Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070745 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29115 on: September 27, 2016, 08:04:05 am »

In Psycho Pass, it is weird that the main characters are basically Dystopian Fascist Thought Police, that have instant access to anyone and everyone's personal details from corporations to citizens, including every small minutiae of their daily lives and even their innermost thoughts, using weapons that can explode people on a glancing blow, and they're not afraid to use them on unarmed, fleeing, harmless, nonthreatening, injured, or otherwise unconfirmed perps, giving them no chance at anything even vaguely resembling justice... Am I supposed to be rooting for these protags? Because nearly every non-police person is very justified in being scared utterly shitless of our cute waifu heroine.

Also, for what is seemingly a totalitarian police state, the actual police force is... very small. There's only something like seven or eight people in its entirety it seems, which I suppose makes sense cause Jesus Christ would you want to work with these guys?

The brain scanners are omnipresent. And they've already weeded out almost all people who might question the system before the start of the series. So they don't need many police: the police only deal with the unlikely cases that occur. The number of aberrant people probably spiked right after Cybil was implemented, then dropped back down. But remember, the ranks of the indoctrinated "never question the system" folks includes the police officers themselves. If you start asking questions, then you know what happens to you (actually most people don't know because curious people tend to become alarmed and trigger the scanners). Therefore when folks are told by Cybil that they need to work for the police or any other branch they go along with it, because the types of people who might question that are already controlled.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:13:18 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29116 on: September 27, 2016, 08:33:00 am »

In Psycho Pass, it is weird that the main characters are basically Dystopian Fascist Thought Police, that have instant access to anyone and everyone's personal details from corporations to citizens, including every small minutiae of their daily lives and even their innermost thoughts, using weapons that can explode people on a glancing blow, and they're not afraid to use them on unarmed, fleeing, harmless, nonthreatening, injured, or otherwise unconfirmed perps, giving them no chance at anything even vaguely resembling justice... Am I supposed to be rooting for these protags? Because nearly every non-police person is very justified in being scared utterly shitless of our cute waifu heroine.

Also, for what is seemingly a totalitarian police state, the actual police force is... very small. There's only something like seven or eight people in its entirety it seems, which I suppose makes sense cause Jesus Christ would you want to work with these guys?

The brain scanners are omnipresent. And they've already weeded out almost all people who might question the system before the start of the series. So they don't need many police: the police only deal with the unlikely cases that occur. The number of aberrant people probably spiked right after Cybil was implemented, then dropped back down. But remember, the ranks of the indoctrinated "never question the system" folks includes the police officers themselves. If you start asking questions, then you know what happens to you (actually most people don't know because curious people tend to become alarmed and trigger the scanners). Therefore when folks are told by Cybil that they need to work for the police or any other branch they go along with it, because the types of people who might question that are already controlled.

Well, I suppose there's just so little crime that the itty bitty police force is just given every job as it comes, from handling the hyper intelligent serial killers that somehow evade all the brain scanners, right down to the random harmless creepers that are just kinda angrily standing around in a mall, all of them are equal priority to the guys that have the Kenshiro Guns.

EDIT: Also, the idea of holographic clothing creeps me out. Like, is it holographic? That's never elaborated on. If something interfered with that, like an EMP, would everyone just be walking around naked? Isn't anyone cold?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:35:04 am by JoshuaFH »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29117 on: September 27, 2016, 08:47:48 am »

Who knows~

Though it's not like we don't have fairly close equivalents right now. It's not exactly commonly paraded about, but body paint is totally a thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29118 on: September 27, 2016, 09:13:58 am »

I think the norm for wearing body paint sans all else in places where public exposure is a crime is to wear minimalist swimwear under the paint. Dunno why you wouldn't do the same for holo-clothes.

Granted it's more likely to be some sort of bodysuit that can project different outfits.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29119 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:14 am »

No, it's actually pretty interesting when shows aren't from the perspective of the person who's the moral superior of everyone else, it just creates this dissonant situation where the characters are the instigators of these utterly tragic and unjust situations, and then the characters have no introspective moment where they realize they've done something monstrous, instead they just shrug it off and go on about their day. I suppose that's just a natural repercussion of growing up in a society like that though, where it's obvious to the audience, but the characters are fully drunk on the fascist koolaid, so to them it just seems obvious that it's OK and wholly justified to be the judge, jury, and executioner. Like, "God it would just be so inconvenient if citizens had rights or if there were restrictions on the behavior of law enforcement, how would justice ever get done?"
Although it's unrelated in every other way, you might be interested in how Goblin Slayer's morality looks. There's only a couple chapters of the manga out, so it's a small time investment if nothing else.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29120 on: September 27, 2016, 02:26:35 pm »

Is anyone else getting the huge Blame! Masters edition? It's pretty awesome.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29121 on: September 27, 2016, 02:34:06 pm »

I just watched mob psycho 100 because some people I know were talking about it.

