Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1959 1960 [1961] 1962 1963 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070456 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29400 on: October 28, 2016, 11:34:09 am »

Keijo... it's so damn ridiculous, they keep getting to points where you're thinking "maybe they're gonna go a bit more serious here" and then boom, one girl starts hypnotizing the others with her breasts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29401 on: October 28, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »

Whelp... My opinion on Japan keeps getting lower and lower

Though I am being silly...

Since I know that Japan is a "transitional country" as it is still going from VERY traditional viewpoints to more secular viewpoint... with both being in prominence at the same time. This is just affirmation to this fact and I am not learning anything new.

It just... Hurts to experience the more... damaging aspects of Japanese society. (Such as the Gamera movie where these farmers were guilty of forstalling progress by holding out for more money from the government... The poor farmers... were the bad guys...)

Though GOODNESS does it really change how I look at some anime when I see some of the narrative triteness wasn't... triteness but "How things are" in their POV.

---

Also to preempt the whole "But America does it too!" because... of course any criticism I do here means America MUST be perfect... Or that Japan MUST be pure unadulterated evil instead of being... you know... A COUNTRY.

Just play any episode of Modern Law and Order and I am sure there is something in there I want to destroy.

In fact... I hate modern Law and Order more then anything else I've seen... Except MAAAYBE FOZ... But FOZ is a scummy anime that has my justified contempt.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:58:21 pm by Neonivek »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29402 on: October 28, 2016, 04:06:09 pm »

Been watching some episodes of Tiger & Bunny the last few days now.
And I have just watched episode 20
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:08:42 pm by Ultimuh »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29403 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:43 pm »

You're kindof getting there yourself but trashy cartoons aren't necessarily an accurate representation of a country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29404 on: October 30, 2016, 07:20:22 am »

Ok WHEW... Ok the show is turning around and after I calmed down I understand that everything the character said is meant to be "Counter cultural" and somewhat traditional. SOME of it is meant to be "unintuitively true" but the fact that she constantly relies on that as a justification is sort of where we are meant to clue in.

And now, of course, everything is falling apart around the character for... exactly what she preaches.

She had to lie, cheat, set children against eachother, spy on them, control their lives, and everything just to keep up the illusion of what an "Elite" is.

---

You're kindof getting there yourself but trashy cartoons aren't necessarily an accurate representation of a country.

Sort of... Media is usually an echo-chamber of a societies values, albeit idealized... As well as their anxiety and prejudices.

The USA does have an appreciation for money... even if it is earned... unscrupulously after all.

---

Actually you know what all this makes me want to see?

Most of these shows are about power, respect, honor and we see what it takes to maintain this.

Yet this power, respect, and honor is rarely used to actually do the things people would wish they had the tools to do.

If anything the act of maintaining power becomes more important.

A show about someone who is so driven into trying to maintain it... That in the end they do no good. They have a lot of opportunities to do something, anything... But in the end they saw the sacrifice of even a bit of their hard earned power as too far... and thus they crumble and become impotent and useless.

I want to see that show! and it better not be the show about the guy who can mind control you but only once :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:26:14 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29405 on: October 30, 2016, 08:32:07 am »

Doesn't deathnote run along those lines? Not quite directly but fairly close.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29406 on: October 30, 2016, 08:42:05 am »

Doesn't deathnote run along those lines? Not quite directly but fairly close.

That is more that in order to keep up Light's idea of a perfect world he has to do one horrible thing after another until he is far far worse then anyone he criticized. That even if you considered Light's goals just, he had to commit far greater evil to achieve it.

Rather then the stagnation I am suggesting :P

----

Edit: Nevermind you are meant to agree with the main character of the show I was referring to earlier... Stupid stupidness I hate you show I hate you!

Not as bad as FoZ in terms of depicting a deplorable, hateful, spiteful, wretched human being as "Appealing"... But it certainly is in the running.

And to de-stress I will state FoZ that just because you have an EXCUSE for why the main character is a horrible horrible human being... it doesn't mean it justifies how they act in the present. Zero being looked down upon for not being good at magic isn't an excuse for her being abusive.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:41:24 am by Neonivek »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29407 on: October 30, 2016, 10:25:01 am »

That is more that in order to keep up Light's idea of a perfect world he has to do one horrible thing after another until he is far far worse then anyone he criticized. That even if you considered Light's goals just, he had to commit far greater evil to achieve it.

As I see it, Light (almost) didn't get worse at all during the show. From the beginning he was willing to sacrifice other people to make the world a better place for him. The Death Note just gave him the ability to do his thing. Most of the story is just about him having to deal with the consequences of his actions he did not plan for, namely the fact that people would try to stop him more effectively than he expected, thus forcing him to take more drastic action.

