Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1938 1939 [1940] 1941 1942 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3071556 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29085 on: September 24, 2016, 02:18:45 pm »

In their defense, making a movie for an existing franchise seldom ends well; since it has to be isolated and self contained, it's usually an okay one-off thing at best and varying shades of terrible and/or pointless at worst. Adapting another work into a movie usually goes even worse, partially due to the differences in different mediums, partially because the isolation gap is basically absolute, and probably in large part because existing fans of the franchise are a relatively captive audience, so you just don't get as much benefit making it how they want compared to trying to rope in outside parties.

When you combine these two in order to adapt a long-running series into a standalone hour and a half, you're basically guaranteed to fail. I've even seen this happen retroactively, where a TV series based on some movies just had so much more time and thought to put into developing everything that it made the base works look rushed and bad.

...though to be fair, the movies in question were the Star Wars prequels, so the bar may have been a tad low.

EDIT:
I swear to God, after this manga reaches its ultimate conclusion, Skull Knight better get his own freaking series.
A lot of it is implied in little things like "hello struggler" and the cryptic warnings about "not having more than one you care for" in the context of Schierke's master and his friendship, plus how he responded to finding out she brought the armor out.

It is telling, I think, that he targets Void first.
I forgot to mention that I LOVE little details like this. Faint insinuations of terrible, world-shattering things long forgotten are the best.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:59:22 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29086 on: September 24, 2016, 11:02:00 pm »

I agree with Scarlett Johansson being cast as whatsherface. I haven't watched Ghost in the Shell myself but she seems like a good actor to play the MC based on her performance as Black Widow.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29087 on: September 24, 2016, 11:32:59 pm »

When you combine these two in order to adapt a long-running series into a standalone hour and a half, you're basically guaranteed to fail. I've even seen this happen retroactively, where a TV series based on some movies just had so much more time and thought to put into developing everything that it made the base works look rushed and bad.

I think the Air movie actually did this pretty well. They basically jettisoned all the side plots and the weird stuff (rehashing the whole plot after the hero died and was reincarnated as an animal), and focused on telling the one route as well as they could in 90 minutes. Sure, could have been a little better if they merged it with the Air In Summer OVA flashback material, but it is still a good example of how to convert a VN into a movie: just pick one route and go with that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:38:58 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29088 on: September 25, 2016, 12:03:05 am »

You get that with adaptations sometimes too where it was fine at the time, like it being hard to watch the Fate anime after soaking in Ufotable eyecandy.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29089 on: September 25, 2016, 09:00:59 am »

I agree with Scarlett Johansson being cast as whatsherface. I haven't watched Ghost in the Shell myself but she seems like a good actor to play the MC based on her performance as Black Widow.

Im most worried about how she's going to handle the performance. So far the promo material released so far she has what i saw described as a "deer in the headlights look" and i can only agree. The major typically wears an intense but relaxed look, not eyes wide and terrified. To me it looks like she watched the original movie and is poorly trying to emulate it.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29090 on: September 25, 2016, 10:21:44 am »

I think the Air movie actually did this pretty well. They basically jettisoned all the side plots and the weird stuff (rehashing the whole plot after the hero died and was reincarnated as an animal), and focused on telling the one route as well as they could in 90 minutes. Sure, could have been a little better if they merged it with the Air In Summer OVA flashback material, but it is still a good example of how to convert a VN into a movie: just pick one route and go with that.
The problem being that some people will inevitably get pissy that you picked "the worst girl route" and didn't pick their waifu.

If they made a Katawa Shoujo movie, for example, and picked the Hanako route, half the Shizune fans would go rabid. On the other hand, if they picked the Shizune route, someone would burn down their office building.

The waifu wars are real.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29091 on: September 25, 2016, 11:03:25 am »

Clearly the answer is a split screen movie that has all the routes playing out at once. Maybe you get special headphones to listen to your preferred version, maybe it's just glorious cacophony.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29092 on: September 25, 2016, 11:17:49 am »

Katawa Shoujo Movie? Oh, do you mean this one?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29093 on: September 25, 2016, 01:35:48 pm »

The third Digimon Tri has been out for a few days. Anyone else watch it? Cause oh god the feels ;_;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29094 on: September 25, 2016, 07:23:34 pm »

The problem being that some people will inevitably get pissy that you picked "the worst girl route" and didn't pick their waifu.

If they made a Katawa Shoujo movie, for example, and picked the Hanako route, half the Shizune fans would go rabid. On the other hand, if they picked the Shizune route, someone would burn down their office building.

The waifu wars are real.

Amagami SS handled that by making the 6 routes alternate worldlines in the TV anime, so they were able to do each route the way it was intended to play out rather than trying to shoehorn 6 routes into one ongoing story.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29095 on: September 25, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »

Fate did that too, since you get the Fate: Saber, UBW: Rin, HF: Sakura thing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #29096 on: September 25, 2016, 08:52:45 pm »

Actually the original Fate anime by DEEN kinda shoehorned in UBW and HF elements into it.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29097 on: September 25, 2016, 09:13:39 pm »

Well all the more reason for Ufotable to hurry up and push HF out so they can go back around to do it.

https://twitter.com/opm_anime/status/780029241769332737

OPM season 2 confirmed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:53:43 pm by Max™ »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29098 on: September 26, 2016, 03:38:25 am »

So many things getting sequels next season, it's not funny. These are just ones where I've seen the previous seasons, so I'm omitting sequels of other stuff:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season - no more to be said
Haikyuu!! S3 - most bland sports series of the decade
Brave Witches - Strike Witches 3
Lostorage Incited WIXOSS - New Wixoss. I think there was a movie in there too which I haven't seen yet
Ajin 2nd Season - CGI horror with unlikable everyone.
Hibike! Euphonium 2 - hi octane tuba-blowing action.
Natsume Yuujinchou Go - season 5. Really good, but I only caught up season 1 so far.
WWW.Working!! - Working was really funny. Happy to see more.
Show By Rock!! # - first season was weird. MC was cutest thing ever.
Anitore! XX - Anitore! is basically "training with hinako: the series"
Ame-iro Cocoa in Hawaii - "completely terrible bishonen series about a cafe. season 3." but it only last 2 minutes per ep.
Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls Galaxy - Crane Game Girls is amazing. Never seen another show like it.
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+! - very pervy ecchi harem short comedy.
Chi's Sweet Home (2016) - my life will revolve around Chi's adventures
Teekyuu 8 - love Teekyu, the show that packs an entire SoL episode into 2 minutes

I mean there are like 15 shows next season just counting shows I'm up to date with that are getting extensions. I don't recall anything like this happening before.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:43:50 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29099 on: September 26, 2016, 06:24:52 am »

I got around to trying out Psycho Pass, which isn't bad for Japan's answer to Judge Dredd.
Pages: 1 ... 1938 1939 [1940] 1941 1942 ... 2193