It seemed okay, not really anything special for an anime really, but well enough made and somewhat interesting. I guess I'd give it a solid 7/10. I think the best part was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:38:10 pm by Criptfeind »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29122 on: September 27, 2016, 03:00:57 pm »

Is anyone else getting the huge Blame! Masters edition? It's pretty awesome.
...I read "Blame!" and almost had a heart attack thinking that Sidonia was successful enough to get a Blame! anime done.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29123 on: September 27, 2016, 11:45:46 pm »

Whelp... I was kind of hoping the main character of Food Wars was going to come up with something interesting as his specialty.

But... yeah he didn't really change as a character.

Which would be fine except we are supposed to believe he did...

Food Wars is hurting me... It isn't crazy enough or bad enough for me to enjoy it on that side... but it isn't good enough for me to like it that way. (at least now that it REALLY REALLY stopped doing crazy stuff...)

I think after watching it enough I think my issue is that the show is painfully average in a way that it just barely scrapes upon the event horizon of being potentially good without going over.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29124 on: September 28, 2016, 04:00:22 am »

stopped doing crazy stuff.
Which is why Sakamoto was fun while it lasted, but I'm glad they ended it after just one season, and the ending was fitting too. It was really just multiple variations on the same joke, so it was good to know when to stop.

Whereas Food Wars was fun for a while with the novelty of the over the top food reactions, but it really hasn't got much direction other than that. It teeters along based on the cooking tournament/sports anime kind of plot rails. It really is like a sports anime but with food, except sports animes are much more focused even when they ramble on because they are constrained by how the real-world sport is structured. If you're making up a fantasy sport ("fantasy" in the sense of "fantasy football" not D&D), then it's easy to go off the rails since the writer can just throw random stuff in, like in Food Wars where the Shokugekis interrupt the normal tournament and have ridiculous rules and stakes. Even regular sports animes which are much longer than Food Wars usually don't feel as aimless as Food Wars feels, because it's clear what the characters are working towards. e.g. Diamond No Ace ended up at ~125 episodes, but it always felt like it was going somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:09:15 am by Reelya »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29125 on: September 28, 2016, 04:48:14 am »

No, it's actually pretty interesting when shows aren't from the perspective of the person who's the moral superior of everyone else, it just creates this dissonant situation where the characters are the instigators of these utterly tragic and unjust situations, and then the characters have no introspective moment where they realize they've done something monstrous, instead they just shrug it off and go on about their day. I suppose that's just a natural repercussion of growing up in a society like that though, where it's obvious to the audience, but the characters are fully drunk on the fascist koolaid, so to them it just seems obvious that it's OK and wholly justified to be the judge, jury, and executioner. Like, "God it would just be so inconvenient if citizens had rights or if there were restrictions on the behavior of law enforcement, how would justice ever get done?"

I'll keep on watching, because the show is obviously going somewhere, those were just my thoughts on the show as I was having them.

Just avoid season 2 and the movie. Probably the worst sequal to a good show i've ever had the misfortune of torturing myself with. If you see season 1 you already know the plot of season 2 anyways,

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29127 on: September 28, 2016, 07:10:34 am »

For Psycho-Pass, the same director and writer did season 1 and the movie, but not season 2. For season 2, the assistant director took the helm, and there was a new writer.

I think the movie is very different to both seasons, whereas S2 is basically a rehash of S1 trying to out edgelord it.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29128 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:42 am »

For Psycho-Pass, the same director and writer did season 1 and the movie, but not season 2. For season 2, the assistant director took the helm, and there was a new writer.

I think the movie is very different to both seasons, whereas S2 is basically a rehash of S1 trying to out edgelord it.
the movie might have had the same writer but it took place after season 2, and the result was that writer not giving a shit. It was better than season 2 but the animation and writing still had a noticeable drop.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29129 on: September 28, 2016, 02:23:18 pm »

I just watched mob psycho 100 because some people I know were talking about it.

It seemed okay, not really anything special for an anime really, but well enough made and somewhat interesting. I guess I'd give it a solid 7/10. I think the best part was
I kinda think you read into that different than what was intended. Past that discussion, what was actually accomplished? Yes, there was a fight, but the thing about fighting is that it's inherently destructive. If they hadn't used any psychic powers at that point, they would have been better off. Yes, they have a big hammer, but it's only good when the problem is a nail, and how many nails do you see in life? When you use a hammer but the problem is that your newborn baby is crying, you won't get a positive result. So the show told us the right result and showed us what's wrong with the wrong result.

Well, I might just be noticing this as clearly because I've read the manga though, and the end of the second season is even more explicit about this. Like a lot of things ONE does, it's a slow series so things don't always show what they're really about until later on. Like how a lot of anime-only fans didn't like Reigen at first.
Pages: 1 ... 1940 1941 [1942] 1943 1944 ... 2193