Now you might say that he becomes more evil because he is willing to take those drastic steps, but from his perspective it makes perfect sense, because he absolutely needs to take those steps in order to not get caught and die. Except... for that one place where I believe he made a rather questionable decision, namely the part where he decided he'd only seal his knowledge away temporarily instead of giving up completely. Given all those unforeseen (yet obvious in hindsight) consequences he has had to deal with so far, he could have decided it was way too risky to continue and could have just given up with a perfect alibi instead of continuing to be Japan's most wanted criminal. In this case he wasn't forced to a choice by Rem, but he decided to continue because he was having so much fun with his mindgames with L ("I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT") that he probably just didn't consider the alternative.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29408 on: October 30, 2016, 10:30:05 am »

Pretty sure most signs pointed towards a lot more than just that, though, neo. Lou's home life would probably have ended up with at least her mom in jail, were it in more modern times. Her mother wasn't very good at being one. Heart was arguably in the right place, but that was about it.

Also not just being looked down on, if the work was much to go by. You had folks openly mocking her in the middle of classes -- multiple ones, and by all appearances ones not part of any habitual harassing group. That points to a pretty seriously messed up social situation, to say the least. "Looked down on" doesn't cover the likely severity when stuff like that's happening.

L being abused and suffering an apparently wide spread and persistent bullying etc. campaign... well, it still doesn't excuse being abusive (to the extent it actually was, and not just anime tropes being themselves), because precisely bloody nothing does that, but it certainly explains a lot of it. Significant social maladaption/ostracization, severe class-related issues, all on top of an upbringing that would be abusive by almost any standard and hammered in a really messed up set of values, particularly in relation to personal strength. Then tossed on top of a series of events that would break a lot of (most, really) people in two, psychologically. If you're trying to take the series particularly seriously on that front you're dealing with a spectacularly fucked up set of main characters.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29409 on: October 30, 2016, 10:40:34 am »

As I see it, Light (almost) didn't get worse at all during the show.

Ok instead of stepping back to reassert what I meant lets take what you are saying here. Light didn't get worse? Lets ignore the people he killed in order to protect his identity.

Well at the start of the show/manga he only killed people he was absolutely sure were murderers... But as the show went on who he considered to be worthy of killing became wider and wider. Until he was perfectly willing to kill people who basically committed any crime.

Or the innocent people he killed for his own gains later on.

-Below is Familiar of Zero... and as you know I hate it with the fury of a thousand suns... thus I'll keep it in spoilers because I can go on and on-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:53:36 am by Neonivek »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29410 on: October 30, 2016, 11:15:23 am »

As I see it, Light (almost) didn't get worse at all during the show.

Ok instead of stepping back to reassert what I meant lets take what you are saying here. Light didn't get worse? Lets ignore the people he killed in order to protect his identity.

Well at the start of the show/manga he only killed people he was absolutely sure were murderers... But as the show went on who he considered to be worthy of killing became wider and wider. Until he was perfectly willing to kill people who basically committed any crime.

Or the innocent people he killed for his own gains later on.
You completely ignore his motives. At the start of the show, his primary focus was to remove all the bad guys on Earth. He started with the most obvious ones, not because they were of highest priority, but since they were easiest to find. When people found out there was someone behind all the heart attacks, he chose his victims and death methods to build a positive public profile, and of course he had to use verified criminals for that. Later on, out of necessity he killed people that were too close to his secrets, and other people for personal benefits. Even later, he starts killing people for personal reasons, such as revenge.

Clearly there's a whole bunch of escalation of violence here, but not necessarily escalation of evil. Obviously Light is pretty evil at the end. But since when was Light a good guy in the beginning? Think about it. He's never shown to have any people he holds dear, he doesn't have friends except when he needs some for cover, he doesn't interact with people in ways that don't give him personal benefit. Light was a sociopath since episode 1, he's always been that evil. All that ever changed during the show was the circumstances.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29411 on: October 30, 2016, 11:22:13 am »

I was being "Even if you assume he started out good" :P I wasn't asserting he was.

---

Well all in all I got to see a side of Japan I never want to see again :P

It is so weird and so alien that I have to... check to see if things are true or not.

Is Honesty even a virtue in Japan? (AHHH!!! research is confusing!)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:07:01 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29412 on: October 30, 2016, 01:38:30 pm »

As much as it is anywhere, so far as I can recall.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29413 on: October 30, 2016, 01:56:00 pm »

As much as it is anywhere, so far as I can recall.

It is actually a very interesting subject as honesty in traditional virtues was interlinked with fealty.

As well Japanese society is very... secretive so to speak.

One person I spoke to said, but they are hardly an expert, is that Honesty is a virtue but it assumes that it is to your family, boss, and stuff... but not to strangers.

Though my research basically says that Japan's traditional and current views haven't changed all that much (so to speak) and it is more that they are trying to apply traditional views to modern times. Which isn't anything new.

---

I try not to assume virtues are the same all over as there are differences and intersections.

Loyalty I believe isn't a Virtue in the USA (I think... hmm I am probably wrong). While it is one of the main virtues of Japanese society (and China)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:04:12 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29414 on: October 30, 2016, 02:03:28 pm »

No, it is. It's just the ideal vis a vis virtues and the practice are often farcically different things.

Not really sure where you got the idea that loyalty isn't seen as a virtue in the states from...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1959 1960 [1961] 1962 1963 ... 2193