
Dropping out due to pregnancy is so ubiquitous here that despite going to an American high school I had to look it up to see if you were correct that schools can't kick people out.

okay enough about egalitarian whatevers you guys are talking about.  this is anime thread for anime
I haven't had time to watch the latest Flip Flap episode yet but I'll come rave about it in a day or two.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29432 on: October 31, 2016, 01:08:34 am »

Drifters is great. That is all.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29433 on: October 31, 2016, 01:15:41 am »

Drifters is great. That is all.
Best action show this season, I reckon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29434 on: October 31, 2016, 01:43:16 am »

Yeah I had to look it up.

The reason I was confused as to whether loyalty is a virtue is because I personally do not believe loyalty to a bad cause is a good thing and that "Don't be a backstabber" is a separate virtue altogether as you cannot really be loyal to everyone.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29435 on: October 31, 2016, 02:27:05 am »

Yeah I had to look it up.

The reason I was confused as to whether loyalty is a virtue is because I personally do not believe loyalty to a bad cause is a good thing and that "Don't be a backstabber" is a separate virtue altogether as you cannot really be loyal to everyone.
It seems like you have a fairly specific definition of loyalty, I would consider it much broader. Not backstabbing people is entry level loyalty, in the same way that not stealing from the poor is low level charity. You should be able to show that level of loyalty to everyone, and while we might call this trustworthiness more readily than loyalty, it falls under the same mantle; it is perhaps an interrelated virtue but rather than a separate one, I think it's a separate facet of the same thing. It's quite hard, after all, to imagine a practical case when someone is trustworthy to another person and does not thus show some loyalty to that person, and it's equally hard to imagine someone behaving loyally to a person without also being trustworthy to that individual.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29436 on: October 31, 2016, 01:48:16 pm »

New SRWV trailer! Mmmmm that Mazin Emperor G

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29437 on: October 31, 2016, 04:41:41 pm »

Sometimes there are no good options, and the best you can do is to choose the lesser evil. If loyalty to a unworthy cause will cause you greater dishonor than disloyalty to that same cause, then suffering the dishonor of disloyalty may be that lesser evil.

Of course, rationalizing your actions to yourself is easy with a bit of practice. Rationalizing them to your peers can be somewhat more challenging.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29438 on: October 31, 2016, 04:45:37 pm »

Tch. Didn't watch Grimgor because crunchyroll refused to show it to me. Not going to make the same mistake with Drifters.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29439 on: October 31, 2016, 04:57:39 pm »

It's fine. It's not even dubbed yet so there's no problem.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29440 on: October 31, 2016, 05:08:45 pm »

Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29441 on: October 31, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »

okay enough about egalitarian whatevers you guys are talking about.  this is anime thread for anime
I haven't had time to watch the latest Flip Flap episode yet but I'll come rave about it in a day or two.
Actually, maybe I just missed it because with no 「PURE ILLUSION」 the metaphors were less obvious, but this one wasn't as over the top. Of course, I guess if they're gonna take this series seriously there need to be slower episodes too. Maybe when I rewatch it I'll notice more, but it feels like it's just a "slow down and explain the transitions" episode, the sort which some people complained about lacking between the first three episodes, but which I rather liked the lack of. I don't mind slow paces, but one thing I liked about the first episodes of Flip Flap was not slowing down to hold your hand on explaining things.

Might not help that the site I usually go to for theories and things is currently overrun with the idea that episode 2 is a menstruation metaphor.

Sometimes there are no good options, and the best you can do is to choose the lesser evil. If loyalty to a unworthy cause will cause you greater dishonor than disloyalty to that same cause, then suffering the dishonor of disloyalty may be that lesser evil.

Of course, rationalizing your actions to yourself is easy with a bit of practice. Rationalizing them to your peers can be somewhat more challenging.
That's an awfully elaborate way of telling Tack not to stick with CR.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29442 on: October 31, 2016, 08:55:07 pm »

The missus was asking me to explain Flip Flappers for her, I've seen four episodes, she had seen two, I was like "I have no fucking clue what's going on, just hang on and enjoy the ride" and Mad Max: Yuri Road(ep 3) sold her completely.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29443 on: October 31, 2016, 09:39:11 pm »

Simple answers are often easier, but elaborate answers are generally far more helpful.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29444 on: October 31, 2016, 10:36:24 pm »

Simple answers are often easier, but elaborate answers are generally far more helpful.
Not necessarily! If someone asked me what 5 * 120 was, I could go through a series of elaborate proofs (well, I couldn't actually, but you get the idea), or I could just give them the number. The former is more elaborate, but significantly less useful.

Is elaborateness and/or detail needed? If so, yes: the elaborate answer is more useful. If not, it's just pointlessly flowery.
Pages: 1 ... 1961 1962 [1963] 1964 1965 ... 2193