Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1925 1926 [1927] 1928 1929 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3073078 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #28890 on: September 15, 2016, 08:54:54 am »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28891 on: September 15, 2016, 12:10:01 pm »

Oh my god the new SD Gundam G Generation game looks so great. 4:32 onward especially. I neeeeeed iiiiiiiitttttt. So many obscure MS it's beautiful ;_;

Welp. This is as good excuse as any to continue watching the Gundamns. I didn't recognize as many MSs as I should have.
The game's an early UC only mashup of units from both the shows and pretty much all the side material ever if it makes you feel any consolation. A lot of the MS shown during the music video portion are from the Sentinel Gundam photonovel as an example.
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28892 on: September 15, 2016, 12:22:41 pm »

Yeah, I didn't see any mechs outside of the UC that I knew so I suspected that was the case. Still. All the more reason to watch Gundamns.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28893 on: September 15, 2016, 01:24:54 pm »

Gah...

Does Gate turn into a harem anime?  I'm a few episodes in and it started so strong.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28894 on: September 15, 2016, 02:01:01 pm »

Gah...

Does Gate turn into a harem anime?  I'm a few episodes in and it started so strong.
It is essentially harem.  Yes.

EDIT: The JSDF military wank one, right?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:02:43 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28895 on: September 15, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »

Yeah, that's gate. Also maybe avoid the manga if that was crossing your mind. Apparently the LNs, too, though I haven't experienced those myself. Haven't watched the anime (and won't), but from what I've picked up it's probably the version with the least amount of... problems.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28896 on: September 15, 2016, 02:33:07 pm »

Well damn.  I really enjoyed it at the start, with the whole modern military VS fantasy military theme.  I swear its like pulling teeth trying to find anime I like sometimes. 

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28897 on: September 15, 2016, 02:36:21 pm »

Well damn.  I really enjoyed it at the start, with the whole modern military VS fantasy military theme.  I swear its like pulling teeth trying to find anime I like sometimes.

It doesn't get to bad there's still enough outright slaughter of poorly prepared fantasy soldiers to keep it somewhat entertaining. But stick to the anime if you decide to try and watch it the rest are... honestly are just plain bad and nationalistic to the extreme at points.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:38:11 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28898 on: September 15, 2016, 03:04:01 pm »

I mean it was written as nationalist propaganda.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28899 on: September 15, 2016, 03:11:04 pm »

I think my process for picking stuff to watch might be flawed.  I see an animated gif on Imgur with helicopters ripping medieval soldiers to shreds, and I automatically assume I want to watch it.

Anybody have any recommendations for anime that meets this criteria?
- Main character isn't a boring high-school loser who somehow has great stuff happen to him all the time.
- Nobody trips and falls and lands on a girls boobs or any other lame tropes like that.
- Not a harem anime, and doesn't have (implied or otherwise) incest, kiddy-molestation/etc.
- Has action.
- The main character doesn't narrate every frickin thing he does.
- Not too dumbed down for an audience who doesn't pay attention.
- Has a story that progresses.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28900 on: September 15, 2016, 03:14:34 pm »

An anime without sexual harassment?

Goodness that is uncommon. Even Haijime No Ippo featured a character outright molesting a woman against her will.

Naruto? No wait that has implied rape and features a heavy use of molestation. Dragon Ball? No wait that has sexual harassment of an underage girl. World's Mightiest Disciple? No wait sexual harassment of an 80 year old man on underage girls. I'll have to think harder.

On a more serious topic... why not Samurai Champloo? (wait is that its name?... I think I got it wrong)

Err wait... Its story doesn't progress... it has a "Meander about until we hit the plot" sort of progression style. Most of the episodes are filler.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:20:22 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28901 on: September 15, 2016, 03:20:29 pm »

... if those were your go-to for trying to remember an anime that tones down or avoids the sexual stuff, I don't think you're actually thinking at all, nevermind needing to think harder :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28902 on: September 15, 2016, 03:21:38 pm »

On a more serious topic... why not Samurai Champloo? (wait is that its name?... I think I got it wrong)

Yeah, that is the name.  Its actually one of my favorites, but sadly I've seen it.   Its a perfect example of what I'm looking for though.  Not very tropey(probably not a word), just a cool story about two samurai and a girl with fun fight scenes.

I know good anime exists, its just I always end up watch 10 or 15 bad ones until I find one that is decent.  I need a magic computer that watches stuff first and filters out the crap  for me.  :D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:25:28 pm by Levi »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28903 on: September 15, 2016, 05:06:26 pm »

One Punch Man? Mob Psycho 100? One Piece may be lumped in with Bleach and Naruto as "the big three" but it's the only one worth watching, Bleach is pretty, Naruto had some neat characters but bashes them with a plothammer of stupid, One Piece is weird but great fun. Maria the Virgin Witch deserves a mention due to the AMAZING accuracy of their armor and weaponry, to the point where diehard middle ages reenactors and such point it out. Nanatsu no Taizai is a lot of fun, though it has the groping and such, if you know the backstory of DB well enough then DBSuper is a lot of fun as it goes back to the earlier series feel in many well appreciated ways, if you aren't up on the backstory I'd suggest watching the Abridged version of DBZ, it's more fun if you aren't already a DBZ fan, I'm still irked about some of the wonky models in the new Berserk but goddamn it isn't like I'm gonna stop watching it, though I wish it had the CG budget of Sidonia no Kishi.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28904 on: September 15, 2016, 05:12:12 pm »

Yuki Yuna and Madoka Magica are relatively light on the fan service - at least, nobody trips and falls and head-butts Madoka's sternum (not enough marshmallow for hell, there.). Both also have plots that end without excessive filler, though Yuki Yuna is a Hero does have a few slice-of-life episodes, they're all relevant to... well, spoilers. And none of the characters are high-school! They're middle school.

Both do have some fan service though. It's pretty much a given in anime or, really, TV in general. Togou's (Yuki Yuna is a Hero) transformation sequence does a rather unnecessary close-up on her chest, and Madoka Magica's Puella outfits can get a bit more racy than strictly necessary, but neither really have it as a focus.

The thing is, in Japan, sex sells. A lot. A lot a lot a lot. And Japan is very adam smith about how they do business, so what happens is the marketplace is saturated with fanservicy crap all the time because that's what sells the most copies.

Or, turn to live action TV. Liar Game doesn't have any fan service at all, unless you count Nao being adorable or are the type of person who gets off to outsmarting the other pretty-boy and then slowly explaining your victory using some sort of board game metaphor thingy that doesn't exist (God, I know I do. Akiyama-sensei is so freakin' cool).
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 1925 1926 [1927] 1928 1929 ... 2193